Arctic Cat Prowler Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
fuel injection wont be able to compensate for it or timing?

from motortrend.com...

Motor Trend: If higher octane fuel is used, will an engine make more power?
Rockett Brand: The answer is maybe. If your car pings/detonates, you will benefit from a higher octane. In some cases, even when detonation is not present, higher octane fuel can improve power because of its special fuel chemistry that promotes improved combustion efficiency. Improved combustion efficiency means that more of the gasoline is being burned in the combustion chamber thus making more horsepower; less is being burned/expelled in the exhaust

·
Registered
71 Posts
started using premium in all my small engines works great seems to help the most in starting the small engines i think you get what you pay for in this case. if your worried about how its burning do a plug check thats the best way to tell whats going on in the engine.

·
Registered
583 Posts
It does not burn any hotter. If anything it is going to run cooler. More octane is not going to make any more horse power unless you can burn more of it.
Yup, burns a little cooler. If you advance the timing you will need to run higher octane.

·
Registered
3,564 Posts
The real benefit from the higher octane fuels in a mild mannered motor is that they sometimes have a higher or better detergent present. I am a true believer in running as much octane as you can afford.
The pinging or detonation is the fuel all being burnt before the piston is done with the power stroke. The pinging you hear is the unloading of the mechanical parts involved in the power stroke. Rod bearings, Main bearings, wrist pins, piston rings etc. That is where a slower burning fuel comes into play. The slower the burn the less likely that the fuel will be all burnt up before the power stroke is done. Also ignition timing comes into play as well. Detonation or pinging can also be controlled by ignition timing.
fuel injection wont be able to compensate for it or timing?
Would you believe that diesel fuel has a higher octane rating than 93 unleaded?

from motortrend.com...

Motor Trend: If higher octane fuel is used, will an engine make more power?
Rockett Brand: The answer is maybe. If your car pings/detonates, you will benefit from a higher octane. In some cases, even when detonation is not present, higher octane fuel can improve power because of its special fuel chemistry that promotes improved combustion efficiency. Improved combustion efficiency means that more of the gasoline is being burned in the combustion chamber thus making more horsepower; less is being burned/expelled in the exhaust

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
291 Posts
Thats all i run in mine.

·
Registered
583 Posts
The real benefit from the higher octane fuels in a mild mannered motor is that they sometimes have a higher or better detergent present. I am a true believer in running as much octane as you can afford.
The pinging or detonation is the fuel all being burnt before the piston is done with the power stroke. The pinging you hear is the unloading of the mechanical parts involved in the power stroke. Rod bearings, Main bearings, wrist pins, piston rings etc. That is where a slower burning fuel comes into play. The slower the burn the less likely that the fuel will be all burnt up before the power stroke is done. Also ignition timing comes into play as well. Detonation or pinging can also be controlled by ignition timing.
It's hard to hear yourself think let alone hear my engine ping on my prowler. That's why I run at least 91 octane with the aftermarket cdi I have installed. I assume it must advance the timing to get any additional HP or so i've been told. The only answer I got from RMstator is that "it's plug n play". So i'll pay the .20 per gallon difference.

·
Registered
30 Posts
93 is all i have ever run in mine because i noticed on my grizzly a couple years ago i get more miles out of a tank with 93

·
Registered
15 Posts
I run 93 octane in my 650 Prowler, have started using Marvel Mystery Oil in every tank for the past 6 months, have notice a little better throttle response.:D

1 - 15 of 15 Posts