Arctic Cat Prowler Forums banner

41 - 54 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
The hose I mentioned in my post above connects to the original pre-filter tube coming off of the airbox, runs under the floor pan, into the wheelwell and then up to the front grille.

It seems to work really well for me and Country Cat's other customers. They said they have far fewer issues after doing that for customers. I'm sure if anyone wants more details they would be happy to talk to you. countrycat.com/ccstore/

This is on my HDX so I don't know if it will work on the two seater.

Attachments

Reactions: de3

·
Premium Member
3,643 Posts
I can see where that would help. I think I could route mine that way, the problem I would have is mine has a carb and would need to be re-jetted.

·
Registered
3,295 Posts
when you moved the location did you notice a improvement , seems like that location would be nearly as dusty as the stock location ?????????

I'd like to put a cleaner up high but just below the roof line to the rear ... afraid if I mounted it up on top the roof a tree limb or brush would rip it off ... and I'd also like to use something like I referred to earlier like the desert racers use ... can't get in much dustier conditions than the desert race trucks where it's a blinding dust

·
Administrator
7,331 Posts
The hose I mentioned in my post above connects to the original pre-filter tube coming off of the airbox, runs under the floor pan, into the wheelwell and then up to the front grille.

It seems to work really well for me and Country Cat's other customers. They said they have far fewer issues after doing that for customers. I'm sure if anyone wants more details they would be happy to talk to you. countrycat.com/ccstore/

This is on my HDX so I don't know if it will work on the two seater.
Thanks for the pic's! The two seat XTX, XT has the engine spun around on them, so the routing may be a challenge. I do like the concept!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Here is a picture of the filter after 308 miles of very dusty trails.

It may not look it but it is actually fairly clean. There is a good amount of dust accumulation around the edge but a majority of the filter seems to have very little dust stuck to it. This is the first time I have cleaned the filter so I can't say what it normally looks like after being oiled.

I also can't speak to the before vs after because the dealer I bought my machine from relocated the pre-filter.

I can tell you this - the engine definitely gets much colder air from the front of the machine than the engine bay. Also the winch keeps water from splashing into the pre-filter quite well.

Attachments

·
Administrator
7,331 Posts
Using a pre-filter on mine, and after a month, my main filter looks like that! One of the best things I did was to install a pre-filter! They didn't come out until 2010! Been re-doing my snorkels, in order to pull the dog house, I'd have to remove the snorkels! That was wearing thin, so I made a panel that holds my snorkels in place, and also it allows me to pull the cover with the snorkels in place! Much easier now!

Attachments

·
Registered
125 Posts
RD
on your last pic the snorkel has a fatter section on top. What is that? there is a wire going to it.

·
Premium Member
3,643 Posts
I think that's a blower he installed to boost air flow to the clutch.

·
Administrator
7,331 Posts
That is exactly what it is. Dr3 found these on eBay, so I had to follow suit. We did a low cost project compared to aftermarket kits.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Air filter on the XTZ

I took out the seat belt retraction device and it made more room for a bigger UNI pre filter. After a while I realized a lot of dirt was coming from the rear wheels so I closed up the air from coming from the outside and left off the cover behind the seat. That way all the air has to come from from inside the cab. It ran fine with this change. Later I found by using a sand sock it collected a lot of dust. I clean the sock every day and the pre filter every other day. I run it all summer two to three thousand miles and the main filter is still clean. I also made a billet part where the pre filter bolts on because it was hard to keep the oiled pre filter clamped to the plastic. DON~~~

Attachments

·
Premium Member
8,040 Posts
I took out the seat belt retraction device and it made more room for a bigger UNI pre filter. After a while I realized a lot of dirt was coming from the rear wheels so I closed up the air from coming from the outside and left off the cover behind the seat. That way all the air has to come from from inside the cab. It ran fine with this change. Later I found by using a sand sock it collected a lot of dust. I clean the sock every day and the pre filter every other day. I run it all summer two to three thousand miles and the main filter is still clean. I also made a billet part where the pre filter bolts on because it was hard to keep the oiled pre filter clamped to the plastic. DON~~~

Nice job....Its amazing how much the prefilter helps,,,,,,I haven't cleaned the main since i bought my buggy,I have a outerwear on my stock filter also.

·
Administrator
7,331 Posts
Pretty much the same story here! Cleaning the main every month now, and it has not really needed it! Cheap insurance

·
Registered
2 Posts
After reading your comments, I realized that I haven't cleaned the main filter for a long time, it's time to do it. But I'm not sure that I can do it myself, however, when I watched the tutorial videos on YouTube, it seems that it's easy. I'm still afraid to do something wrong. I used to entrust this to a car mechanic, but this time I decided to save money, how do you think I can do it? By the way, I decided to share with you that I was finally able to get rid of the unpleasant smell of cigarette smoke in my car. I rented an ozone generator and now my car is like new. I did everything according to the instructions that can be read on damagecontrol-911.com. Because the ozone generator can be dangerous if you don't know how to use it properly. I wonder if you used this method to remove unpleasant odors in your car?

41 - 54 of 54 Posts