Arctic Cat Prowler Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Administrator
7,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Started my bar project, I ordered 1 1/8" DOM tubing, same size as the factory X brace. The bars will be welded to the X brace at the front, and a cross tube will be added in the middle, back end will be bolted to the rear roll cage. Tube mount in the back is 3/16" mild steel. I'll add pictures as I make progress.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
8,040 Posts
Started my bar project, I ordered 1 1/8" DOM tubing, same size as the factory X brace. The bars will be welded to the X brace at the front, and a cross tube will be added in the middle, back end will be bolted to the rear roll cage. Tube mount in the back is 3/16" mild steel. I'll add pictures as I make progress.
I know thats one of the best things I did was install a bar from front cage to rear cage,a friend of mine got trapped in his for over an hour when he rolled it over on a tree,thats when I installed mine,I see they can be bought from a vendor also.119 dollars..................mine is 1''1/4 dia solid stock.:) I also put a handle on both sides.

·
Administrator
7,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That is what I'm doing! The roof will hide them.

·
Registered
3,295 Posts
I sure feel better having my roll bar reinforced .. the trees being held out by a plastic roof didn't make me feel good the 2 times it happened and also when I laid it on it's side [for a brief rest period LOL] .. I used 1.75 DOM thick wall .. it's stronger that the factory roll bars .. and mine is welded front and rear , also right at the roof line.

as a plus .. my lady friend [soon to be wife, juneish] is thinking I'm a hero LOL .. she was with me when I laid it on it's side and got all womany on me . took a while to get back to normal lol

·
Administrator
7,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Trying to make this a bolt on, where I can remove the X brace, and the side bars will come with it. I keep looking at the X brace and visualize laying against a tree! It would go across the seats! My wife would never talk to me again if that was to happen! All in all, still a bad thing! LOL

·
Premium Member
8,040 Posts
Trying to make this a bolt on, where I can remove the X brace, and the side bars will come with it. I keep looking at the X brace and visualize laying against a tree! It would go across the seats! My wife would never talk to me again if that was to happen! All in all, still a bad thing! LOL
I was really surprised the cage was designed that way,as far as the square cage I like it, a lot of options,as far as bolting extras on.RD I bolted mine on in case I ever had to take it off.

·
Administrator
7,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I kinda like the square tube cage, and I'm staying with my 09!

·
Registered
3,295 Posts
I lifted off the total cage all together after the weld in extra bars .. wasn't all that big O deal .. roof was still bolted one when I did this.

·
Administrator
7,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I never thought about taking the whole cage off at once, not a bad idea!

·
Registered
3,295 Posts
just remember to lift just a lil so you can disconnect the wires then remove it.

BTW a overhead pulley and strap helps a bunch but the weight is not even front to back so be careful or four corner it for the strap so it pulls even. also a long ratchet strap help on reinstall as the roll bars tend to separate a lil and the strap will pull them back together for alignment to the holes/tubes

I had to learn how to do this as I borrowed a small toy hauler that the Cat couldn't fit in .. went a 8 hr. trip for a long ride with my Honey so needed a rolling hotel or she would not go, you know how Ladies and sleeping bags n peeing in the woods are. anyway the A/C was a tight fit even with the roll cage off but it worked out good. .. now would I do this again , ummm probably not LOL

·
Premium Member
8,040 Posts
just remember to lift just a lil so you can disconnect the wires then remove it.

BTW a overhead pulley and strap helps a bunch but the weight is not even front to back so be careful or four corner it for the strap so it pulls even. also a long ratchet strap help on reinstall as the roll bars tend to separate a lil and the strap will pull them back together for alignment to the holes/tubes

I had to learn how to do this as I borrowed a small toy hauler that the Cat couldn't fit in .. went a 8 hr. trip for a long ride with my Honey so needed a rolling hotel or she would not go, you how Ladies and sleeping bags n peeing in the woods are. anyway the A/C was a tight fit even with the roll cage off but it worked out good. .. now would I do this again , ummm probably not LOL
I second that,sleeping bags,tent,and peeing in the woods dont get it with my wife either.:(

·
Administrator
7,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Sounds like another woman thing! I have a cherry picker with a 4 pt. sling, it would work, but as easy as it is to take the cage off, not sure if I'd ever do it. But never say never!

·
Administrator
7,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Got them clamped in place, want to remove the dash panel before I tack weld them on. Sure as hell, if I don't pull the gauges, I'll shower them with sparks and pit the faces! Rough cut the diamond plate for the dash plate, I think it will be alright once it is finished!

·
Administrator
7,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I tack welded the bars, next step is to remove the X-Brace and finish the welding, clean the bars, prime, and paint. I used 1 1/8" DOM for the main bars, 1/2" DOM crossbar (.125 wall). Nutserts will be used to attach the rear bar. I also have several gussets to weld in.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
8,040 Posts
I tack welded the bars, next step is to remove the X-Brace and finish the welding, clean the bars, prime, and paint. I used 1 1/8" DOM for the main bars, 1/2" DOM crossbar (.125 wall). Nutserts will be used to attach the rear bar. I also have several gussets to weld in.
Looks darn good RD,great protection.................:) good pictures.

·
Administrator
7,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Taking it off today, hopefully all of the tack welds hold!

·
Administrator
7,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Finished welding, now to make it pretty!

Attachments

1 - 20 of 39 Posts