Arctic Cat Prowler Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So after I rebuilt my top end on my 2008 Prowler XT 650 it starts hard! Runs great after it starts and starts right up after it's warmed up. It just takes a long time to start after it sits for a period of time.
Is it something I could have done with the carb installation after the rebuild? It has better power than it has had in the past and runs smooth, just poor starting issues......Help please!!!

·
Premium Member
3,640 Posts
When you say starts hard do you mean it's hard to turn over or it turns over easy just doesn't fire up right away? If it's the latter I think I know a simple fix you can try.

·
Premium Member
3,640 Posts
I your problem is only after it sits for several days and when you go to start it cranks over good but takes a long time to start try this. There's a hose that comes on the carb on the driver's side and ends behind the clutch intake (at least that's how my '07 is). Just tilt the bed and put a bolt in the hose, you be amazed how easy it starts. I've been told that the hose is for the carb to adjust for atmospheric pressure but really don't know for sure. What I do know is if I take the bolt out it is hard to start again.

Give it a try you won't be out any money if it doesn't work for you.

Attachments

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I your problem is only after it sits for several days and when you go to start it cranks over good but takes a long time to start try this. There's a hose that comes on the carb on the driver's side and ends behind the clutch intake (at least that's how my '07 is). Just tilt the bed and put a bolt in the hose, you be amazed how easy it starts. I've been told that the hose is for the carb to adjust for atmospheric pressure but really don't know for sure. What I do know is if I take the bolt out it is hard to start again.

Give it a try you won't be out any money if it doesn't work for you.
I'll certainly give it a try mlh! I rolls over great, just takes forever to fire up when the motor is cold. Even when it sits in my heated garage! Once it starts and I run it to operating temperatures it starts great. Cool it down and poor starts again. I hooked the battery charger up to it and gave it a boost and that made no difference.

·
Premium Member
3,640 Posts
Sounds like mine, only thing I can figure is it fuel evaporation. I tried putting a check valve between the pump and the tank thinking the fuel was draining back down and that didn't help. The bolt trick worked, I read about it somewhere on the web.

·
Super Moderator
1,036 Posts
Mine does the same thing! Will do the bolt trick in the morning!

·
Premium Member
3,640 Posts
A bolt is cheaper than upgrading to fuel injection :)

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Administrator
7,232 Posts
And another happy camper! Great trick, and better yet it works!

·
Premium Member
3,640 Posts
And another happy camper! Great trick, and better yet it works!
Hope it works for them also, I've taken the bolt out a couple times and always put it back in.

·
Administrator
7,232 Posts
Simple things always seem to work the best! That is how my wife describes me! LOL

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I don't think I slept all night with the anticipation of this thing firing up with the simple bolt mod! :)
Then the big let down :( It didn't work.

So I removed the air cleaner and shot it with ether. It fired up and I ran it for maybe 15 seconds, shut it down, and she fired right back up! So my thought is the choke is not working properly??? Any ideas? Not sure how this automatic choke is set up to work.:confused:

·
Registered
432 Posts
I don't think I slept all night with the anticipation of this thing firing up with the simple bolt mod! :)
Then the big let down :( It didn't work.

So I removed the air cleaner and shot it with ether. It fired up and I ran it for maybe 15 seconds, shut it down, and she fired right back up! So my thought is the choke is not working properly??? Any ideas? Not sure how this automatic choke is set up to work.:confused:
.....doesn't hurt to have a fresh spark plug in place, even though the old one may appear good while troubleshooting. I have been told not to use ether on small gasoline engines, to use carb cleaner instead. Wish I could help more:) I'm sure more help will comment.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I just read through 14 pages of this problem on another thread and think I found the best fix. I brought the thread back to the top so others can see it or refresh on it.
So I went back out (it's about 25 degrees) and tried to start the machine the normal turn the key way, NO GO! So I reach down and hit that primer lever 3 times and WALLAAAAA, she fires up!
On my way to O'Rilleys for a primer choke cable AND a new spark plug :)
The big question here is why did it just start doing this after 2500 miles or after the new rebuild on my top end????

·
Registered
432 Posts
I just read through 14 pages of this problem on another thread and think I found the best fix. I brought the thread back to the top so others can see it or refresh on it.
So I went back out (it's about 25 degrees) and tried to start the machine the normal turn the key way, NO GO! So I reach down and hit that primer lever 3 times and WALLAAAAA, she fires up!
On my way to O'Rilleys for a primer choke cable AND a new spark plug :)
The big question here is why did it just start doing this after 2500 miles or after the new rebuild on my top end????
Maybe just fouled plug, helped mine out on starting when I changed it as normal maintenance.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Maybe just fouled plug, helped mine out on starting when I changed it as normal maintenance.
Although the plug looks fine I will be putting in a new one. If the plug was bad I don't why it would start with no effort after the machine is warmed up. Fuel issue is where I'm leaning! I need to put some break in miles on this new top end and take it from there. Just the same, the primer cable mod is great for those cold starts. I'm talking -30's! We use this machine to feed my mules/horses even when it's minus zero's so I need reliability!

·
Super Moderator
1,036 Posts
Yep, he bolt trick worked great. I did it before I started it to go for a "New Seat" test drive. Started right up! Thanks for the tip!

·
Premium Member
3,640 Posts
Sounds like results may vary, someday I might add the choke cable for the primer but so far I've had good luck with the bolt.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I did the choke cable mod this morning. Works awesome! Now why couldn't Arctic Cat think of that. At least for very cold starts.....Wow!:mad:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts