Arctic Cat Prowler Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How long before you should replace your belt, and does anyone carry a spare with them. I ride trails, mud, and back roads mostly. have over 3400 miles. many times i am up to 20 miles from anything and we do not have cell phone coverage in most places i ride. is changing a belt on the trail a doable thing?

·
Founding Member
3,867 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have an 08 650. no I have never taken the cover off, i have only pulled the plug out to drain it but nothing ever comes out. i was told you need a puller to pull the clutch disc out just to change the belt. or is it more like a snow machine were you can just pull the spring tention back to get it on?

·
Registered
618 Posts
No special tools to change the belt.

Pull the cover, take one of the bolts and insert into the threaded hole on the secondary. As you turn it in the secondary will spread and take pressure off the belt. Slide the primary off, slide the belt off, clean everything thoroughly, reassemble.

With that many miles and never having cleaned the clutch you may be surprised how much power you've gradually lost due to dust and grime build up in the roller guides.

You could always clean and install the new belt and if old is still in spec keep it for a spare.

·
Founding Member
3,867 Posts
If your secondary clutch has the threaded holes so you can use your two larger cover bolts then you are in good shape. Spread the secondary apart with the bolts. Then with a ratchet and 1 1/4 socket I think on your secondary clutch nut turn while you peal the belt off. Take off and put on like you did when you were a kid and poped the chain off your bike. Get it started and rotate to finish.

Hope this helps.
You don't have to remove your primary just to change the belt. Just make sure the Primary does not slide to far apart and allow the rollers to fall. Other than that you home free.

Seth

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

1 - 6 of 6 Posts