Arctic Cat Prowler Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I noticed my steering wheel is quite a bit off center from what my wheels are. Wheels are straight ahead, but steering wheel is turned quite a bit.

Is the adjustment as simple as unbolting the steering wheel, and rotating it over splines to be more centered? Or is it more involved like setting the steering wheel straight and then having to go mess with the front end to center it to the steering wheel (wheels, tie rods, etc.)?

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
Yup take the center nut off the steering wheel and align it straight
The proper way to do it is to center the wheel and adjust the tie rods to turn the front tires in the direction that the wheel is off but only turn the tie rods 1/4 turn at a time and turn both side equal.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The proper way to do it is to center the wheel and adjust the tie rods to turn the front tires in the direction that the wheel is off but only turn the tie rods 1/4 turn at a time and turn both side equal.
I haven't checked my tie rods yet, but what if the tie rods are pretty evenly adjusted on both sides? Are you still supposed to adjust them over the steering wheel?

I'll look at my tie rods, but I still was thinking of going the easier route first and just adjusting the steering wheel.....

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There isn't any surprises with that steering wheel nut is there (reverse thread)? Don't want to hit it with my impact gun to take it off and rip off the steering wheel.....:D

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
There isn't any surprises with that steering wheel nut is there (reverse thread)? Don't want to hit it with my impact gun to take it off and rip off the steering wheel.....:D
Nope its a right hand thread . The problem with just moving the steering wheel if it is installed correctly the steering wont be centered. (Steering)

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I looked at the wheel alignment again really quick tonight. It doesn't look like the steering wheel is off as much as I first thought. Looks like I may be a little toe in on the alignment (at least from the naked eye). So it looks like I will be doing the tie rod adjustments afterall (and do the official front/rear measurements of the front tire to get it right).

Thanks for everyone's input. I'm slowly learning all the ins/outs of every inch of this machine.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I did one more thing tonight. I pulled off the steering wheel cover just to have a look. Good thing too, because the nut inside was loose.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Good catch.
What manuals do you have for the Prowler?
The only manual I have is the 2007 Service Manual that I downloaded from that lawnmower site posted on this forum I think......

·
Premium Member
1,083 Posts
I did one more thing tonight. I pulled off the steering wheel cover just to have a look. Good thing too, because the nut inside was loose.
thats funny.lol everyone calls me the loose nut behind the wheel:D

·
Registered
14 Posts
Anyone know the torq spec on the steering wheel nut? I've tightened mine twice after a couple of 50 plus miles of trails up at Royal Blue. Some of the trails are rocky so the steering gets a work out.'

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Anyone know the torq spec on the steering wheel nut? I've tightened mine twice after a couple of 50 plus miles of trails up at Royal Blue. Some of the trails are rocky so the steering gets a work out.'
It is only 25 ft/lbs, but w/ red loctite 271 according to my manual..

1 - 16 of 16 Posts