Arctic Cat Prowler Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gonna put new head gaskets in myself so I know they are done right this time and thought while I am in there I might as well mill the head and install some aftermarket cams if there are any available.. Anyone know where I can get some cams or mine reground for some more power?

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Chris I will check with them.. I went riding with some friends today in the sandy washes by wickenburg that had LT rhinos with 686 kits, cams, CDI box, muzzy exhuast, clutching etc etc and I was surprised how fast they were flying through the washes cuz they kept up with my Xtz pretty good.. So its time for some upgrades so I can reclaim my "Man I have been sitting here for 10 minutes waiting for you guys to catch up" status :D

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Checked out the cams speedwerx has and they are $551 for the XTZ :eek: I guess its turbo time instead.. sandchris, I read about your super secret computer for turbo charging.. Is it like a FMU or something more like MegaSquirt? My buddy is one of the developers for FreeEMS but that wont be ready for 6 months.. I want it now.. Enlighten me with what you have and I will probably order one from you today.

·
Registered
3,564 Posts
This is a stand alone fuel enrichment computer. In my opinion the best thing to do is leave the stock computer alone and that way the thing runs just right at idle and every where else. And also every thing like the speedo gas gauge tach warning lights etc still work. I am not sure if a aftermarket computer could work with all of your stock gauge cluster. It might but highly unlikely that it would have the capability or right values for all of that. If it does that is great. I have to tell you though the harness to inter grade that would be a little bit of work and probably some trial and error. The reason I went into that was for some guys who might not know what you and I were talking about.
It is not a fmu or fuel management unit. Which is just a fancy name for a stepped fuel pressure regulator. Or a ratio fuel regulator. Not that that would not work with a journal bearing turbo. How ever the stock AC fuel pump needs to be flow tested and would need a open loop system instead of a closed loop system to use a fmu. Now with a ball bearing turbo highly unlikely that a fmu can get rich enough fast enough to work and not have detonation and broken engines.
The box that i have will actually start putting fuel in before you see boost on your gauge. Because the engine will be starting to go lean because of the volume of air it is getting from going from 10 inches of vacume to when you see boost on the gauge. You will feel by the seat of your pants the engine start to pull better just before you see boost. And of course this box has a boost start and a quantity adjustment. The boost start lets you set when the extra fuel is starting. And of course the quantity is how you set how much extra fuel is added. It is map sensor based so the map sensor does all the work. No pc or laptop needed to set. A 02 sensor and wide band are good tools to have with it though.
Don't get me wrong a after market computer would be better in that you could take some timing out and do a few more things with the fuel curve. And that would make a few more ponies. But for simplicity and cost this magic box is hard to beat. Also with this box very easy to put back to stock for resale or dealer work.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I like the easiness factor of this box do you have one that I can purchase? I have paypal or can call you with a CC or send you a check.. This is a good idea IMO instead of a aftermarket comp.. We have been left on the side of the road a few times messing with a megaquirt aftermarket computer on pony cars so it is a really good idea to rely on the factory computer for the crucial stuff.. My buddie has a wideband he said I can use to tune it with if I weld in a bung.. Next venture will be clutching!

·
Registered
3,564 Posts

·
Administrator
7,365 Posts
I saw one on ebay for a 1000, think it was for the rear cylinder

·
Premium Member
8,040 Posts
I need a set of stock cams for a xtz 1000 2010 model
Whats wrong with yours lobes wore off,not real sure where you can get them besides e-bay or try amazon or you could send your stock ones and have them re-ground through speed werx or web racing cams.I'm sure through A/C they would be a fortune.....................

·
Administrator
7,365 Posts
Unreal what the cam grinder wants for a cam core! 220-250 for a single cam, dual cams are in the 550-580 range! I found a good core on ebay for a 700 for less than 100.00. Nobody (at least I didn't find any) offers new cams for the 650,700, or 1000 ATV/UTV market. Every one is welded, and reground! Web Camshafts is the only firm that provided specs on their cams! The camshaft selections are limited. Web Cams will do a custom grind, but who knows what to specify!

·
Registered
404 Posts
1 - 18 of 18 Posts