Arctic Cat Prowler Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Bed Liner Rattle, Fixed!!! See Page 3

My XTZ has developed a nasty bedliner rattle and i cant figure out a way to fix it. Its right in the center. Its very loud and annoying and it vibrates bad under light throttle.

Anyone have any ideas or fixed this problem on theirs. I cant be the only one. Weird thing is that it seems to come from the middle of the bed where there is not support underneath.

**** Fixed!!! See page 3 if you have this Bedliner rattle or vibrating sound. ****

·
Registered
583 Posts
Check your cage mounting bolts for the heck of it. My dash and bed were rattling like crazy on the last few rides and I found that all of the mounting bolts were about to fall out of the rollbars. Locktighted them in and it feels like a new machine, no squeaks or rattles. The heavy cage rattling seemed to resonate through the whole car. Might be worth a look.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah the cage needs to be tightend but this is definately in the bed. while driving my wife figured where it was coming from so i put something in the back, my dog, lol and the rattle stopped.

I can re-create the noise by just hitting down on the middle of the bed and it has about 1/8 inch of play up and down.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yep thanks moose. All my rings are present and accounted for... I checked that to thanks man. its like it needs another brace support through the middle and another rubber ring there too.

Also its not that its rattling against the frame like where those orange rubber rings are. Its the actual hard bed liner rattling against the dump bed frame its sitting on.

One thing i haven't checked it the screws holding the bedliner down. Ill have to pull of the tabs and check them. one or more of them may bee loose. Allowing for a rattle. I will check in the morning...

·
Registered
155 Posts
sounds like you may have loose nuts.hope it's a simple fix. only rattle i have is my tailgate, are you sure this isn't your problem also??

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
well tightened the bolts holding the bedliner to the frame. It was nice and quiet for about 20 mins until it heated up then the rattle was back. Its really bad and really loud. Its very annoying. I wont ride it anymore till I fix it. Its THAT LOUD!!!

·
Registered
618 Posts
On my 650 it's the latches that hold it down.

Try putting pressure on your rlease lever and see if it stops.

Not sure how you'd fix it though, mines not terribly bad yet.

·
Registered
199 Posts
It may be kind of crude, But screw a pice of flat stock aluminum to the bottem of the bed between the frame supports (on plastic only), to stiffen the bottem of bed, should help.. Just a thought!

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
On my 650 it's the latches that hold it down.

Try putting pressure on your rlease lever and see if it stops.

Not sure how you'd fix it though, mines not terribly bad yet.

Yeah tried this its not the bed release lever or the latch vibrating.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It may be kind of crude, But screw a pice of flat stock aluminum to the bottem of the bed between the frame supports (on plastic only), to stiffen the bottem of bed, should help.. Just a thought!
Yes something like this is going to have to be my next fix. i will add rubber grommets or something on the bar to put pressure on the middle of the bed where theres no support.

Unfortunately like someone suggested gassing it sometimes just increases the vibration. I should take a video of it, maybe I will. You guys wont believe how loud it is. If i gassed it you would hear the vibration OVER the engine. I am not exaggerating.

After tightening all the bolts under the bed and having the vibration return after about 25 mins of riding, i presume due to heat. I rolled up some asphault aluminum sealant tape into about a 3 inch think roll and shoved it under the bed so when the bed was latched back down the tar tape (not sure of the exact name) was pushing against the floor above the exhaust while also pushing up on the bedliner. But after about 10 more minutes the tape softened enough i guess and the rattle was back.

My wife was with me at this point and neither one of us could take it anymore so we parked her.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Is it maybe the heat shields for the exhaust under the bed. My E-brake pads rattle like crazy.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Is it maybe the heat shields for the exhaust under the bed. My E-brake pads rattle like crazy.
I havent ruled this out completely but it im almost 100% sure is the bedliner itself rattling against the frame its sitting on.

I cant believe noone else has this rattle.... weird

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have the exact same problem!It's not the latch or the tailgate,seems to just be coming from the middle of the bed.Only at slow trail speeds with no load in it.Very loud and annoying.Nothing loose at all.And I also think it's the liner rattling against the frame!
'09'xtz,30 inch gorillas,winch.

·
Registered
583 Posts
I would think if it comes and goes in relation to the engine warming up then its probably exhaust header or shields. Especially being as loud as you described. I doubt the plastic bed would make that much noise.

·
Registered
682 Posts
My heat shield rattled bad, this may be the problem. Just put something on top of shield for insulation. If its the bed , just carry a big cooler of cold beer. You should have that with you always anyway.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I have the exact same problem!It's not the latch or the tailgate,seems to just be coming from the middle of the bed.Only at slow trail speeds with no load in it.Very loud and annoying.Nothing loose at all.And I also think it's the liner rattling against the frame!
'09'xtz,30 inch gorillas,winch.YouTube - Arctic Cat Prowler 1000 XTZ playing in Horse Creek !!

Yes, Im glad someone is feeling my pain... LOL Well sorry you are having this problem too but let me know if you find a permanent solution.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
My heat shield rattled bad, this may be the problem. Just put something on top of shield for insulation. If its the bed , just carry a big cooler of cold beer. You should have that with you always anyway.
I have a slight heat shield rattle too. But that is more of a high pitched metalic rattling sound. The bedliner rattle sounds deeper, kinda like thick heavy plastic banging superfast on metal... Oh wait thats what it is... lol

1 - 20 of 37 Posts