Arctic Cat Prowler Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, this won't be your typical newbie thread. I am from Chetwynd, BC. We picked up our 2012 700 xtx about two weeks ago. Two days after, was in a pretty horrific crash in it. Going about 40-45 km/hr down a very slight incline, about 8-10 degrees. My boss was in his wildcat at the bottom off to the right, but I saw the brake lights and just hit my brakes too hard. Tire caught a small rut, and we flipped 5 times mostly end over end, but stopped facing the opposite direction, laying on the passenger side. My passenger was my Bosses wife, as my wife was riding with him. His wife didn't like the way he was jumping, and felt it would be safer with me. Should have been, I wasn't doing anything crazy.

Other than some severe bruising, and sore joints, and a mild concussion, I am fine. Tailgate tried to go through my rib cage, my arm stopped it though. Have a pretty interesting bolt pattern in the ribs though, went through my coveralls, and shirt. She wasn't as lucky. Closest we can figure, she was knocked out on the first hit, and her arm left the vehicle. She came very close to losing it below the elbow, as it was broken very badly, with severe soft tissue damage. Also broke her shoulder in three places. She will be okay in the long run thankfully. Everybody has been good at it, the only person who seems to blame me, is myself. They say it was an accident, but all I really think is what I could have done different. We were not wearing helmets, which we should have been. The seatbelts definitely saved our lives, no question about it. My wife turned around to watch us come over the top and saw the entire thing happen, apparently we were 3 or 4 feet off the ground between hits.

I would post pics, but it won't let me for 15 posts or so. I am on photobucket, username Gardenfan, and album Prowler if you are curious.

·
Premium Member
8,040 Posts
Thanks for answering my P/M glad you could join,And yes that was a very different member introduction.Glad everybody is gonna be alright in time,sounds like a very serious crash,I think you were even more lucky since you weren't wearing helments.I take it, it totaled the prowler.Welcome to the best prowler site.:)

·
Administrator
7,232 Posts
Welcome to the site, glad everybody will recover! Accidents are unpredictable, and unfortunately they happen, but the main thing is you lived to tell. Thanks for sharing, it has to be hard to do. RD

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, and the Prowler is not too bad. Upper control arm on the rear, and the box is destroyed. Other than that, it will be easy to repair compared to us!

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
Welcome and WOW! You both are lucky to still be here. Sorry to hear.

·
Premium Member
3,640 Posts
Welcome to the site, I hope everyone makes a complete recovery.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey fellow northern BC'er sorry to hear about your venture hope everyone recovers fully
I am sure Tim and the clan at the Cat shack will help you out with the buggy as he has been a great help to me over the years . as well as the fellows on this forum only been on here for a short time but it seem everyone is willing to help when we have problems.

WELCOME

·
Premium Member
1,083 Posts
welcome to the family ...hope everyone is ok

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Sorry it has been so long. Haven't used or been around my prowler much since the accident, still only has 150kms on it or so. But I have to get working on it now to get it ready for hunting. It is driveable right now, but needs a bed. Thinking of building one from scratch. I also have harnesses ready to go but need to install brackets for the shoulder mounts.

My passenger is doing well, all things considered. She underwent muscle grafts, and skin grafts, even blood vessel grafts. She almost had to have a bone graft as well, but the bones finally started to grow together to close the gap on their own, so thankfully that won't be needed.

This was my brand new Prowler last June.

This was the Prowler a few days later. We think it flipped 4-5 times, and did a 180 before stopping on it's side.

Rest assured, that the cages on these newer Prowlers are excellent and saved our lives.

·
Registered
3,295 Posts
nasty looking , sure glad ya survived this wreckage

·
Premium Member
3,640 Posts
Hope she has a quick and full recovery, sounds like a good selling point for the new style cage.

·
Administrator
7,232 Posts
Bad way to learn about the cage, but at least everybody is recovering! Glad it held up!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks everyone. Believe it or not, the only damage to the running gear was driver upper control arm bent way beyond help, and a minor alteration needed to the lower control arm bracket where it meets the spindle. Needs a minor wheel alignment on the front. Rims cleaned and tires rebeaded and they have held air fine for 6 months so no problems there.

I am seriously considering a shock upgrade, I think a better tuned suspension, could have possibly prevented it, but who really knows. Need to design a new bed for it, because it is over 1 grand to put the stock bed back together, and then by the time you get the gun racks, etc, I might as well just build something myself.

·
Premium Member
1,083 Posts
Thanks everyone. Believe it or not, the only damage to the running gear was driver upper control arm bent way beyond help, and a minor alteration needed to the lower control arm bracket where it meets the spindle. Needs a minor wheel alignment on the front. Rims cleaned and tires rebeaded and they have held air fine for 6 months so no problems there.

I am seriously considering a shock upgrade, I think a better tuned suspension, could have possibly prevented it, but who really knows. Need to design a new bed for it, because it is over 1 grand to put the stock bed back together, and then by the time you get the gun racks, etc, I might as well just build something myself.
that's problably the way I would go too:D

1 - 20 of 40 Posts