21 - 40 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Reactions: de3

·
Registered
19 Posts
I am planning to mod up a full size pickup air box filer system as a pre filter. I rented a 700 Prowler last year in Wyoming. The guy running the rental place said their had multiple engines need replaced under warranty as from dirty getting past the intake system. (because they rent 2-6 at a time and people follow leader up and down super fine dry dust roads all day long.) AC advised them they only get 1 free replacement engine. So that is something to note. Anyhow, I have plans to pre filter with a V8 air box as I do not want to pay for a 1000cc rebuild because of a weak intake filtering design.

·
Administrator
7,312 Posts
Sounds like a good plan! My Prowler came without a pre-filter, and the intake was between the bed and the seat back! Has to be the worse place for intake air! I snorkeled my Prowler in order to get the intake up in a cleaner location. I also installed a K&N Cone filter as a pre-filter. I check my air box after every dusty ride, and I'm happy to report that the filtered air side is very clean. Keep us posted on your install!

·
Registered
177 Posts
I did the same and now only have to clean pre-filter once in awhile as regular air filter is perfectly clean. Snorkelling is the way to go,did clutch intake as well

·
Administrator
7,312 Posts
I did the same and now only have to clean pre-filter once in awhile as regular air filter is perfectly clean. Snorkelling is the way to go,did clutch intake as well
With you on that! I snorkeled mine for two reasons, remove heat, and provide cleaner air!

·
Registered
34 Posts
When I bought my Prowler I noticed that the air intake was up in the front grille. When I asked the salesman about it he mentioned that that was a modification they did to all of the Prowlers they sell.

They buy 2 inch vacuum hose and route it from the air box through the floor pan up to the front of the machine. Then they simply attach the stock pre-filter to the end of the hose.

None of their customers have issues with air filtration.

A snorkel in MN is a big no-no and comes with a huge fine unless it is stock. This works really well and keeps us legal.

If you wanted to take it one step further I suppose you could add an oiled pre-filter as well.

My Prowler is at the cabin right now but if I remember I'll add some pics of it.

·
Administrator
7,312 Posts
Welcome Scout! You must have an HDX! Great machine! That sounds like a great solution!

·
Registered
3,295 Posts
love to see pic's ... you have to post for a number of times before this system will let post pic's so when you can please do

welcome to the house also

·
Administrator
7,312 Posts
A snorkel in MN is a big no-no and comes with a huge fine unless it is stock. This works really well and keeps us legal.

Do you know if out of state licensed UTV would also be fair game for a ticket?

·
Premium Member
8,040 Posts

Do you know if out of state licensed UTV would also be fair game for a ticket?
I think in New Hampshire it's a big no no also....

·
Registered
816 Posts
I don't remember seeing anything here in NH but the Jeep guy's do it all the time.

·
Administrator
7,312 Posts
Seems like all states have their dumb ass regulations somewhere!

·
Premium Member
413 Posts
I have been away from home for a few days. While I was gone, my new 2 stage 6" Uni pre-filter arrived as did my new cans of Klotz air filter oil and air filter cleaner. I have had a single stage 4" Uni pre-filter for about 5 years. I cleaned it and re-oiled it once a year.

There is not enough space for a straight out 6" filter to fit , but I bought the angled version. It should fit with no problem. I will know for sure tomorrow.

·
Premium Member
3,642 Posts
Why are snorkels a big no-no?

·
Administrator
7,312 Posts
I was wondering the same thing!

·
Administrator
7,312 Posts
Looked it up, No Reason was given. Air intake cannot be raised any higher than 6" from stock location! Regulation had a lot of doubletalk, not clear why it is prohibited just that it is! So if I go to Minn. I have to lower my air intake to the top of the motor cover!, or plead Stupid! That is pretty easy!LOL

·
Registered
34 Posts
Wetlands are protected in MN - and many other states as well - so making snorkels illegal for public trail riding keeps people out of swamps, lakes, rivers, and other wetlands.

There are some areas of the state where snorkels are allowed because they have some man made mud pits and water holes and must realize they are necessary.

I don't know if they would ticket you if you were out of state and had a snorkel. You would have to call the county sheriff or local Conservation Officer. If it were me, I would lower it and print a copy of the rules in case you were questioned about it because honestly, not all of the people enforcing the rules understand them as the rules change every year.

·
Administrator
7,312 Posts
Yup, same as here! I can swap my pre-filter for the snorkel and be legal in less than 5 minutes! I try to comply with other states! Except when I was running around downtown Monroe, and the Chief of Police pointed out the error of my ways! Nice guy, no ticket (I'm street legal in Michigan), but he did sell me a Wi. Registration for my Prowler!

Reactions: Retired1

·
Premium Member
413 Posts
I installed my 6" pre-filter today. I am not entirely pleased yet, but I am working on it. Even with the angled coupling, it has little room to sit in. It is better than the 4" single stage, but just not quite the way I want it yet.

More photos of the install are in the link below:
Arctic Cat XTZ 1000 Pre-filter Change by Terry Fiene | Photobucket

Old -

New -

Edit: The wider hose clamp from the new filter kept forcing the rubber off the end of the plastic slightly (as seen in the photo). Using the narrower hose clamp from the old filter solved that issue.

Edit #2:
The block off panel will not snap in now (without compressing the filter side). The new filter is a larger diameter, in addition to being 2" longer. I am thinking I will add a mesh screen where the block off panel goes.

·
Administrator
7,312 Posts
I run without the panels! I put electrical components there, and I wanted air movement. Did not bother anything!

21 - 40 of 54 Posts