Arctic Cat Prowler Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone used one or have a link to an experiment. What is to keep someone from making this an intercom with an ipod input? Would the impedence be different from communication VS stereos?

Help!! I am too cheap to pay $600 for the real deal.

Bob

·
Registered
166 Posts
I have a Rugged Radios intercom in my prowler and it is probably my favorite mod that I have done. you can run 70mph rocking out to music then talk to your passanger, music dims out and as soon as you stop talking the music goes back to normal. With the sand show this weekend Rugged will be looking to make some screaming deals. check out their website www.ruggedradios.com and dont pay attention to the prices on the website. Call the number and ask for Matt, tell him you are a member of the forums and he will cut you a really good deal. these are pics of my setup that I paid right around $500 for but I got upgraded carbon fiber headsets and a few other little things from them.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Thanks, it has the male audio input cable that can be used with any music device. I plug it into my iPhone or a satellite radio. I don't have the race radio yet so I don't have car to car communications. I will probably add it later if more people in my camp get them. The 50w radio is about 400 extra but you will get a 50 mile range out of it.

·
Founding Member
3,867 Posts
Thanks, it has the male audio input cable that can be used with any music device. I plug it into my iPhone or a satellite radio. I don't have the race radio yet so I don't have car to car communications. I will probably add it later if more people in my camp get them. The 50w radio is about 400 extra but you will get a 50 mile range out of it.

So the set up you have for $500 is only driver to passenger and gives you an option to listen to music. Is it an additional $400 so $900-$1000 for a full car to car set up

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
166 Posts
Yes if you were to piece it all together like I did it would cost that much but I do have other little things that aren't necessary. If you were to buy everything at the same time you can get a 2 place system with car to car for around 700-800. It may seem like a lot of money for music and to be able to talk to your passanger but when you think about how much money you would spend on a stereo that you can't even hear after you get to 30mph it was justified for me. If you have never gone for a ride in something that has them it's hard to explain how cool the system is.

·
Registered
3,564 Posts
The impedance will not matter because you are using the amplifier to amplifi the signal from you ipod etc.What is important is the amplifier to head phone impedance relationship.
Has anyone used one or have a link to an experiment. What is to keep someone from making this an intercom with an ipod input? Would the impedence be different from communication VS stereos?

Help!! I am too cheap to pay $600 for the real deal.

Bob

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Do you have the over the ear headset of the helmet inserts?

I would think that the over the ear would work nicley, but I usually ride with a helmet and am wondering how the in the helmet inserts work.

On their website they had a 2 person set up for $400 including headsets - either in the helmet or over the ear. It had one input for music and another input for a radio for car to car.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Do you have the over the ear headset of the helmet inserts?

I would think that the over the ear would work nicley, but I usually ride with a helmet and am wondering how the in the helmet inserts work.

On their website they had a 2 person set up for $400 including headsets - either in the helmet or over the ear. It had one input for music and another input for a radio for car to car.
I have the over the head headsets not helmet kits. the kits for 400 on the website are their entry level kits. Those aren't a VOX system which meens that the mics are always open insted of like mine where they are only open when you talk. I have seen Matt sell some of those kits for under 300 on the rhino boards. Also, that kit is portable so it runs off a 9v battery instead of hard wired like mine. Your best bet is to just call them if you are interested and they will explain everything to you and give you a great price that isn't advertised on their website.

Chris I agree with you that they aren't for everyone but I really enjoy riding with them. If anyone would like to go for a ride to test them out I would be happy to show you what they can do. I live in Surprise, AZ and I could take you around the neighborhood if you are in the area or I usually camp at Gordon's well on holiday weekends and we could meet up out there.

I sound like a salesperson for rugged but the reason I went with their setup is beacuse all of the headsets they sell have hi-fi speakers in them that you have to pay extra for with the other companys. Their customer service is by far the best I have ever seen too.

·
Founding Member
3,867 Posts
I have the over the head headsets not helmet kits. the kits for 400 on the website are their entry level kits. Those aren't a VOX system which meens that the mics are always open insted of like mine where they are only open when you talk. I have seen Matt sell some of those kits for under 300 on the rhino boards. Also, that kit is portable so it runs off a 9v battery instead of hard wired like mine. Your best bet is to just call them if you are interested and they will explain everything to you and give you a great price that isn't advertised on their website.

Chris I agree with you that they aren't for everyone but I really enjoy riding with them. If anyone would like to go for a ride to test them out I would be happy to show you what they can do. I live in Surprise, AZ and I could take you around the neighborhood if you are in the area or I usually camp at Gordon's well on holiday weekends and we could meet up out there.

I sound like a salesperson for rugged but the reason I went with their setup is beacuse all of the headsets they sell have hi-fi speakers in them that you have to pay extra for with the other companys. Their customer service is by far the best I have ever seen too.
Come with us on the Crown King trip so we can check them out

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
166 Posts
Come with us on the Crown King trip so we can check them out
I would be there but I have Cardinals season tickets and there is a game that day.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
And back to the original question. Can anyone answer it. I am not spending that kinda money for rugged radios. I know they are great.

·
Registered
3,564 Posts
Any intercom system has to have some type of amplifier to get a signal loud enough for you and I to hear it.And if it is a intercom it has to have a mic. so you can talk back and forth.As far as being able to get a ipod to play through it you would just have to tap into the pre amp part of the amplifier that you are gonna use.As far as the intercom being able to mute out the ipod when you were communucating that would be a little tougher.But could be done. I don't know if you had a certain type of comm. system in mind.But most aircraft ones are usally 24 volt or more I think.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Premium Member
2,390 Posts
If you want to go a little bit cheaper and still have quality check out the Autocom system. I used this on my street bike and I could hear clearly up to 180mph. They auto mute the ipod just like the Rugged Radios set up. I have gone with the Rugged stuff because it is a much cleaner mount into a UTV but if you don't care about that then Autocom stuff will work. You just add a hand held two way radio and you are done. I have an Active plus sitting around with every adapter you would need and a few helmet kits if you are interested send me a pm.

Active-PLUS Solo Rider Kit - Autocom America

1 - 20 of 22 Posts