Arctic Cat Prowler Forums banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you all use the Artic Cat oil in your bikes? It is so darn expensive. Is there an equally good oil that you use that you buy at an automotive store? The Artic cat Oil does not state what weight it is so we have no idea if there is an equally good alternative that is cheaper than buying their name brand oil. I have a 2006 Prowler.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Also wondered??

I've wondered the same, the 2006 Prowler, for instance, calls for:

"....Arctic Cat 4 cycle engine oil or an equivalent oil which is rated SE, SF, or SG under API service classification. These oils meet all of the lubrication requirements of the Arctic Cat engine. The recommended engine oil viscosity is SAE 5W30."

The Arctic Cat service manual also contains a CAUTION which suggests that racing oils are not recommended.

My Arctic Cat dealer carries only the expensive synthetic oil. The cost of the oil then has a negative effect on the frequency of changes (if you're cheap like me). It's probably better to use an oil which meets the approval quoted above, and perform more regular oil changes, rather than stretch the oil change interval out with less frequent oil changes.

Just my 2 cents (or $50, depending upon which oil we use :))

·
Premium Member
8,040 Posts
oil

amsoil 0/40 syn for wet clutch. i think it cost more than articcat oil.some one else makes the oil for articcat anyways.

·
Registered
812 Posts
Shell Rotella T synthetic is believe is compliant

·
Registered
95 Posts
Be careful on the oil you buy. There are friction modifiers in the Arctic oil specifically designed for a wet clutch. If you use a regular engine oil, you risk causing damage to the centrifugal clutch.

·
Premium Member
8,040 Posts
oil

thats cool,desertcat running around walmart taking pictures. i didnt know walmart carried oil for wet clutch.good info.

·
Premium Member
3,640 Posts
Hmm, maybe some the oil you know is compatible with Prowlers could be listed with the "Prowler Filter Cross Information". Wal-Mart is 10 minutes away, the nearest Cat dealer is almost 30 miles.

·
Founding Member
3,867 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Holy Cow the AC oil is expensive!
I stopped and bought the 2 qt oil change kit yesterday along with 1 extra quart as he said my 2006 Prowler holds 2.6 quarts and it was $58.

I like staying OEM but that may change next time.

·
Premium Member
3,640 Posts
Changed mine last month the 2 quart kit cost $40.12 with tax, 2 quarts filled mine. I checked the nearest Wal-Mart yesterday, no wet clutch oil. Have to check one of the bigger Super Centers next time I go to K.C.

·
Registered
7 Posts
hi i was just wondering what you would consider to be the best oil to use in the 2011 hdx 700 i am having issues with the dealer i bought from and need to service on my own now

·
Premium Member
8,040 Posts
hi i was just wondering what you would consider to be the best oil to use in the 2011 hdx 700 i am having issues with the dealer i bought from and need to service on my own now
A lot of members stay with the A/C oil and filter,I run AMSOIL with a WIX filter,make sure you run the proper weight for your prowler,and make sure it is for wet clutch,it will say on the back of the Quart of oil.

·
Registered
7 Posts
ok thanks de3 i appreciate the info my prowler is in the shop right now i found that there was no coolant so the dealer is going through to make sure everything is fine i am not sure what would cause my prowler to all of a sudden lose all of the coolant and over heat are head gasket issues common with the 2011 hdx or could it just have boiled out for some other reason any ideas ? i am new to arctic cat and utv's so i am not very familiar with them any info is appreciated

1 - 20 of 71 Posts