Arctic Cat Prowler Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few weeks back I began a bevel gear upgrade on my 2006 Prowler. Hit another snag after ordering in a load of parts from the US. :mad:

I've discovered early in reassembly that the front secondary driven shaft is bent. Must have seen some hefty loads after the bevel gear failure. Had it in the lathe trying to figure out how to get it half straight but not much luck. Will have a "real" machinist friend of mine try and straighten it on Monday...otherwise I'm in for another $150!

Has anybody who has done this job faced a similar result. This has been a terrible experience so far, between the cost of parts and the lousy instructions which come with the bevel gear kit. Hopefully things will get better soon!!

Any advice?!?

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Sandchris.....I think it will be worth it.

I hope I don't need any parts!! My machinist friend is pretty handy - he can put an ass in a cat, as the saying goes - so I'm hoping he can save me the extra cash. Was hoping to be up and running by next weekend - so I didn't really want to wait for more parts to arrive. Will keep your offer in mind though.

·
Registered
244 Posts
2008 ARCTIC CAT PROWLER FRONT DRIVE SHAFT 1053996 item#110560267698 paradisedude. This shaft is on ebay buy it now for 50.00 and 12.00 shipping I hope this helps,there it also a rear shaft on there for 30.00 Good luck!!

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks DLA....unfortunately that is not the shaft that I'm referring to.

The shaft I need is AC part #0819-089 (see part 10 in the attached image). That is the secondary driven shaft (front) located in the secondary drive assembly (internal to the engine).

I passed by bent shaft along to my machinist friend just a few minutes ago. The shaft was out 66 thou at the midpoint. Four tonnes later, and real close to being straightened, the shaft snapped in two.

Oh well....you win some, you lose some

Attachments

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks all, job is done!! Riding all weekend and everything seems to be fine. An expensive repair but hopefully the last time I`ll need to strip the engine down. :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts