• Other

Votes: 1 4.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
I voted Happy. The only down side is after market accessories. But I did realize that even before I bought it. This is my first SXS and would buy it again in a heart beat.

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
I voted Happy. The only down side is after market accessories. But I did realize that even before I bought it. This is my first SXS and would buy it again in a heart beat.
Thank You, You do have a Great looking Prowler!

·
Registered
277 Posts
Happy.......now that I got a few issues ironed out.

·
Registered
618 Posts
Happy with machine and dealer, just need more ride time

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
I am very happy with my XTZ. You may ask, "but why did you modify it so much?" Plain and simple, the XTZ was designed as a dual purpose, trail and utility machine. Yes, they put a big engine in it, but they kept the same utilitarian seating position and chassis layout.

I know, without a doubt, I drive hard. If you give me a steel ball, I'll break it. I am one of those people that can push a machine to it's limits and beyond. And knowing that I'm that way, I know that the XTZ WILL NOT HOLD UP UNDER MY DRIVING STYLE!!! But then again, neither will a RZR XP900 or Canned Ham...My driving style is more suited to a trophy truck than a UTV.

With that all in mind, I proceeded to drive my machine for a few months to find the weaknesses. I found them... then I proceeded with Prowler Build 3.0.

I'm sure, I'll break more parts, burn more belts, and find ways to abuse it, but that is NOT Arctic Cat's fault. They built a good machine. Yes, it has some problems. But you know what, so do Polaris', Can Ams, Yamahas and others.
I the last month, I have seen the follow carnage on the trails:

1. Can Am X with the front spindle that had fallen off.. (the owner put it up for sale that evening, said he had too many problems with it so far).
2. Polaris RZR-S and RZR with dusted engines from improper air cleaner seals.
3. Polaris RZR-4 that went thru the original transmission, then another and now is on tranny #3.
4. RZR XP900 with bent trailing arms...(actually saw many of these at ROTR).
5. Yamaha Rhino that couldn't keep from vibrating apart every 5 miles...it was common to stop and let them tighten this or that..
6. Can Am with problems with the "Throttle-by-wire" system..seems the throttle likes to shut off completely when the machine is jumped hard, causing it to severely nose-dive.
7. Weak front drive diffs and belts in RZRs...those are a dime-a-dozen occurrence.
8. Weak roll cages on RZRs and Teryx's... don't roll or you are F*^%$...
9. Power steering insensitivity and "too electric" feeling on Polaris power steering units. Which in 2 cases that I saw in person, resulted in RZR roll overs in dirt PARKING LOTS, both under 15mph.
10. Bent chassis on RZR's and RZR-S when jumped or hitting ledges in sandwashes. 3 times, each resulting in major damage to the chassis and in one case, totalling it.

Do you want more, it's out there... I could go on and on and on.
It boils down to how you drive and what you do with it. I submit, AC did not plan on their XTZ being run as hard as it is. They built a UTILITY UTV, not a sport machine.

My biggest gripe is that it's taken years for AC to come out with a sport specific machine. But I knew enough of it almost a year ago and you should be glad that AC waited till the RZR XP900 came out to release theirs, doing that enabled them to build a better machine to 1-up the RZR. And now, Polaris will have to spend significant amounts of money and lose profit to out do the AC before Polaris' break-even point on the XP production run (it takes almost 3 years of machine production to break even on tool-up and engineering costs, and major changes prior to that, costs them lots of money).

I don't blame Hollon or anyone else for buying a RZR-XP900, hell, I've admired that machine myself. I do blame anyone for buying a Canned Ham... saw 3 of those break down on the trails at Moab last week. And I'm sure it was quite embarrassing to the Canned Ham owner that Shawny125 smoked at the races that week.
But Hollon and others will be back when the Wildcat comes out and makes it's name. Hope that the cost cutters and accountants don't strangle the performance of the machine, that's what you need to be screaming to AC now...

BUT I LOVE MY XTZ, EVEN IF I HAVEN'T GOTTEN TO DRIVE IT IN A YEAR...cause I know what I have now..an XTZ-DR...

·
Registered
82 Posts
I bought my XTR threw a AC dealer who snagged it out of surplus. I saved huge, but zero warranty. I figured the money saved... who needs warranty. Well ya Mine being a 09 had all the bugs in her... so couple gaskets later I was back up and running.

It seems the Rzr is what the 5.0L Mustang LX was in the 90's ... Seems everyone has them.

I enjoy being the only 1000 out on the trail. I constantly get asked to "race" by rzr owners and I tell most, you will loose so lets just enjoy a beer. Nope, they have to race... and sure enough... the loose. Even the guys who cheat and launch early still loose, just takes a few extra seconds to run then down and pass them.

Will I buy a XTZ again YES... a wild cat... probably not. The Prowler is just perfect for me and my style of riding. I will how ever, the second Darryl89 releases a parts list to copy the upgraded motor... I'll be all over that like a fat kid on a smartie !!!

·
Registered
199 Posts
What no "very damn happy" vote??

I love mine. No gayzor for me thanks. Cheap, flimsy pos, imo.

Can't wait to get my Wildcat though :D

·
Registered
114 Posts
With all do respect Darryl I have allways stood behind everything you have said. But the 09 XTZ is a piece of ****... From the cage to the tires. I think the 10s and 11s are alot better. Less problems on here about them. I dont even use 4x4 and my axles pop out and my front diff blows up at 25mph causing a rollover. The steering is sloppy, they are noisey on and on. The first thing most of us on here do when they bring home there XTZ is try and make it closer to a RZR (lower cages, seats, long travel, shocks) so why not? You dont see AC breaking down on the trails because there arent any out there there in the service department. I think AC will have something with the wildcat now that they tested half of it on us on our dime.

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
With all do respect Darryl I have allways stood behind everything you have said. But the 09 XTZ is a piece of ****... From the cage to the tires. I think the 10s and 11s are alot better. Less problems on here about them. I dont even use 4x4 and my axles pop out and my front diff blows up at 25mph causing a rollover. The steering is sloppy, they are noisey on and on. The first thing most of us on here do when they bring home there XTZ is try and make it closer to a RZR (lower cages, seats, long travel, shocks) so why not? You dont see AC breaking down on the trails because there arent any out there there in the service department. I think AC will have something with the wildcat now that they tested half of it on us on our dime.
Tell us how you really feel!

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Sounds like you need to buy a Polaris... guess you didn't read the part about the XTZ was built as a UTILITY UTV and that my biggest gripe with AC was that they didn't build a sport model sooner...

·
Registered
491 Posts
i agree to a point with Kat ...... the 09 has a grocery list of problems that the later model dont seem to be having . i know and i have had almost every know 09 problem some twice . Now if i had just lived by my own advice and rules ( never by the first year of anything ) :rolleyes: i might have saved myself a years worth of heartache and quite a bit of cash ! but i didnt and signed my life away on the dotted line full knowing and anticipating some problems , but hey thats what warranty is for right?

now thanks to Dealers that truly care about the brand and the customer ( Darryl and D&P) . i have been able to say ya im happy with my machine . YES its given me a serious case of the REDASS in the past year but i still know my machine is a toy and they arent designed to be beat to death .relizing this i am not going to try to change any more it to suit me , but change my driving to suit the machine .

Personally No id never buy another SXS of any make and model . i may take one home if it was a door prize but for the amount of money i have in this one building it into the kind of machine to suit and take my driving , i would have been better off to build a desert car from ground up . but thats just me . so until i can put a real car together im going to have fun and enjoy what i have .

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
I too tell myself never buy a first year machine but I have done it several times. It is kind of like Russian roulette.

Now I buy a 09 xtz motor just keep my fingers crossed.

Also it seems people find these forums looking for answers to problems.
Not lets find a prowler forum because I want to brag how reliable my machine is.
They are out there riding it.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts