Arctic Cat Prowler Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my artic cat was slipping when i would pull out and i replaced the belt but still slips when first pulling out foward but wont slip in reverse ? any ideas? its an 08 artic cat 650 prowler

·
Registered
3 Posts
i am having the same problem in high gear, but not when i pull out! Mine seems to lose power in high gear in a pull up a incline where low gear is to much. If you find a fix please let me know. Also i'm having trouble posting threads on here. I might just not know what i'm doing or maybe it's my computer. I can reply to anyone but not post my own threads. I know this is off the subject but any help would be appreciated!!!!

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
it slips in high and low both going foward but not in reverse . no mods , it has 1000 miles on it and it has never had water in it and it has stock tire size

·
Registered
271 Posts
well sounds like you need to open it up and do some investigating. i still dont have enough info to accurately pinpoint the problem. do you have the mechanical ability to take your clutch housing off and inspect the clutches? nd have a caliper to measure the belts width with? it sounds like your belt could be worn out below specs, or your shoes on the secondary under the helix could be worn out not allowing the secondary to completely close all the way allowing the belt to be loose and slip. there are only a few reason a belt would slip and one is that the belt is worn below specs (usually takes about 2,000 miles) and another is the secondary not closing up tensioning the belt properly, also the primary could be sticking open. it is more rare to see but it does happen. the primary has felt bushings in it that allows the outter half of the primary to slide back and forth on the sleeve in the primary, if those bushings get wet they swell up just like wet cardboard and then make the primary sieze up. that would keep the primary from closing up properly allowing the belt to slip, but not likely only do it in forward and not reverse.

let me ask you this: how do you know it is the belt slipping? can you hear it audibly and smell belt smoke? or is the bike just rev'ing up and not going anywhere? the whole "in forward only" thing has me a little puzzled.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well i dont smell the belt or anything . but it is just reving up when u pull out and it takes a few seconds for it to catch properly but if you ride it for a long period of time you can smell a little bit .. it is a new dayco belt but it slipped with the original also is why i changed it . thought it was the belt

·
Registered
271 Posts
hmmm i think i already know the problem. DAYCO. that one word says it all. the dayco belts are narrower than stock and therefore if you had any problems in the clutch housing like a worn sheave, or the bushings freezing up, the thinner belt would magnify the problem. the thinner belt takes longer for the sheaves to close up on it and the secondary may possibly not even be able to close enough to squeeze the belt properly. i'd inspect the sheaves of the primary and if they are grooved at the base, then the belt has cut a groove in the primary, if there is a groove cut at the top of the secondary then the secondary is not able to adequately tension the belt and squeeze tight on it and the belt is slipping in the secondary. i've seen it happen both ways. but again i cant say for certain why its only doing it in forward and not reverse unless it is only doing it in high gear forward.

·
Registered
583 Posts
I got about 150 miles out of a Dayco that I put on my 03 arctic cat a few years ago. Remove that sucker quickly.

·
Registered
6 Posts
We have a 700 xtx the throttle grabs when you start off and dumps when you let off. Talked to the local dealer mechanic in Havasu who said it was standard for Prowlers to do this. Is it? Air Dam seems to have alot of knowledge. Help!!! THANKS

·
Registered
48 Posts
We have a 700 xtx the throttle grabs when you start off and dumps when you let off. Talked to the local dealer mechanic in Havasu who said it was standard for Prowlers to do this. Is it? Air Dam seems to have alot of knowledge. Help!!! THANKS
Not sure what you mean by dump, but I would look into doing the spring update on the throttle. It is a stiffer spring and is not so soft to the touch on take off so you dont get that hop off the start. The part number for the kit is 1436-323.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Updating the cable helps some but not alot. the new cable is shorter. If I remember right the cable was under $40.00.

I am interested in what others have to say if there is a real fix or not.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts