Arctic Cat Prowler Forums banner

belt direction

10K views 13 replies 7 participants last post by  controller1 
#1 ·
New to this forum, just wanted to ask if there could be any problems by installing the belt with the arrow in the wrong direction on a prowler 650xt. When we changed out the belt, the video stated to put the arrow towards the front which we did, but now we saw an another video stating to put it towards the back. What gives? Sure do not want to go through that again, it took a torch and many pounds of pressure to remove the primary clutch nut.

#5 ·
I use a Craftsmen electric impact wrench and the instant torque from the electric motor spins them off in a breeze. I have the 19.2 volt version which I think has a rating of 200 - 250 ft pounds. One of my favorite tools.

#6 ·
New to this forum, just wanted to ask if there could be any problems by installing the belt with the arrow in the wrong direction on a prowler 650xt. When we changed out the belt, the video stated to put the arrow towards the front which we did, but now we saw an another video stating to put it towards the back. What gives? Sure do not want to go through that again, it took a torch and many pounds of pressure to remove the primary clutch nut.
the arrow points to the direction of belt travel,if its on a 650/700 prowler the arrow would be pointing backwards cuz the eng is in backwards compared to the atv it came outta.on a 1000 it`l point forward.

#8 ·
Now when you put the shifter in high you'll go backwards, better swap it around!
Btw you don't have to remove the primary. Screw the 2 long clutch cover bolts into the threaded holes on the pulleys to seperate, then take the belt off starting at the front. I did mine without any kind of prying tools, just my fingers.

#12 ·
Dosen't the arrow on the belt change direction when you do? LOL!

#13 ·
Your service manual will tell you which way to point it. The main reason explained before in a post is then you do maintenance or take off you put it back on in the same direction. When it gets broke in they work best if they are kept going the same way.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.