Arctic Cat Prowler Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
4WD not working, front Driver side axle pulled out, how do i fix it? Loos pretty straight forward. Slide back into place slide boot back over it and clamp? How do i get the dirt out that has collected in there? What grease should i put back in? Should I just take it to a dealer since i am no mechanic?

Pics...

OH and I overextended the rear shock trying to level out the rear end. Its now like crooked and the spring is rubbing the shock. I guess just lift it so there's no weight on the tire and unscrew it farther and then try to tighten it back on so its not crooked and cross-threaded anymore? Ideas?

·
Premium Member
3,640 Posts
Something to try on the shock, you might try a clamp to compress the spring and take the pressure off the shock while you try to re-thread it. I'm new to the prowler also so can't be much help. You can download a free pdf repair manual here: mymowerparts.com/pdf/Arctic_Cat_ATV_Repair_and_Service_Manuals/

I still don't have enough post to allow me to insert links so you'll have to copy & paste it. Hope it helps.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Didn't the xtz have trouble with axles popping out and the dealer fix is an o-ring or newer style axles? Also I would buy a small auto type spring compressor if you need to compress the spring much at all, much safer.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Can't tell from that pick but your boot looks fine. You will for sure need to clean out the diff and refill with gear oil to an inch below fill hole.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Can't tell from that pick but your boot looks fine. You will for sure need to clean out the diff and refill with gear oil to an inch below fill hole.
how do i clean it out? What do I spray something in there?

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
I would spray brake clean into the diff to flush out.

Then run some diff fluid through it with the plug out.

It does not look like the boot needs messed with just axle shoved back in.

I used the worm clamp method to compress my springs when I changed out to the 350# eibach springs from summit racing.
Would recommend the upgrade springs to level out as I tightened mine several times and they would sag again with just 1 ride.
Eibach 14002500350 - Eibach Coil-Over Springs - Overview - SummitRacing.com

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Did it just pop out under normal riding? Did the boot rip?

If some of your shock parts are damaged I have a lead on some good priced parts for you.
boot didnt tear at all. it just pulled out. I think it pulled out because i had to be pulled out of a nsaty spot with a truck. I think the wheel got turned to one side too far and pulled for a second.

no other damage

·
Registered
733 Posts
The only input I would have for this would be to def. replace the seal on that side..

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
I would probably take the shock completely off the machine. Make sure that all the threads look good before trying to reassemble.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
If the seal looks good and the clips on the axle is good then clean and flush the diff and put it all back together. This is what I would do.

i guess im stupid but i dont understand how does your boot seal against the diff or does it just sit against it tight? How do you just shove the axle in there? I dont see how the clips hold it in there?

·
Registered
583 Posts
i guess im stupid but i dont understand how does your boot seal against the diff or does it just sit against it tight? How do you just shove the axle in there? I dont see how the clips hold it in there?
The seal and boot are 2 different things. The boot just protects the inner cv. If your boot looks good (like the other ones) and isn't leaking grease or torn then the boots ok. The seal keeps dirt/water out of the diff and the gear oil in the diff. Your seal is most likely damaged from the axle coming out and laying against it. Its pressed into the outer diff and will need to be pried out, then tapped back in with a seal driver. If its bad, then the axle needs to come out, not that hard of a job really. I can pull the diff out in about 10 minutes or so, not a talent I really wanted to learn :rolleyes:

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The seal and boot are 2 different things. The boot just protects the inner cv. If your boot looks good (like the other ones) and isn't leaking grease or torn then the boots ok. The seal keeps dirt/water out of the diff and the gear oil in the diff. Your seal is most likely damaged from the axle coming out and laying against it. Its pressed into the outer diff and will need to be pried out, then tapped back in with a seal driver. If its bad, then the axle needs to come out, not that hard of a job really. I can pull the diff out in about 10 minutes or so, not a talent I really wanted to learn :rolleyes:

ok perfect thanks Ryan. I work 10 hours a day and by the time i get home its dark, so i havent gotten a chance to get back under the bike since i found this problem. Will go to dealer and get some clips and seals and tear into it soon. Well at least if its not 98 degrees and 98% humidity.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Yeah, I found out that with a few tools its really not a big job to replace the seals.. a good seal puller makes the job even easier.. I made one myself out of a flower pot hanger... lol and as for puting them back in a piece of 3 inch pvc pipe can substitute a seal driver :) there is a link on this site where you can download the complete service manual and it explains how to do it.. with pictures.. it was a great help when I did my first one.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts