Arctic Cat Prowler Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got one of theese machines and wonder if there are any prob with this system. MY tcat gave me fits with this.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Could anyone explain the problem with the SLD and why delete it :confused:

Thanks ! ;)

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
I agree, get rid of it. Dean's kit is the best for doing that.

The SLD is a clutch pack located in the nose of the rear diff. The problem with them is, they get burned and start slipping more and more. Granted, they are designed to be the weak link in the drivetrain so that you don't break CVs, axles or the diff itself, but all too often, the pack gets fried and then they start slipping most of the time. I pulled mine out and with less than 250 miles on them, they were turned gloss blue (indicating they were burnt). I installed Dean's SLD Delete kit and the first time out, realized how much power I was losing with the old SLD. Yeah, I have to worry about breaking other parts now, but I have more control over the power delivery and performance.
SLDs may be fine for beginning drivers, but for off-road performance, they suck...

·
Registered
3,295 Posts
thanks D
I didn't have a clue either

·
Registered
27 Posts
Ok, thanks, I understand... but the delete kit could invalid my warranty, and I took 2 years total... but now I know what to check for in the thrust feeling, if ever I feel slippage, then I'll know what it could be, thanks ! ;)

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Moss Magnuson Act provides that a manufacturer cannot void a warranty based solely on a modification, unless that modification can be shown be the cause for failure. For instance, putting bigger tires on a UTV can and will void a warranty claim towards anything in the drivetrain, but not in non-related parts. Changing the axle or any such thing wouldn't affect the warranty unless that can be shown to cause the warranted problem.
Many dealers try to say a warranty is voided completely, but that is against federal law. Problem is, many don't have the money to hire a lawyer and fight the dealer and corporation over a $500 repair.
Changing the SLD will affect the diff, axle, cv and driveline warranty, but shouldn't have an effect on the engine or chassis.Talk with your dealer in advance, find out their opinon, they are the ones that will relay info to AC.

I will say, Arctic Cat strongly advises dealers to not modify or endorse modification of machines, but that is to keep the lawyers happy. There are dealers out there that do modify machines, usually under a seperate business name... I can name a few (ahem, don't look at my profile pic okay) such as Wildcat Willys.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Oh, and over 2/3rds of the XTZ1000s I've sold, had to have the SLD's replaced at one point or another... you guys that hit the sand dunes or sandwashes are the ones that burn out the SLDs first... and then bigger tires also....

SLDs are great for trail riding and such, but aren't made for true hp performance.
If you are worried about your warranty, keep the SLD and if you think it's slipping, have the dealer warranty it, but once that warranty is gone, I'd be changing it... unless I'm a slo-trail poke...

·
Registered
27 Posts
Since I am covered by our Provincial Consumer's Act, which basically says that a sold item is covered for at least its "reasonable life expectancy" by the Manufacturers, no matter what warranty they give, I know buying an extended warranty is just to "buy" peace of mind (and ease) in case of a claim... I could go to our "warranty" courts, they are free and don't generally require lawyers to be involved, but that's still a hassle...

As mentioned though, if I am to delete the SLD, it might affect warranty on whatever damage it is supposed to "save" because it is a modification as such. It won't affect the whole warranty, that I knew, but didn't want to get into specifics :D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts