Arctic Cat Prowler Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to this forum, just wanted to ask if there could be any problems by installing the belt with the arrow in the wrong direction on a prowler 650xt. When we changed out the belt, the video stated to put the arrow towards the front which we did, but now we saw an another video stating to put it towards the back. What gives? Sure do not want to go through that again, it took a torch and many pounds of pressure to remove the primary clutch nut.

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
I put the arrow towards the front and I believe this to be the correct direction. At least on the XTZ 1000 it is.

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
New to this forum, just wanted to ask if there could be any problems by installing the belt with the arrow in the wrong direction on a prowler 650xt. When we changed out the belt, the video stated to put the arrow towards the front which we did, but now we saw an another video stating to put it towards the back. What gives? Sure do not want to go through that again, it took a torch and many pounds of pressure to remove the primary clutch nut.
I use a Craftsmen electric impact wrench and the instant torque from the electric motor spins them off in a breeze. I have the 19.2 volt version which I think has a rating of 200 - 250 ft pounds. One of my favorite tools.

·
Registered
421 Posts
the arrow points to the direction of belt travel,if its on a 650/700 prowler the arrow would be pointing backwards cuz the eng is in backwards compared to the atv it came outta.on a 1000 it`l point forward.

·
Registered
421 Posts
the direction of the arrow isnt as important as it is not changing the direction after its been used.thats main the reason for the arrow,so thats its reinstalled the same as when removed.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Now when you put the shifter in high you'll go backwards, better swap it around!
Btw you don't have to remove the primary. Screw the 2 long clutch cover bolts into the threaded holes on the pulleys to seperate, then take the belt off starting at the front. I did mine without any kind of prying tools, just my fingers.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Knowing my luck, that will probably happen. We put on a new belt at change out, do you think arrow direction will matter on a new belt, both siders seem identical.

·
Registered
583 Posts
I doubt it would matter but dont know for sure. If it worries you buy another new one and pack that as a spare. They are pretty easy to change.

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
Dosen't the arrow on the belt change direction when you do? LOL!

·
Founding Member
3,867 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
You are correct, the direction of the arrow must go in the same direction that it was pointed to when you took the belt off due to wear pattern. Thanks for responding.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts