Arctic Cat Prowler Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have owned my artic cat about a month now and so far have had no problems , I hauled 3 loads of woods in from the timber and used 4 wheel drive and all the gears and it ran perfect , but now I have a problem a comming on and would like some ideas on just how to fix it ,or at the very least tell me which way to go.
I have a rear tire going flat . yep ! losing air slowly . Just thought it would be maybe a first to post a problem as this ,,so lets have it !! What should I do about it to fix the problem?
All imput will be read and and considered. LOL have fun .. gopapa

·
Registered
291 Posts
I have owned my artic cat about a month now and so far have had no problems , I hauled 3 loads of woods in from the timber and used 4 wheel drive and all the gears and it ran perfect , but now I have a problem a comming on and would like some ideas on just how to fix it ,or at the very least tell me which way to go.
I have a rear tire going flat . yep ! losing air slowly . Just thought it would be maybe a first to post a problem as this ,,so lets have it !! What should I do about it to fix the problem?
All imput will be read and and considered. LOL have fun .. gopapa
You can take it off and fill your bath tub with water place your tire in it and rotate it slowly to see where the leak is and put a plug in it or get some slime and put in it and run it for a while to make sure the slime gets all over the tire inside and it will seal up the slow leaks.

·
Registered
166 Posts
you could take it to a tire shop and they can fix a slow leak for you. Unless you see where the tire was pucntured the leak is more than likely coming from the bead or the valve stem.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
In my case I do not hit the sands or do I race (anyway not yet. LOL) so it looks like I should carry a spare wheel with a tire on it all pumped up if I get away from my property such as a trail at some far away park....

Maybe not needing tubes though ,,still thinking on it.. I put tubes in my wheel borrows so when I haul heavy loads I dont roll the tires that make me lose air out from the beads.. does this explanation make sense?

·
Registered
291 Posts
You have to realize some people who have never plugged a tire are a little squeamish about doing so. Hell i have put as many as 7 in one hole at times. Those rocks are hard on side walls. I always carry about 30 plugs and a 12 volt compressor.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Forget the tubes gopapa. Too much trouble. Plugs are easy. As glamis said a spary bottle and some soapy water will find the leak, the slime or a plug will probably take care of it.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You guys are alright ,and if you didn't know it ,,then now you do, thanks for all the suggestions.

I dont have no rocks on my place to give me flats ,except for some 3/4 minus on drive way. I do have limbs that could be sharp enough providing that these tires are not tough as 4 ply small truck tires . I have hauled many loads of wood out of the woods and no flats with my trucks.

I have a big compressor in my shop and was thinking I will have to start it up to pump up the tire . I gave my small pan cake compressor to my son and he lives to far to use it .. But ,,now that someone mentioned the 12 volt charger ,I will see if mine has what it takes to pump it up and see if it holds air before I take it off and repair it.

I dont have the tool to plug tires as I never get flats . good Idea to have one and the plugs to go along with it..

I never fix my wheel borrow tire flats either because the tires are so small that they take small tire tools to get them off the rims .. Got any ideas on what to use ,or have to get the tires off your UTV rims ? Or, what you use ,,big screw driver ? small spring from leaf springs? ect ect

Any way ,,thanks and if any body has more thoughts on this ,,I'm interesting in listening .. gopapa

·
Registered
3,564 Posts
A tire shop can get them off if you want. Or you can do what I have to sometimes is lay the tire down flat and remove the valve stem. Lay a 2x6 or 2x8 that is about 3-4 long on the side wall right up close to the wheel. Like about 1/2 from the bead of the wheel. Then drive the left front tire of your pick up up the 2x6 till the bead is released. Turn the tire over and repeat. Then use your tire irons or very large screw drivers to remove the tire from the wheel.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
e
It does but I am not sure if you realize what it takes to knock one of these of the bead.
I have a bead breaker and it still took me and hour to break down and change one tire.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well , after seeing that all my tires were down to about 4-10 lbs each I cranked up the big compressor and pumped them up to 28 lbs.
Now ,, you guys on the sand probably run atound 13 lbs I would guess ,,and that is a guess and you can correct me .
so, in what I am doing with my Cat ,,hauling wood , and trail riding for sight seeing and not racing ,,what would you recomend what I should run my tires at as for air preasure.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Well, Arctic Cat recommends only 10 psi in the tires, alot of sand people air theirs down to 4 psi. You might find that 28 psi is just too much air pressure and want to air it back down.

·
Registered
291 Posts
I have to agree 28 psi is to much air pressure, I run 12 psi in mine but i run hard in extreme conditions.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Ok ,,I read that they are not supposed to be aired up over 32 lbs..thats why I took them up to 28 ,,More traction at a lower volume ,,right? so I will back em off to about 15 and see how I like it ..question : do I let the air out of all 4 of them at the very same time ? Or will it be okay to just let it out one tire at a time?,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,J/K thanks all

·
Registered
93 Posts
Ok ,,I read that they are not supposed to be aired up over 32 lbs..thats why I took them up to 28 ,,More traction at a lower volume ,,right? so I will back em off to about 15 and see how I like it ..question : do I let the air out of all 4 of them at the very same time ? Or will it be okay to just let it out one tire at a time?,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,J/K thanks all
depends on whether the ground is level or not.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts