Arctic Cat Prowler Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
861 Posts
should be working, tried to pm u last week for LT info but it wouldnt go through cuz your box was full...we should get progressively larger boxes!! I have some valuable info in mine i want to hang on to! spose i could get off my lazy arse and print them.. :rolleyes:

·
Founding Member
3,867 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Let me know if you have a question Split. We had a customer say his ball joint came loose while he was driveing. He has stock suspension. Anyone with this problem?

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Hey Mike,

I had a failure at over 50mph on mine while running a sandwash. Luckily, the wheel stayed somewhat in place and it just bent the hell out of my tierods before I could get stopped.

To fix it, I took a drill bit that was just slightly bigger than the OEM hole that the bolt goes through, drilled it and put in place a grade 8 caphead bolt (one size up from what was in OEM) that had threads only on the last portion and put a locknut on the back of it. That seems to hold it tighter and allows the smooth portion of the bolt to be in contact with the notched part of the balljoint stem. OEM setup has the threaded portion of the bolt in contact with the balljoint stem, which makes for a weak hold and allows the bolt threads to strip. Sorry, I don't have the machine near me right now so I can't say what size bolts I used and I've slept since then so my memory isn't so great.

Bi-Polar Race Team runs the same setup I believe. I've also talked with a few dealers that have had the same thing happen when they ran tracks on the ATVs. AC is aware of it happening and it would appear that it only happens in severe use cases such as my running high speed down 18" whoops and such.

·
Registered
861 Posts
I think before i run it again i will have the tie rod end bolt drilled out enough so i can run a safety wire through it. Maybe drilling out the arm as well like darryl would help.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Mike, I just got off the phone with Artic Cat rep. She says they do not have any problems with the ball joints sence 2002, she would not let me tell her that I have had the problem twice and two others I know of have also had bad wrecks because of joint pulling out. She hung up on me. At least one of the others have sold there 2009 Prowler because of front end problems. I know I don't trust mine any more. The funny thing is when you start looking around the internet there seems to be several people that have had this problem however artic cat is not going to admit it.

Jim

·
Registered
132 Posts
Darly
when you get time could you post some pics of your fix?
Since I put the WE shocks on I find myself running across the dessert at 65+ mph, I would hate to lose control.

thanks
Roger

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
Mike, I just got off the phone with Artic Cat rep. She says they do not have any problems with the ball joints sence 2002, she would not let me tell her that I have had the problem twice and two others I know of have also had bad wrecks because of joint pulling out. She hung up on me. At least one of the others have sold there 2009 Prowler because of front end problems. I know I don't trust mine any more. The funny thing is when you start looking around the internet there seems to be several people that have had this problem however artic cat is not going to admit it.

Jim
Jim

They told me they didn't have an axle problem on the XTZ after mine pulled out 4 times they flew out to Phoenix to drive my car for a week. They still don't admit they have an axle problem but they do have some new rear axles for the XTZ 1000.

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
Darly
when you get time could you post some pics of your fix?
Since I put the WE shocks on I find myself running across the dessert at 65+ mph, I would hate to lose control.

thanks
Roger

I can post some pictures of the fix when I get home on the weekend. I spoke to Darryl about this and then did the fix. I will also post a picture of the bolt that I removed and show you how the threads are worn out and barely holding on. The bolt and lock nut fix is the only way to go.

·
Registered
88 Posts
i am having an issue with my balljoints and i have been up to 65 maybe twice and no big bumps just the rally on the rocks is the only tuff stuff mine has been threw

·
Registered
174 Posts
i had the same problem with my xtz, and i used the same sice bolt, but the bolt i used had a shoulder on it, which means that only the part that needs threads, had it. the spot where your ball joint sits on must be smooth, not have threads. Since i have changed it, its awesome.

·
Registered
3,295 Posts
there is a thread with pic's now , maybe search will bring it up again

·
Registered
8 Posts
Yes my brothers prowler the lower ball joint pulled right out of the steering knuckle thank god we were going up a hill when it decided to pull out. The bolt was still in the knuckle.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I saw this happen once. A buddy on his XTX with 26" mud lites. Going through a rough area and had the machine pull hard to the right. Bent tie rod, bent lower a-arm and a couple bruises on the girlfriend. Helluva ride.
He said he was going about 35-40 mph and the ball joint pulled out on the right side. Are others also pulling out on the right side only ?
Be curious to know...
cheers

1 - 20 of 24 Posts