Arctic Cat Prowler Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ordered a set of tracks a little over a week ago and got a call from my dealer that they were in. I had dropped my XTZ off last Saturday for them to look into my coolant smell and low coolant reservoir for the 2nd time. Hope they get it fixed this time being they didn't do anything to it last time. (no problem noted) Anyway I'm going to have them install the tracks while they have it. It's a little late to be asking but has anyone had much experience running these. I have a lot of snow around my vacation place and I'm hoping that I can get around in some of that 3-4 feet of snow we have.

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
I ordered a set of tracks a little over a week ago and got a call from my dealer that they were in. I had dropped my XTZ off last Saturday for them to look into my coolant smell and low coolant reservoir for the 2nd time. Hope they get it fixed this time being they didn't do anything to it last time. (no problem noted) Anyway I'm going to have them install the tracks while they have it. It's a little late to be asking but has anyone had much experience running these. I have a lot of snow around my vacation place and I'm hoping that I can get around in some of that 3-4 feet of snow we have.

Sorry never had tracks. But I know I would not give pay work to a dealer that cant do my warranty work when needed, As a Retired Ford tech I dont accept no problem found!

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I picked up the cat today with the tracks installed, they didn't get the water pump reseal kit in this past week so it's back to them Monday. I got to play around the house and take about a mile ride up the snow covered road out front of the property. I didn't try any hill climbing today being by myself. My son & his wife came up this evening to play in the snow tomorrow so I'll try a little hill climbing then.

·
Registered
271 Posts
ArcticChat.com >> It's All About the Pride®

just wanted to put this out there, arctic cat finally recalled the water pumps in the H2 1000cc motors. every single one i've seen has been a problem. you might aught to get your dealer to look at his new service bulletins and order you the correct parts to fix the leaky water pump.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
We got the XTZ out today, the snow is about 2 feet deep with 4 foot drifts. Driving straight down the road work really well even on a good incline. I was able to go trail busting to a point even driving over hidden sage brush. On the steep hill side I was surprised just how far we could climb, could have done better if the snow would pack. The snow just doesn't pack well, would be hard to make a snow man out of it. We had fun sledding and riding one of those large round biscuits you pull behind a boat. The wife wouldn't ride the biscuit and sure in the hell didn't want to ride down in the XTZ ether. She finally closed her eyes and I drove straight down the hill, we had gone down the road and had followed a canal back to the steep hill side. All in all I was very impressed how well these tracks functioned. We did manage to get stuck briefly with 4 adults, 2 kids and a dog. We dug out and got back into some tracks I'd laid down earlier and loaded back up with everyone and drove back to the house.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Ametric, That is a great looking track set up. I have tracks on my XTX and they kick ass! I have had my machine in as much as 2ft of fresh powder on top of 6 feet or more and no problem. You will notice that hill climbing can be challenging in powder. If the snow firms up a bit you can go anywhere you want. Be carefull getting out of the machine in deep snow it can be very dificult to climb back in when you are chest deep in the stuff. Have fun with those tracks and keep us updated on your fun.

One note for you... I have had some trouble with the tie rods bending with the tracks on. There is a lot of stress involved in turning the tracks. I installed some aftermarket tie rods from Prestige and the verdict is still out on those. I think they are going to be better in the long run but it might take some tweaking. The stock tie rods on my machine didn't break but they bent where the threads start. So just take it easy when you are trying to turn at high speeds or in a technical section. If you just don't go ramming into a rock or a log burried in the snow at full turn you should be ok but keep an eye on them just to be sure.

If you do break a rod and have to drive the machine out, I found that the winch comes in real handy for this. I hooked the winch cable to the inside of the track frame on the side of the broken rod and it keeps the track from turning to the outside. then you can use your in/out winch control to control the steering to limp it back to your truck or house.

Have fun. If you have any other questions feel free to send me a message.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Nice tracks ametric...how did they work?
I picked the cat up on Saturday (01/16/10) and took it up to my place in the hills. My first run was up a snow covered county road that a neighbor had already run up with his cat with tracks. I went as far as he did not having any confidence to try further. The next day my son showed up and we road up again the same road but continued further pass the old track into fresh snow. The road had a good steady up hill grade and we had no problems climbing it. I did try and see just how steep a guy could go :D we got almost to the top of a hill side but the snow was too loose and we dug in. The cool thing was I put it in reverse and out we came. The cat won't go as many places as a snow Mobile but certainly more than one with just standard equipment. The other thing to note was when ever we got out of the cat and walked we sank all the way to our knees, very hard to walk in. I dropped the cat off again on Monday so they could install the special ordered parts for the water pump. I can't wait untill next weekend, we have been getting snow off and on this week. :):):)

·
Registered
27 Posts
Nice tracks!!!! I just saw a review on a set of tracks on a utility quad (think it was an arctic cat also) on one of the offroad tv shows. I think the name was tatu, or something like that, anyway they performed awesome from what I saw. They were able to climb steeper hills, float better on soft terrain (due to less weight per sq inch), roll right thru deep mud, and it also had an advantage in creek crossings. He had the quad almost completely submerged, and it continued on, whereas with tires, the air in the tires gave them a tendency to float or 'be lighter' crossing the creek. I was extremely impressed with them, and am extremely jealous of you ametric, damn those are nice. Now granted the review was on a quad, I would think the same principles would apply. Very nice.....I am sooooo jealous, nice

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'll be picking up my Cat later this week, they installed the problem water pump parts. They also had to do some readjustment on the left rear track due to it not riding flat on any surface. The dealer says they have it repaired and I'm good to go. I sure hope so it has been snowing off and on for a week now and I've parked my tractor with the snow blower up at the house. My neighbor called last Friday and wanted to know if I would be clearing his driveway, he said the snow was waist deep. :) This picture was from a trip we made before Xmas. http://www.dixiecreek.net/images/dixie pics/Jan 2010 Christi & Sadie.JPG :eek:

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Wow do you guys get snow or what. Man i would love to live there.
Someday I hope to live there year round for now it's weekends and spare time. I was watching the news tonight and another 4-8 inches possible. :eek: :eek: :eek:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts