Arctic Cat Prowler Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wondering if the benefits are as noticeable on the prowler as they claim they are on the H1 atv?

·
Registered
2,681 Posts

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
You remove the slide/diaphram from carb and drill an 1/8 hole in the the offcenter hole already there. It's supposed to give much better throttle response and is highly recommended amongst the atvers. heres a pic:
Thank You.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts

Good tutorial...
have you done yours yet?????:D
I got to finish cutting down my ft. windshield...
Just cut the cage 4" last night..

I will do mine and let you know what I thought.
Maybe in a few day's.. I think I am gonna lower my seats when I am done with the windshield tonight. Gotta drop the seats my head is way too close to my speakers now.

If you do it b-4 me let me know how you like it.
Thanks

·
Registered
277 Posts
I did the slide mod to my 650 Prowler when I had it. I noticed a difference. Not a big difference, but a difference. It was pretty easy, so I don't see how you could go wrong.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Did you clip the spring as well?

If so how many coils?

Thanks
I thought clipping the coils was to make the throttle easier to push (thumb). The pedal on mine is already a little too jumpy so I'm leaving the coils alone.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
My understanding is that the slide is vacuum operated and clipping the spring lets it open faster with the less resistance.

I relate it to my edelbrock thunder 800 on my mud drag truck.
It has a spring you can adjust tight or loosen it to make secondary valve come in sooner or later.

This is just what I thought the spring mod was for. I don't know for sure now that you raised the ?

The spring is on top of the slide so I would assume that it is not a throttle return spring.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My understanding is that the slide is vacuum operated and clipping the spring lets it open faster with the less resistance.

I relate it to my edelbrock thunder 800 on my mud drag truck.
It has a spring you can adjust tight or loosen it to make secondary valve come in sooner or later.

This is just what I thought the spring mod was for. I don't know for sure now that you raised the ?

The spring is on top of the slide so I would assume that it is not a throttle return spring.
I'm going to flaunt my carb ignorance here: I thought the spring was between the slide and the 'roof' of the carb, thus serving as a return spring?? I'll tear into mine this weekend and do the mod, looked pretty easy.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Yep it looks to be between the slide and the roof of the carb.
That is what shuts the "secondary" when there is no vacuum. It is a return spring for the "secondary". And as engine vaccum overcomes the spring tension it allows the "secondary" to open not the main mechanical butterfly valve "primary".

Looks like there is a spring on the pedal to return the pedal.

And a spring under the black cover on side of carb where cable comes into.
The one under the black cover would be the one to close the manually operated butterfly valve and push the cable back into it's sheath.

I'll get a better look at it here in a hr. or 2 when I start to lower my seat's. And get the seat bases and brackets out of my way.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yep it looks to be between the slide and the roof of the carb.
That is what shuts the "secondary" when there is no vacuum. It is a return spring for the "secondary". And as engine vaccum overcomes the spring tension it allows the "secondary" to open not the main mechanical butterfly valve "primary".

Looks like there is a spring on the pedal to return the pedal.

And a spring under the black cover on side of carb where cable comes into.
The one under the black cover would be the one to close the manually operated butterfly valve and push the cable back into it's sheath.

I'll get a better look at it here in a hr. or 2 when I start to lower my seat's. And get the seat bases and brackets out of my way.
I tore into it and I see what you are saying about the spring. I left it alone and just drilled the slide for now. I'll let another prowler owner try clipping the spring first, lol. If it ever quits rainging i'll go for a test ride.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I took her for a ride and I have to say it's worth it. Not hard to do and a noticeable difference, you don't find those kinda mods often!

·
Registered
199 Posts
How big of a difference did it make? And what kind of diffrence, more power off line, over all power??? Just courious!! before i do mine..

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Thanks

I took her for a ride and I have to say it's worth it. Not hard to do and a noticeable difference, you don't find those kinda mods often!
Awesome!!!
I have the air box and all out now doing the seat lowering I guess now is a good time to do the mod as well!!

Very much appreciate the post and updates!!!!

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
How big of a difference did it make? And what kind of diffrence, more power off line, over all power??? Just courious!! before i do mine..
Its not a HUGE difference, throttle response is snappier and that probably gives the illusion of more power but I doubt there really is much more if any. I didn't get a chance to run wide open but there is a noticeable difference off the line and part throttle. After rereading the writeup I think i'm going to take 4 coils off the spring.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Its not a HUGE difference, throttle response is snappier and that probably gives the illusion of more power but I doubt there really is much more if any. I didn't get a chance to run wide open but there is a noticeable difference off the line and part throttle. After rereading the writeup I think i'm going to take 4 coils off the spring.
Please let us know how the coil mod workes as well.. Thank you!!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts