Arctic Cat Prowler Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new to the website, and I have one other thread posted about possibly purchasing a friend's '06 650 for a discounted price due to needing repairs. Been wanting a UTV for a long time, just hasn't been in the budget as of yet. The deal above just kind of fell into my lap if I want it. So I've been considering buying my friend's if the price is right.

However, I see they have 700 and 1000 fuel injected models now (among larger motors in other brands as well). I was wondering how the the old 650 carbureted model stacks up to the new models? Is it way under powered?

I'm looking for something to tote the family around in the mountains, use for hunting, and maybe the occasional putting around in the dunes (although I have my sport atv for that mainly). Just wondering if the 650 has enough power for these things, or should I just wait till I can afford one of the newer, larger models (although I don't know when that will be)?

·
Registered
385 Posts
I don't know about the 650 but I have a 2010 700 and 1000. The 700 is stock and will run about 50 mph top end and has a good bottom end. I have a stage 1 thru 4 air dam clucth for it but not had time to put it on. The 1000 has muzzy exhust and fuel controler and stage 1 thru 5 clucth. Has all the power you need bottom and top. I had it to 74 mph when it was stock and still had more to go I just didn't have the balls to take it there. I think you would be happy with any of them just watch the 650 deal. If it cost to more to fix it then its worth you would better to get one ready to go.

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
I don't know about the 650 but I have a 2010 700 and 1000. The 700 is stock and will run about 50 mph top end and has a good bottom end. I have a stage 1 thru 4 air dam clucth for it but not had sometime to put it on. The 1000 has muzzy exhust and fuel controler and stage 1 thru 5 clucth. Has all the power you need bottom and top. I had it to 74 mph when it was stock and still had more to go I just didn't have the balls to take it there. I think you would be happy with any of them just watch the 650 deal. If it cost to more to fix it then its worth you would better to get one ready to go.
My Stock 09 700 will do 62mph, Think some of the 650s will do about 50-53 The 650s do fine at the Dunes Mustanggeek has a 650 thats a Beast at the dunes!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Power gains between the 650 and 700 are minimal. The 700 has the advantage of Fuel Injection as well as some of the new updates depending on the year and model. The 1000cc XTZ is a beast and will impress most riders but it is well in excess of what is needed. Bottom line is if you can pick up a 650 cheap they are solid and make good power. If I were buying new Id be looking at the HDX awefully hard and its only a 700.

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
power gains between the 650 and 700 are minimal. The 700 has the advantage of fuel injection as well as some of the new updates depending on the year and model. The 1000cc xtz is a beast and will impress most riders but it is well in excess of what is needed. Bottom line is if you can pick up a 650 cheap they are solid and make good power. If i were buying new id be looking at the hdx awefully hard and its only a 700.
650 hp 39.4 700 hp 41.3

·
Registered
385 Posts
My Stock 09 700 will do 62mph, Think some of the 650s will do about 50-53 The 650s do fine at the Dunes Mustanggeek has a 650 thats a Beast at the dunes!

My 2010 700 hits the rev limiter at 51 on flat asphalt. Wonder why yours gets 62 ?

·
Registered
2,681 Posts

My 2010 700 hits the rev limiter at 51 on flat asphalt. Wonder why yours gets 62 ?
I dont know But I remember Talking to Jim at BiPolar Racing and he said that some 700s Had Green Clutch rollers in them, mine has Red. I also Hit 65mph once up in thinner air and then exploded my Belt, It wasnt an Arctic Cat Belt, I lost 7mph running a Gates Belt because its wider. I have never hit a rev lim iter.

·
Registered
385 Posts
I got the clucth back in Dec. maybe I will get it on soon and see what rollers it has. It hits the rev limiter real fast, like maybe 50 yds or so. How much do the diff rollers weigh ?

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
I got the clucth back in Dec. maybe I will get it on soon and see what rollers it has. It hits the rev limiter real fast, like maybe 50 yds or so. How much do the diff rollers weigh ?
The reds are 19 grams The Green are 23 I think.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the info guys. I would love to have the power of the new 1000's, but just not ready to pay the price for one. Heck, I still have to persuade the wife into the deal on the 650, which isn't going to be easy.

I would like low to mid range power mostly for putting around the woods and for small climbs if needed during hunting. If the 650 will do that fine, then I should be happy.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have a 09 650 and I love it. Plenty of power for me, and if I had more power I would just break stuff. I think you would like the used 650 if repairs are not to costly.

·
Registered
103 Posts
When my 700 was stock it would hit 60 mph. Even with 30 on it now it will still do 50 mph.

the 650's are geared lower then the 700's so it will have plenty of HP for anything you described.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Northern Mud how did you get past the speed limiter and rpm limiter? I did not know there was away around the limiters on the 700xtx.

Joe what year machine do you have as my 08 650xt had a limiter @ 51mph.
It would not even go past it down hill.

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
Northern Mud how did you get past the speed limiter and rpm limiter? I did not know there was away around the limiters on the 700xtx.

Joe what year machine do you have as my 08 650xt had a limiter @ 51mph.
It would not even go past it down hill.
Mine is an 2009

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Sorry Joe I should have read your sig. I thought you had a 650.

I wonder why some seem to have a speed limiter and others don't.

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
Sorry Joe I should have read your sig. I thought you had a 650.

I wonder why some seem to have a speed limiter and others don't.I dont know, But mine wont reach the redline (RPM) I wonder how fast it would be if it would rpm more?

·
Registered
385 Posts
My 700 is the wife's and grand kid's so it don't need to go any faster but I would like to know how to get around the rev limiter in case I ever want to.

·
Founding Member
3,867 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
My 700 is the wife's and grand kid's so it don't need to go any faster but I would like to know how to get around the rev limiter in case I ever want to.
The limiter is built into the CDI. No way for a novice to disable. Aftermarket performance CDIs are available with the limiter at 8000 RPM. The limiters are a safety for the engine and are high enough for the stock power band. With cams, carbs, and pipes you can make power into the higher RPMs and a performance CDI may be helpful.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts