Arctic Cat Prowler Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello . Iheard a growling noise when i was slowing down as openened up the clutch cover only to find the clutch rollers all out of place ,sideways etc. therefore i need new rollers, not sure if i need to buy anything else, not sure what too look for , but anyways a little more power /speed would be great also , what do you prowler boys recomond that i buy ,stock or a clutch upgrade or are the different rollers etc , any and all advice would be great

Thank you
Raz

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
650 clutch

Desertcat . The bike has stock rim size and tires ,,26'' , general trail riding with a few mud holes ,old Forestry roads etc , would like to have a little more power and top end.

Raz

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Raz
I would recommend factory rollers.
4red and 4blue bike will rev a bit higher and be more in the power.
I messed with my rollers in my 650xt quite a bit and liked that setup the most.

Alternate colors when re-installing.

·
Founding Member
3,867 Posts
I played with roller/weights and it is a bunch of work to find out things like you can hole shot like an animal but but only do 35 mph at top end now. I have everthing stock adn it works great for me. Without speeding some $ the stock set up really works good. I say this because I have not found a good set up that I like yet.

You can buy the rollers from any dealer. Make sure you buy the same color unless your trying a differnt weight. Shop around I have seen rollers from $5-$11 each.

Riddler brings up a great point. I did not try that set up yet. Riddler did you make any other changes to your clutch? Just 4 blue and 4 green?

Did you stay at the 50 mph for top end and gain low end?

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
So if you change the rollers to 4 blue 4 green is it a must to reclock your secondary?

If you have a stock set up, could you just change the rollers and see a difference?

No not a must to re-clock.

are you wanting to lower shift out rpm?
Cause you keep talking about green rollers which are heavier.

Stock set up roller change will raise or lower the max rpm the engine will achieve.
Depentant on if you go heavier or lighter and by how much than you currently have.

·
Founding Member
3,867 Posts
No not a must to re-clock.

are you wanting to lower shift out rpm?
Cause you keep talking about green rollers which are heavier.

Stock set up roller change will raise or lower the max rpm the engine will achieve.
Depentant on if you go heavier or lighter and by how much than you currently have.
Well first of all my primary and secondary are stock with the green rollers. I tried replacing my 23 gram green rollers out with 19 red rollers. From a hole shot stand point it was great. Higher RPM's and it would climb hills great, but it would only do 35mph. I tried mismatching red and green rollers but could not come up with a combo I liked.

I liked the take off and snappy throttle response of the red rollers but loosing the top end is not something I liked.

In a perfect world I would like more low end power and still keeping my top speed at 50mph.

This is why I keep asking all the quetions regarding the set up you talk about.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Sorry Seth I assumed you had blue rollers stock.

Do you have any blue rollers?
To try the 4blue 4green.
If not you could try out 6green and 2red

8green = 184grams
8blue = 168 grams
8red = 152g
4green 4red = 177g
6green 2red = 176g
4green 4red = 168g
4blue 4red = 160

Sounds like you want to be around 170ish.
If you clock the 2ndary you would loose more top end with the lighter rollers as they would have to work harder to overcome the spring tension.

My 650 came with 8blue.
I liked the 4red 4blue.

My 1000 came with 8green.
I put in 8 red and feel I want to try the red/blue option as I feel it could pull harder in a drag around the 55+mph range.
But I do not spend much time around that speed and like the rpm down low so it has to come as a compromise as do I want cluched for drag racing or trail riding.

My snowmachines I had 2clutches setup 1 for trail riding and 1 for the mountians with the boys.

·
Founding Member
3,867 Posts
Sorry Seth I assumed you had blue rollers stock.

Do you have any blue rollers?
To try the 4blue 4green.
If not you could try out 6green and 2red

8green = 184grams
8blue = 168 grams
8red = 152g
4green 4red = 177g
6green 2red = 176g
4green 4red = 168g
4blue 4red = 160

Sounds like you want to be around 170ish.
If you clock the 2ndary you would loose more top end with the lighter rollers as they would have to work harder to overcome the spring tension.

My 650 came with 8blue.
I liked the 4red 4blue.

My 1000 came with 8green.
I put in 8 red and feel I want to try the red/blue option as I feel it could pull harder in a drag around the 55+mph range.
But I do not spend much time around that speed and like the rpm down low so it has to come as a compromise as do I want cluched for drag racing or trail riding.

My snowmachines I had 2clutches setup 1 for trail riding and 1 for the mountians with the boys.
Ok cool we are on the same page now.
No I don't have any blue rollers and I sold my red ones.
Mine came stock with Green.
I did try al the combos of red. 8R, 6R-4G. 4R-4G, 2R-6G. I really liked the hole shot and wow it would climb a hill and hold the RPM's with all red but top speed was only 35mph. I kept changing out the combo like it shows above and when I got down to 2R-6G I gave up until I got more info. So do you think based off my 4 seat stock machine I would like the 4G-4B better or all blue? I don't want to loose my top end but more low end would be great. I am purchasing a CDI so that should help.

Thanks
Seth

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Your combo of 6g + 2r is the same as all blue.

Did you get some top end back as you decreased the # of red's?

May just have to try clocking your secondary spring next step tighter with all green.
If you cant get the top end without the heavy rollers.

I am thinking you might like that.

My machine was also modded with dual intake snorks, 700bbk, cdi, exh. header, airdam stg.1, dynojet carb kit.

PM me with your info if you want me to send you a few blue rollers to try out.

·
Founding Member
3,867 Posts
Your combo of 6g + 2r is the same as all blue.

Did you get some top end back as you decreased the # of red's?

May just have to try clocking your secondary spring next step tighter with all green.
If you cant get the top end without the heavy rollers.

I am thinking you might like that.

My machine was also modded with dual intake snorks, 700bbk, cdi, exh. header, airdam stg.1, dynojet carb kit.

PM me with your info if you want me to send you a few blue rollers to try out.
Yes I did slowly get top speed back as I decreased the # of red rollers.
I have a 2006 the first gen primary and secondary. Is it hard to clock the secondary?

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
There is a difference between my secondary and the early ones like yours.

I am not sure what though.

I do know to get it apart you need to make a spring compressor.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Great $$$ spent with airdam///

What stages?

Something to think about that I see alot and can't figure out is........
If you have the stage1 machined shiev and then get the stage3 cut spacer wouldn't you then be bringing the shiev back together and ruin your stage1 gains.

If you talk to him again would you ask him about this for me?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts