Arctic Cat Prowler Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, my xt 650 wont start, it cranks over but seems to lock up on the compression stroke. Doing my research, alot of ppl are leading me in the directipon of a valve adj. I know how to do this there is no issue there however i canot get it to a shop as it in my back 40 not starting. how cold can the engine be and still get an accurate adjustment??

·
Registered
583 Posts
Hey guys, my xt 650 wont start, it cranks over but seems to lock up on the compression stroke. Doing my research, alot of ppl are leading me in the directipon of a valve adj. I know how to do this there is no issue there however i canot get it to a shop as it in my back 40 not starting. how cold can the engine be and still get an accurate adjustment??
When mine would hit the C stroke and stop turning over a quick on-off with the key would get it to turn set them a little tighter and it should crank over. I think there's an auto decomp thing that you might need to check also.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I think its most likey only the valves because i ran it hard.... on the floor for 45mins straight the other day and then parked it were it sits now. but I will look into the decompressor also.

Did a valve adj. cure your problem?

thanks for your reply.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
It could be real cold and still do a valve adj.
I adjust mine cold going together on a rebuild.
Then check it after I run the engine in and it is still spot on.

·
Registered
583 Posts
I think its most likey only the valves because i ran it hard.... on the floor for 45mins straight the other day and then parked it were it sits now. but I will look into the decompressor also.

Did a valve adj. cure your problem?

thanks for your reply.
Yes a valve adjustment fixed my problem. It's about due for adjustment again.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks a bunch everyone for yopur replys, Im new to cats (been a honda/yamaha guy) but wanted some performance lol. this site rocks going to do top set tomorow night and hopefully ruin my rhino buddys fun this weekend. lol

1 - 9 of 9 Posts