Arctic Cat Prowler Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all:

What kind of air filter oil do most of you folks use? I tried a couple of the local automotive shops and all they carry is K & N filter oil. Haven't tried any of the local quad dealerships yet. Is it just motor oil or is motor oil a reasonable substitute? Not going to scrounge on this, but if motor oil has proven just as effective , I've got plenty of that lying around!! :D

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
Hi all:

What kind of air filter oil do most of you folks use? I tried a couple of the local automotive shops and all they carry is K & N filter oil. Haven't tried any of the local quad dealerships yet. Is it just motor oil or is motor oil a reasonable substitute? Not going to scrounge on this, but if motor oil has proven just as effective , I've got plenty of that lying around!! :D
If your machine is under warranty I would use Arctic Cat Oil, Mines out and I still us AC oil.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts

·
Registered
3,564 Posts
The uni oil works excellent. And it even comes off very nice when it is time to clean the filter. And it sprays on. Very convenient to me.
When it is time to clean the filter I do not use the uni cleaner. I grab a 5 gallon bucket with a little Tide in it. And fill it with hot water. Or at least enough to cover the filter. Let it sit and it pulls the oil and dirt right out. You can agitate by hand if you are in a hurry. But I have found that just letting it set for a 1/2 hour to a hour is good. Even separates in the bucket. Hose or sink rinse it out from the inside out. Then blow from inside out with air. Then just let it finish drying in the sun. Pretty cheap cleaner at what .25 cents worth of tide and .25 cents worth of hot water.
The Tide works excellent on k&n filters too. I guess cause they are cotton.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
583 Posts
The uni oil works excellent. And it even comes off very nice when it is time to clean the filter. And it sprays on. Very convenient to me.
When it is time to clean the filter I do not use the uni cleaner. I grab a 5 gallon bucket with a little Tide in it. And fill it with hot water. Or at least enough to cover the filter. Let it sit and it pulls the oil and dirt right out. You can agitate by hand if you are in a hurry. But I have found that just letting it set for a 1/2 hour to a hour is good. Even separates in the bucket. Hose or sink rinse it out from the inside out. Then blow from inside out with air. Then just let it finish drying in the sun. Pretty cheap cleaner at what .25 cents worth of tide and .25 cents worth of hot water.
The Tide works excellent on k&n filters too. I guess cause they are cotton.
I reoiled with uni oil last year when I was in the process of getting my jetting right after snorkeling. The uni oil is so thick it threw my jetting off and left me scratching my head. I made a few unnecessary jetting changes before I realized what was up and cleaned/reoiled with 40wt motor oil. It's just too thick for the stock ac foam filter in my opinion. It works great on my uni filter mounted on my daughters buggy though.

·
Registered
618 Posts
I use the No Toil cleaner and filter oil.

Use water for cleaning and completely bio-degradeable

Been using it on all my machines for years.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
I use the No Toil cleaner and filter oil.

Use water for cleaning and completely bio-degradeable

Been using it on all my machines for years.

The No Toil is what my lil bro uses and he loves it.
He still races moto-x so he does alot of filters.
He puts them in the washing machine :confused:

·
Registered
583 Posts
Sounds like you used way too much then if it changed your jetting. If you are gonna use that much it should probably be wrung out. Works excellent for me.
40wt oil is way thicker than UNI air filter oil.
40wt is mucho thick, I meant to say 10w-40. The uni oil I have is very thick and sticky. I doubt I used to much because I try to be carefull, but then again I've done dumber things.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks fellas, I'll stop my dealer on Monday and pickup whatever they have on stock. Just got the 650 back together, not riding until next weekend when we tow it back to the cabin.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts