Arctic Cat Prowler Forums banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know of a better filter, guess you could call it the pre filter, on my 1000 xtz there is a filter behind the drivers seat, to me it is basically junk doesn't do much but sure gets dirty fast. Any way doesn't look like it will last much longer. Wondering what you guys are using? Maybe theres a filter sock out there that would fit? It isn't very big.

·
Premium Member
8,040 Posts
Does anyone know of a better filter, guess you could call it the pre filter, on my 1000 xtz there is a filter behind the drivers seat, to me it is basically junk doesn't do much but sure gets dirty fast. Any way doesn't look like it will last much longer. Wondering what you guys are using? Maybe theres a filter sock out there that would fit? It isn't very big.
I used a [email protected] For my stock filter and a UNI For my pre-filter.

·
Administrator
7,312 Posts
Does the uni-filter use a sock?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I used a [email protected] For my stock filter and a UNI For my pre-filter.
I am running a K&N in the air box. But want to stop some more at the pre filter. The pre filter seems very coarse and doesn't do much. Was thinking about a finer filter there but also don't want to restrict air flow.

·
Administrator
7,312 Posts
Do you think a nylon stocking would work as a sock?

Reactions: GilaElkHunter

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Now thats a possibility RD, hadn't thought of that one. Was thinking of getting some material like a filter sock or even a bigger filter sock and have the wife help me make one on the sewing machine. But don't know about airflow that way. I kinda like your idea. It gets pretty dusty down here in the desert. Thanks

Reactions: de3

·
Administrator
7,312 Posts
I've used them in the past, hold up pretty good, and are cheap to replace!

·
Premium Member
8,040 Posts
I am running a K&N in the air box. But want to stop some more at the pre filter. The pre filter seems very coarse and doesn't do much. Was thinking about a finer filter there but also don't want to restrict air flow.
Do you run your pre-filter oiled or dry.....

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It is a dry filter.

·
Registered
3,295 Posts
I've been looking at some of the air filters they use in Desert Racing / off road racing ... some really cool filters in that world. thinking about attaching one behind the top roll bar with tubing down into the air box/system ... saw some in person at the Parker race a week ago .. some nice stuff and many sizes to look at

might go to some of those sites and look around ... the one that caught my eye so far is about 15" long [+/-] and about 6 or 8" round aluminum and tig welded ..with a really interesting filter inside.

don't have the link right here in Arizona , but do some looking around ..

here is one I've been looking at .. several to see here
http://www.advancedaircleanersystems.com/superflow.htm

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks Gary, I'll have a look. would like to stay with the same size and location of original though, just better filtration.

·
Super Moderator
1,036 Posts
I use a UNI, oiled with chainsaw oil. The main filter stays very clean, even on super dry dusty, gravel roads.I used a 2" 90 degree PVC to adapt it to my inlet in front of the box. I use Dawn to wash it, then roll it in chainsaw oil and wipe off the excess.

·
Administrator
7,312 Posts
Before I added the pre-filter, my main filter was dirty after a hard ride. I'd have to clean it weekly. Now with the pre-filter, I can go monthly on the main filter. I kept a spare pre-filter and switch as needed.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Do you think a nylon stocking would work as a sock?
By the time I got the wife out of her nylons my air filter was the last thing on my simple little one track mind. Oh yeah I need to go try this.LOL:D

·
Registered
125 Posts
for those with the foam pre filter behind the passenger seat, I just got an Outerwares prefilter to slip over this. Looks like it would be easy to maintain and it is water proof, so they claim. I'll keep you posted.

·
Administrator
7,312 Posts
Pre filters are the way to go. I run my K&N dry, and pull it after 2-3 rides. Blow it out, and put it back on. I check the main filter monthly and the air in side has very little dust in the tract. Engine side is spotless!

Reactions: de3 and Stump426

·
Premium Member
8,040 Posts
for those with the foam pre filter behind the passenger seat, I just got an Outerwares prefilter to slip over this. Looks like it would be easy to maintain and it is water proof, so they claim. I'll keep you posted.
I just bought a Outerwares for my main filter.

·
Administrator
7,312 Posts
DE3, have you put snorkels on your new ride, and are they needed? Dry clutch, right?

·
Premium Member
8,040 Posts
DE3, have you put snorkels on your new ride, and are they needed? Dry clutch, right?
RD Not going to put snorkels on it,my air and cvt intake is even with my chest sitting in it.....and I don't want to hack up the body plastic doing it.yes I have no wet clutch......

·
Administrator
7,312 Posts
Don't blame you on the snorkels! Too nice looking to cut up. That is the rapid response clutch right?

1 - 20 of 54 Posts