Arctic Cat Prowler Forums banner

1 - 20 of 457 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The new Can-Ams, a new RAZR, is there any new info on upgrades to the XTZ to compete? The Can-Am site and info shows significant advantages over the XTZ, speed, handling, and gas milage.:eek: I saw that AC has an new CEO, do they have anything in the pipeline to keep up and exceed the newer stuff?
The reality is this segment is like the auto industry, continous improvement and better product, I really do want to purchase an AC but I want something at the head of the pack.
The last issue of UTV magazine had a very good article on AC up on the Kibab, Northwest Arizona for those not familiar with the area, and quite remote, they were very positive on the dependabiltiy of the AC's, so are the issues I see because you guys are abusing your machines? :D
I know mechanical stuff will break just trying to get an idea before I spend my dollars. I have not found any info on upcoming improvements or machines to intice one to the AC side.
I know several of you are dealers and have some insight so can you at least give us a tease of what and when we may see some inspiring machines to whack the competition?

·
Registered
192 Posts
I am Positive that im tired of spending money on a already expensive machine just trying to keep up with a bone stock machine that costs thousands less than what I have spent. there I said it!

·
Registered
192 Posts
Im still spending cash trying to stay in the pack so until I can power away at will no im not happy enough, Ill spend more money and see if that makes me happier. :mad: build me a machine that will smoke the XP and slap a good warranty on it then I'll be happy!

·
Founding Member
3,867 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
:D
I am Positive that im tired of spending money on a already expensive machine just trying to keep up with a bone stock machine that costs thousands less than what I have spent. there I said it!
Always remember if it has TITS or WHEELS sooner or later it will give you trouble. And your buddies will manage to find bigger of both

·
Founding Member
3,867 Posts
:D
Always remember if it has TITS or WHEELS sooner or later it will give you trouble. And your buddies will manage to find bigger of both
I have friends with $60K-$80K invested in long travel V-8 Sand cars. They are fast and smooth. When they break something they sure wish they had a UTV. One damaged some right front suspension parts last weekend and it looks like it will cost about $3K and that's before chroming and powder coat.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
Im still spending cash trying to stay in the pack so until I can power away at will no im not happy enough, Ill spend more money and see if that makes me happier. :mad: build me a machine that will smoke the XP and slap a good warranty on it then I'll be happy!
If AC builds a machine to smoke the XP, it won't be long until someone makes a machine to smoke the AC. Staying in front of the pack is always expensive no matter what brand you have. Someone always comes along with something better.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Does anyone have access to AC's sales numbers in the ATV and UTV markets over the last few years, and how their numbers compare to their competitors' numbers in terms of market share? If AC's market share is growing, you may see a new higher performance UTV. If their market share is falling......ain't gonna happen. No business case. Period.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Good point, from what I have read they are going great guns in the ski market, and several new ATV's being introduced. It would seem that improvements to move to the lead in the side by side market would be a no brainer. Everyone is always improving, compare a 67 or 05 Mustang to a 11 model, but if you are outrun by .0001 seconds that is much better than finishing 15 seconds back. A bit of attention and you can make that up. Which is why I am curious about the new CEO is he a Mullay type or a old GM type? Leadership will always determine outcome.
Now about that dependability issue??!!! :)

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Unfortunately, ATV and UTV market shares are mostly lumped together. But AC holds about 9% marketshare. Polaris is much higher, in the high 20 percentile range. Honda holds the highest, but that is due to the TRX450 and the low priced rancher models.

And as for going to the CanAm site to get info, CA is very biased. They claim that their 800 will outrun the XTZ, but at the Pahrump UTV Rally in Utah last August, ATV Illustrated Magazine decided to see what the real results are.
In 3 out of 3 races, 300ft long, the XTZ smoked the Can Am 1000. And I talk to many that say the same when they have raced the Can Ams. It's all a numbers game, they will find some way to make their machine look better.

The new RZR XP 900 is an awesome machine, but remember, so was the Can Am when it first came out, now it's bad sides are showing and more and more folks are talking bad about it.

Arctic Cat is building something that you will all like. That is till the next newest hot ticket comes out. That's the nature of the beast. It's like computers, buy the newest and best, in 6 months it's obsolete.

So I would say, build your Prowler into a machine that you enjoy riding. Make it reliable for your type of riding, many of us abuse these machines far beyond what they were designed for. And don't tell me that RZRs hold up better, I know plenty of RZR owners that cuss their machines much worse than goes on around here. Tranny's going out (several times in one month for some), bad air intakes (Popo never fixed it), front diff bearing cages made out of plastic!!!, tip over prone, power steering that feels like and electric switch with no feedback....and much more...

If you want to build your XTZ to where it's the fastest machine out there, then hold on to your wallet, speed costs money. I know a guy that put over 30 grand into a RZR, then he went to Glamis and won race after race. That is till the next machine comes along that had 40 grand spent on it... Then you park it on the trailer cause you had your a$$ handed to you...

·
Registered
106 Posts
I raced a Commander at Glamis on the sand drags twice, and we each won a race depending on who got out the hole faster. The Commander will pull me on top, I don't see how an XTZ would be smoking a Commander I think that's a little far fetched.

His looked stock (may have had mods?)

Mine has intake/exhaust/programmer

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
I raced a Commander at Glamis on the sand drags twice, and we each won a race depending on who got out the hole faster. The Commander will pull me on top, I don't see how an XTZ would be smoking a Commander I think that's a little far fetched.

His looked stock (may have had mods?)

Mine has intake/exhaust/programmer
Well, that's what ATV Illustrated Magazine reported in the November 10 issue. And I talked to the driver of the Cat, Nick Bullock from D & P Performance in Cedar City, UT. He confirmed it.
I have seen big differences in XTZs and how they performed. One man and his son in law both bought XTZs one week, the son in laws would outrun the father in laws by 3 lengths in a football field length.

but I stand by the results posted in the mag and what Nick said. check it out for yourself...

1 - 20 of 457 Posts