Arctic Cat Prowler Forums banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Administrator
7,279 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've decided to mount a 40 CF Nitrogen Tank on my trailer. It will be used for my impact, and other air tools when we are on the road. I already have the cylinders needed, just need a regulator. 40 CF should be big enough for this purpose, and if not I'll go up to an 80 CF bottle. When we were at H&M Trails and my fixed plate came off, I only had hand tools. Not sure I could have tightened the nut by hand. Can also fill tires if needed! What do you guy's think? Pro's and Con's welcomed. Thanks RD

·
Registered
404 Posts
Love the idea of having power tools with me on my out door adventures. But I don't haul mine hardly any where. I ride mine to which ever riding spot we decide to go.

Pros -
you'd have tool
Nitrogen expands and contracts less compared to air for tire pressure purposes
The air tools would be quiet while running

Cons -
Buying a lifetime tank lease $$$
Finding a refill station near your broke down unit of you run out:confused:
Refilling in general $$$$
Possibly not enough pressure to tighten high torque nuts and bolts.

Have you thought about a gas powered air compressor?

·
Administrator
7,279 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good Points! Thanks Chaz. I own three 40 CF Compressed Tanks now that are set for Argon, or Nitrogen use. I would carry two bottles on the road, and 50 feet of air hose with quick connect fittings. Just not sure how much nitrogen I would use with my impact per bolt/nut. I'm only concerned with the high torque nuts - primary, and secondary, plus wet clutch nut. I carry a battery powered impact for everything else. I think this plan will work for me, but will test at home before I get fully committed!

·
Premium Member
8,040 Posts
Good Points! Thanks Chaz. I own three 40 CF Compressed Tanks now that are set for Argon, or Nitrogen use. I would carry two bottles on the road, and 50 feet of air hose with quick connect fittings. Just not sure how much nitrogen I would use with my impact per bolt/nut. I'm only concerned with the high torque nuts - primary, and secondary, plus wet clutch nut. I carry a battery powered impact for everything else. I think this plan will work for me, but will test at home before I get fully committed!
Great Idea RD one of us might need it up in NH next year.

·
Administrator
7,279 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The way we have been hitting the roads, I hate the idea of not being able to work on anything major because of the lack of tools. My spare parts bins have almost everything I would need for repair. I'll bring it to NH, but we will not need it! Cabin is reserved, I'll get you the information.

·
Premium Member
8,040 Posts
The way we have been hitting the roads, I hate the idea of not being able to work on anything major because of the lack of tools. My spare parts bins have almost everything I would need for repair. I'll bring it to NH, but we will not need it! Cabin is reserved, I'll get you the information.
I think I started something about the ride on the Hatfields and McCoys ride.I will change it to up north..............:)

·
Administrator
7,279 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sounds Good!

·
Administrator
7,279 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I researched air tools, and they are using CO2 to power them. I have a 40 CFM Aluminum cylinder full sitting in the garage for my wire feed! Just need a regulator and the project is ready for the road! Plan on putting it on a cross bed tool box. Need the box for travel, as now we put everything in the back seat area of my truck. Going to test it this week when I change rollers for snow plowing! Going lighter, so RPM's are up.

·
Registered
3,295 Posts
ever think about onboard air for the truck

1.power air tools
2.fill tires
3.loud ass train or air horns
4.low costs if using a reclaimed air conditioner compressor [many online sites for info n plans]
5. hell millions of uses :)

·
Premium Member
8,040 Posts
I researched air tools, and they are using CO2 to power them. I have a 40 CFM Aluminum cylinder full sitting in the garage for my wire feed! Just need a regulator and the project is ready for the road! Plan on putting it on a cross bed tool box. Need the box for travel, as now we put everything in the back seat area of my truck. Going to test it this week when I change rollers for snow plowing! Going lighter, so RPM's are up.
do you think your 25 gram rollers are to heavy for shoving snow..........

·
Administrator
7,279 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
No, but it is extremely low speed, I'd like to keep the RPM's up as I want maximum electrical output when using the plow, and secondary battery.

·
Administrator
7,279 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I leased the truck, so modifications are out! But that is something others may find interesting! Thanks

·
Administrator
7,279 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Across bed tool box is being used, I can clamp it in.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Older thread, but what about a cordless impact? I love mine, and it's just a cheapo from Harbor Freight.

·
Administrator
7,279 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thought about one, but did not want to buy one at the time. Was not sure that it would break loose the CVT nuts, or the hubs (200 FT. LBS.), I had a straight argon tank, I swapped for the nitrogen tank (tried CO2, but the connections froze up and released all of the line pressure! Too wet!), The regulator was my only purchase, and I can go up to 400 PSI if I need too! Works very good, I recently mounted the cylinder on my trailer, and will put all of the tools, and hose in the trailer tool box. I don't ever want to be sidelined again while on the road. That is what started this! Fixed plate nut came off, and ruined our ride at H&M Trails! Another story.

·
Premium Member
8,040 Posts
Thought about one, but did not want to buy one at the time. Was not sure that it would break loose the CVT nuts, or the hubs (200 FT. LBS.), I had a straight argon tank, I swapped for the nitrogen tank (tried CO2, but the connections froze up and released all of the line pressure! Too wet!), The regulator was my only purchase, and I can go up to 400 PSI if I need too! Works very good, I recently mounted the cylinder on my trailer, and will put all of the tools, and hose in the trailer tool box. I don't ever want to be sidelined again while on the road. That is what started this! Fixed plate nut came off, and ruined our ride at H&M Trails! Another story.
I just bought a craftsman 1/2 drive cordless impact gun,it says 200 ft lbs of torque, but it will be great for taking off lug nuts and other things......

·
Administrator
7,279 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Keep hearing about those! They would be great if they can break the clutch nuts loose! Was it on sale? I'm heading to ours Sears hardware/appliance dealer shortly.

·
Premium Member
8,040 Posts
Keep hearing about those! They would be great if they can break the clutch nuts loose! Was it on sale? I'm heading to ours Sears hardware/appliance dealer shortly.
RD it was a little over 100 dollars impact,charger,battery,used it today on some rusted lug nuts worked great.I should have bought one a long time ago.:)

1 - 20 of 60 Posts