Arctic Cat Prowler Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
friend of mine has a prowler, 650 H1 06, we can hear the actuator engageing and yet the 4x4 won't work, anyone give me a hint as to what to look for????

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
friend of mine has a prowler, 650 H1 06, we can hear the actuator engageing and yet the 4x4 won't work, anyone give me a hint as to what to look for????
Most likely it's the link between the solenoid that engages the 4WD. I've had this happen on a couple ATVs and Prowlers. Usually happens when it's shifted into 4WD under a heavy load or under hard throttle.
Pretty easy repair, you have to remove the 4WD actuator and replace the unit. Takes about 30-45 minutes to change out.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thank -you for your response, am i to understand that it is the actuator that is not working properly and should be replaced???

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Yes, most likely it is the actuator. Take the actuator out, rehook the wire adapter and have someone turn the switch on and off while watching the actuator, see if the little rod moves in and out. If it doesn't move, but you can hear the solenoid shifting, then it's a bad actuator.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well i pulled the actuator off, it appears to move approx 3/8 of an inch in and out , so now what????? does the little shaft going into the houseing have a gear on it , could it be stripped, when the machine is off the ground the front axels seem to turn properly.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Did you check to see if the CV shafts were pulled out of the diff, From what i hear they dont have to come out much for the 4 wheel not to work..

·
Registered
95 Posts
It could still be a weak actuator. Even if the lever moves, it may not have enough force to move the slip collar on the front driveshaft. I had to repair a 550H1 atv with a similar problem. A new actuator solved it

·
Premium Member
3,640 Posts

·
Administrator
7,232 Posts
Welcome Homeboy! Best site going! mlh1962 will lead you in the right direction!

·
Registered
3,295 Posts
Welcome to the house , now go start your introduce yourself thread so we can properly harass you :)

·
Administrator
7,232 Posts
Since this post pertains to 4WD, I have a question regarding operation of the 4WD. On my 2009, the manual instructs to be at a stop before engaging/dis-engaging 4WD. Do the later year Prowlers offer switch on the fly 4WD? They show different part numbers through the years, and believe it or not, about 200.00 dollar reduction in cost for a complete front differential!

·
Registered
3,295 Posts
you are talking 4x4 v/s 4x4 Lock right

I go in and out of 4x4 all the time at lower speeds though , or get off the throttle and shift out [or in] for a second so there isn't a gear load.

·
Administrator
7,232 Posts
Yes, straight 4WD, off or on! I've engaged mine since day one and have never had a problem. Looking back through older posts when it showed a fix for the differential pin breaking loose and destroying the case due to little bitty turkey welds! Newer models corrected the problem! Just curious about different methods used for engaging 4WD!

·
Administrator
7,232 Posts
That was my thought after reading the manual, I keep thinking I read about the shift (into 4WD) on the fly. I can't find any reference on it in any AC sites.

·
Premium Member
107 Posts
Guys that were shifting on the fly grenaded a lot of diffs in my area. I always stop before shifting in and out.

·
Registered
3,295 Posts
Guys that were shifting on the fly grenaded a lot of diffs in my area. I always stop before shifting in and out.
are you talking in and out of 4x4 or LOCKED 4x4 ??? [big difference]

·
Premium Member
107 Posts
are you talking in and out of 4x4 or LOCKED 4x4 ??? [big difference]
Both.. but I think most issues were they would switch to 4X4 once they were in the mud hole and about to get stuck.. they would have tires spinning and hit the switch.. BANG, stick a fork in it. I have just always made it a practice to have wheels stopped when switching from 2 to 4 and in 4 lock I keep the wheels pretty much straight ahead, I don't turn very much at all or CVs go snap. That is also the leading reason I want to get rid of the 30" tires, I feel they are just putting too much strain on the drive train.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts