Arctic Cat Prowler Forums banner

1 - 20 of 97 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have an Arctic Cat heater/defroster kit installed? Looking at installing one. Just looking for input on how good they work. Ease of installation and durability. Pics would be cool, if anyone has them. Gonna finish up on my under cowling fan/heat ducts first. If it works 1/2 way decent, I'll ditch the heater idea. Thanks!

·
Administrator
7,229 Posts
I think they take up all of the underhood storage, but can't swear if its true! From the kits I've seen, they are pretty much complete.

·
Premium Member
3,640 Posts
They do take up a lot of room under the hood, I pieced my own heater together to save a few bucks. I can post some links to parts if you decide to go that route. Going at higher speeds mine has a little trouble keeping up with the air leaks in the cab but when plowing and on trails it gets warm.

·
Super Moderator
1,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sounds good, Mike! Yes, they look pretty massive. But no real good pictures to go by. Just the one on the box.

·
Premium Member
3,640 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,640 Posts
They don't carry the same heater I bought for about $130 but this one looks the same.
Summit Racing® Automotive Heaters SUM-991106 - Free Shipping on Orders Over $99 at Summit Racing

If I had it to do over again I would have bought this one, the one I got is a little wide and had a problem getting all three ducts ran, dash support was in the way on the passenger side.
Summit Racing® Automotive Heaters SUM-991102-1 - Free Shipping on Orders Over $99 at Summit Racing

I used this duct kit and ran the 2 outside vents to the defroster and the center to the floor.
Summit Racing® Heater Duct Kits SUM-991103-1 - Free Shipping on Orders Over $99 at Summit Racing

Then you'll need the Y fittings for the coolant lines and they ain't cheap either:
Y-Fitting 1" Radiator Hose to 5/8" Heater Hose - Universal Parts Inc. | High Performance Automotive Cooling | Humboldt, IA

And now for the pump which will circulate the coolant even when the thermostat shuts, I think they also use it because the core will be higher than the radiator. This is the same model number Arctic Cat was including in their kits at the time. I found mine cheaper on eBay.
Heater Craft - Pump 12v 1 Gallon Per Minute Shrflo for Arctic Cat

The parts add up pretty quick but I'm sure you can find some better prices on some of the parts.

·
Premium Member
3,640 Posts
Ok after this I'll quit posting for a while. Here's a couple pics of different factory AC heater installs. Looks like the kits may have changed a little over the years.

·
Super Moderator
1,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Heck no, post away all you want! Looks like your set up takes up a lot less space and is alot cheaper. Thanks Mike!

·
Premium Member
3,640 Posts
One thing I've noticed about my heater is you can't tell much difference in air flow between the low & high fan speeds and I sure it's all a matter of fan trying to push more air than it can get from the air leaks in the storage box. I think I'll pull the rubber seal off and see if that increases the flow.

If you don't ride in deep mud or water you could install a self contained heater under the dash and recirculate the cab air as it's heated. Had a friend put a Firestorm heater in his Ranger and it worked great until he swamped it, took some cleaning but he got it working again.

·
Premium Member
3,640 Posts

·
Administrator
7,229 Posts
I'm gonna bid just to drive the price up! LOL Heater still not on my want list yet, I need suspension upgrade next!

·
Registered
3,295 Posts
I'm gonna bid just to drive the price up! LOL Heater still not on my want list yet, I need suspension upgrade next!
and you want us to believe that LOL , we know it's another shelf project for you , can't fool us >:)

·
Administrator
7,229 Posts
I have been looking at Vintage Air Units!

·
Premium Member
3,640 Posts

·
Administrator
7,229 Posts
I used their products when I was building cars. Never unhappy with them! They have a complete line of HVAC parts for the automotive line!

·
Registered
220 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hey, thats the one I was looking at! Brat!!!

·
Super Moderator
1,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

·
Administrator
7,229 Posts
You Bad! LOL

·
Registered
23 Posts
I installed an AC heater last year in my prowler. I ended up purchasing it used, not sure I would fork out what the new units go for. It works great once the engine is up to temp., I use my prowler mostly for ice fishing and plowing and usually have to drive a short distance before the heater starts to work.
If I ever get around to adding an alternator, I would consider looking into an electric heater for backup.

1 - 20 of 97 Posts