Arctic Cat Prowler Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I just got back from my second vacation this year and it was AWESOME! Took a full week off this time and headed up to camp near Red River Hot Springs. We made several great runs during that time:
1) Anderson Butte Lookout Tower: This was a 22 mile (one direction) ride from where we were camped. The trail was awesome and, luckily, had been cut out well enough for UTVs to get through. Typically this time of year there is a LOT of snow to contend with and generally don't get to make it all the way to the tower. This year, there was not a spot of snow to be seen and the Huckleberry bushes already had nice green berries only a few weeks away from being ripe. The lookout tower is a 65 foot tall structure and was well kept up by the Forest Service. The trail was a blast and was quite like a roller coaster ride.

2: American River Run: This ride was quite the workout. The trail was only partially cut out for quads and it took a couple tanks of saw gas to clear out. It was a very technical ride with a lot of steep rock crawling both directions. This ride was about 27 miles one direction and took a good portion of the day to complete (mainly due to the slow progression from clearing trail and how technical it was). There were several small creek crossings and some fun muddy spots we hit along the way. Once you drop down into American River, you're greeted with beautiful scenery as the trail follows the river up. (sorry....I didn't grab my camera for that run).

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
3: Burnt Knob Lookout: This was by far my favorite run. The trail definitely needed cleared out and we did so much that we were almost out of saw gas. So we decided to only cut was was needed and climb over whatever we could. Safe to say, I tested the limits of my machine and cleared some pretty decent sized logs. Once we left the trail, it connected us to the MacGruder Corridor road. We followed it for about 28 miles looking for the turn off to Burnt Knob Lookout tower. MacGruder isn't a very technical road but gives some gorgeous scenery and nice dips and climbs in elevation. Once you hit the turnoff for Burnt Knob, the fun begins again as it's a very rocky climb up to the lookout. Once there, the scenery is some of the best you'll ever see.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Overall, the trip was awesome. We got to see a ton of elk, got some great fishing in, memorable rides and lots of relaxing around the campfire. The kids had a blast catching crawdads out of the creek. It was nice to actually be able to utilize our new toy hauler and my wife was really happy with having all the additional room and ability to shower. I can't wait until next year to do this trip again!

·
Administrator
7,263 Posts
Great ride! Thanks for sharing!

·
Registered
3,295 Posts
boy when I see my Home area I miss it so much .... sure wish I had been able to stay but hey it is what it is

Thanks for the memories of a great Idaho ride !!!

GUYS I told you Idaho was the best of the best :)

Reactions: Mavic19

·
Registered
518 Posts
Man, those are beautiful pics. That does look like a great time.

·
Administrator
7,263 Posts
I keep looking at the pic's! How far is Idaho from Michigan?????????????????????? Next Year might be doable!

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Looks like some great areas to ride and a lot of fun. Maybe one of these days I'll be fortunate enough to make the ride with you. It would be fun to finally get my family out in the Prowler, and do some camping in the toyhauler in the process.

·
Administrator
7,263 Posts
Shane, how is your move going? Hope all is well!

·
Premium Member
3,640 Posts
Beautiful country there, looks like a fun and relaxing trip.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks!
Mike: New SxS is still on preorder. The 800cc models are all in but mine is the 1000cc four door X model. As much as I'd like to have had it, I'm in no hurry. The ol' Prowler just keeps on tickin along. I will be looking forward to having the additional HP though. There were a couple hills where I seriously was running out of steam while charging up. I'd almost done the 750cc big bore kit, but I'm not sure if it would provide me the additional "fun power" I'm looking for. Thought about an XTZ 1000 for a brief moment, but my wife reminded me that we'd be in the same boat as our 700 XTX with a cramped rear seat in a bed. Not the most convenient.

RD: It would be a heck of a drive from Michigan, but if you're up for a road trip next year, I guarantee you'd live the riding. Gary will attest that the area up there is absolutely gorgeous with hundreds of miles of amazing trails to run.

Shane: Once you get all settled in and are ready to ride, let me know. We can take our machines and toy haulers up to Idaho City for the weekend. Great riding up there and it's only about a 45 minute drive from Boise.

·
Registered
3,295 Posts
Thanks!
Mike: New SxS is still on preorder. The 800cc models are all in but mine is the 1000cc four door X model. As much as I'd like to have had it, I'm in no hurry. The ol' Prowler just keeps on tickin along. I will be looking forward to having the additional HP though. There were a couple hills where I seriously was running out of steam while charging up. I'd almost done the 750cc big bore kit, but I'm not sure if it would provide me the additional "fun power" I'm looking for. Thought about an XTZ 1000 for a brief moment, but my wife reminded me that we'd be in the same boat as our 700 XTX with a cramped rear seat in a bed. Not the most convenient.

RD: It would be a heck of a drive from Michigan, but if you're up for a road trip next year, I guarantee you'd live the riding. Gary will attest that the area up there is absolutely gorgeous with hundreds of miles of amazing trails to run.

Shane: Once you get all settled in and are ready to ride, let me know. We can take our machines and toy haulers up to Idaho City for the weekend. Great riding up there and it's only about a 45 minute drive from Boise.

heck I'd be up for a ride again up there ... a summer meet up would be a blast ... so who's in :) .. Bout 7 hrs. from me

·
Administrator
7,263 Posts
I'm interested, have to see what we do this winter before I can commit!

·
Premium Member
8,040 Posts
Thanks!

I know hat you mean Mavic19,I have almost run out of steam also.....I have a hill beside my house thats about 40 yards long,and at the top it gets real steep,If I dont get a run for it I will run out of steam towards the top and thats in low,but I can only get a 10' run,even after adding a mikuni pumper carb ,a Epi clutch kit,a dyna tec CDI,And a better exhaust system,and to be honest it still bogs some towards the top.....if i dont get a run it will spin out...lol and i really dont want to come off of it backwards.......

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Shane, how is your move going? Hope all is well!
RD, it hasn't been as much fun as we thought it would be. With equity from our house in UT, we thought it would be fun shopping for a house here and would be ahead of the game. However home prices are up here just like everywhere else. So it has been very stressful looking for a house that satisfies both my wife's and my wants in a budget we set for ourselves (caviar dreams on a spam budget):laugh:. Most of the time we are ready to kill each other.:mad::laugh: Still trying to get used to the new surroundings both at work and temporary home.

·
Premium Member
8,040 Posts
RD, it hasn't been as much fun as we thought it would be. With equity from our house in UT, we thought it would be fun shopping for a house here and would be ahead of the game. However home prices are up here just like everywhere else. So it has been very stressful looking for a house that satisfies both my wife's and my wants in a budget we set for ourselves (caviar dreams on a spam budget):laugh:. Most of the time we are ready to kill each other.:mad::laugh: Still trying to get used to the new surroundings both at work and temporary home.
Hope you find something soon,my son in law lives in Oklahoma....omg I could not believe the prices for homes.....you guys that live outwest must make good money........:D:D

·
Administrator
7,263 Posts
Shane, just take it as a test! All will work out, just keep the faith! I had pretty much the same when I uprooted my wife from downstate MI. to a rural community! Yikes, talk about a culture change! No place to shop, country people, lifestyle change, and on, and on! We visit the city now, and the wife can't wait to get home! Thank God for country living, much to be said about it! We learned to make our own fun!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reactions: Mavic19 and Essness

·
Registered
3,295 Posts
AMEN to above !!

·
Administrator
7,263 Posts
Now I just need the "T" Shirt! LOL

1 - 20 of 21 Posts