Arctic Cat Prowler Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2007 Artic CAt UV 650. I have about 70 hours on it mainly used for preparing food plots (disking, dragging, mowing). It is kept in a garage on my hunting land and I have it on a trickle charger all the time. Last week I was riding around looking at the food plots and checking trail cameras. I got in to go back to my garage and the instant I turned the key I heard a loud boom. Like a 45 pistol going off. Turns out the battery blew up. The front of the battery is broken open. I took it to an Artic CAt dealer/servicer and he will be working on it this week. He is going to try and figure out why this happened but had no suggested reasons. One friend thought the alternator should be controling the charge and possibly something went wrong with it and it got over charged??

Has anyone had the same problem or do you have a guess as to why this may have happened?

Thanks,

Mel

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yes it was right under my fanny. fortunately it broke out of the battery towards the front of the UV so my legs were the closest, but there is a metal plate there which protected me. No harm. It caused my buddy sitting next to me to jump and run.

·
Founding Member
3,867 Posts

·
Registered
491 Posts
i agree with what the guys said . a standard battery charger left on these little batteries for a extended period of time will boil the water/acid out of them and sulfate the cells . and with the combination of vibration and the stator trying to charge and faulty battery , it will swell and in cases explode.

a dry or sulfated battery confuses the voltage regulator in to thinking that the battery is low and thus putting a full amp charge into a battery that has no room to store it . kind like 10 lbs in a 5 lb bag ,

best charger for extended periods of time is a automatic style , low amp. 5 amp or less . it willl sense and maintain battery voltage ., Battery Tender is a very good unit .

·
Founding Member
3,867 Posts

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
I have had good luck with the battery tender. I believe Desertcat has a posted some battery info for replacements. We have used a AGM battery with good success.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for all your input. I miss spoke above when I said trickle charger. It is actually a battery tender. I checked with Battery Plus where I bought it and it does shut off automatically. BUT the manager said that when a battery gets three plus years old and losses power the tender has trouble telling when it is fully charged and may continue to charge. I now have talked to an Artic Cat dealer and he also agrees. I guess in the future I need to test the battery once I get over two years and won't use the tender during the summer. Again thanks for all you help.

·
Registered
491 Posts
you need that battery in the AC museum ! 3 yrs , thats gotta be a record ,lol
im lucky to get 1 year out of any battery , well i guess i have an odessy thats almost 18 months now . they grow up so fast .

1 - 12 of 12 Posts