Arctic Cat Prowler Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I went out for a ride on the weekend, made it about 2 miles, i let go of the gas, and hit the throttle, and now my engine is very sluggish, will barely start or stay started, and wont get anywhere near 4-5k RPMs. When this happened, there was no overheating, of anything, and my oil level was good. What do you guys think?

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i have the xtz 1000, and i already read that post, but, my ride sees all gears fine, and the only relative thing between the two is that my unit is sometimes hard to get into reverse. The other guys machine sounds like it acted fine, and sounded fie, but could only do 4800 RPM, whereas my ride sounds like crap, and will only do between 4-5K RPM, and will fart and moan when i start it, then usually i have to give it gas to keep 'er going.

·
Registered
142 Posts
try new plugs then look at your head gaskets mine ran like ass with a fouled plug... feel the exhaust to see if both cylinders are firing.. be careful they get hot quick... Mine kept fouling the plugs when I had head gasket issues now its fine..

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I replaced both plugs that day because they had fouled the other two plugs, and i am not going through anti-freeze at all, so i dont know?

·
Registered
294 Posts
Have you checked your precleaner on the air intake. It seems that a lot of people chech the air filter, but forget to check the precleaner that the 1000 comes with.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
probably about 2 trips ago, i cleaned all my air filters, did maintenence on everything i've needed, and it treats me like this. If you take care of a machine, you WILL have problems, and if you treat it like a red-headed step-child, they are usually flawless. Thats how its going for me.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Did you check to see if you are getting good spark to both cylinders. Also, you could have a leaky head gasket and not notice a change in the radiator fluid for a while. Go to a auto parts store and get a tester that will test your coolant to see if any exhaust has been getting in there.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I had the similar sluggish and starting issue; however, I'd puke coolant when I had my foot into it... Fouled a plug around 300 miles and recently pulled the plug on the 2nd cylinder and it was drenched… It's in the shop getting the head gaskets replaced (working with Arctic Cat under warrenty). They found the gasket on the 2nd cylinder had a leak... Like you, I've taken care of the cat (fluid changes) and this is what you/I and most other people get... LAME!

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So heres a quick update, the dealership said they have never seen an engine like that in twenty years of being in the business. The whole engine is disintegrated, they can't even tell what went wrong with it. They sent pictures to arctic cat and they are pulling for a whole new engine. Shitty, but hope for a new engine!

·
Premium Member
1,603 Posts
MIne did the same thing when the head gasket went this latest time. I watch my temp gauge and it never got that hot this last time.

My whole top end is gone also, I didnt get coolant leaks until I put a load on it on the dyno.

good luck and Iam glad yours is still under warranty.

·
Premium Member
1,603 Posts
Yes Prestige is totally helping me out with a rebuild and parts for the top end.

I did have a radiator cap issue a while back, and i overhated then, guess that is when I caused the damage. so its cool of Mike to do for me.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
hers another update. So as we all know, these xtz engines aren't that great, but arctic cat was warrantying them for the bearing breaking and taking out the whole motor. Mine got fixed once, now it went again. So after being in the shop for a week and a half already, still no answer from ac, and my dealer said that they still haven't gotten paid from ac from the first engine job. Now my dealer is in a fight with ac about getting paid, while still trying to keep a "good relationship" with the, so that they can get me a new engine for my busted ass machine. Isn't that pathetic? If anyone on this forum can help me get in touch with a Canadian AC rep, that would be very helpful, as I am ready to take this to the next level. Love the machine, hate the engine, and ac service.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
so now my dealer said when they fixed my engine, not all the shards from the bevel gear exploding, may not have gotten out, and thats what caused the engine to go again. AC will be sending an adjuster to look at my machine, and they said it doesn't look good because my machine is modified?? what the hell!! They only thing different from stock is I have 27" grim reapers compared to the stock 26" tires!! Thats it!! Man oh man, I am sooo tired of companies not backing up a product once they sell it, they say they have 2 year warranty, but only at their discretion. THIS SUCKS!!!

·
Registered
491 Posts
[AC will be sending an adjuster to look at my machine, and they said it doesn't look good because my machine is modified?? what the hell!! They only thing different from stock is I have 27" grim reapers compared to the stock 26" tires!! Thats it!! Man oh man, I am sooo tired of companies not backing up a product once they sell it, they say they have 2 year warranty, but only at their discretion. THIS SUCKS!!![/quote]

i wouldnt worry about the issuse with tire size . there is nothing in a warranty that states a customer can not change a "wear item " such as tires , oil , belts just name a few things that pretain to our machines . this is a BS tactic that is used by all manufacturers . ive delt with it for years with caterpiller, freightliner, and john deere . arctic cat is no different . warranties will state that arctic cat brand parts are to be used to repair machines under warranty to maintain warranty . which is the repairing dealers responsibility to use the correct parts . but when it come to things like belts and tires , things that are considered consumable parts, there is nothing a manufacturer can do to void a warranty if a failure occurs not directly related to the non- AC parts installed . it would work the same if you had a new ford truck and had the tires changed at a pepboys ( id never! but thats me ) and the motor crapped out . and ford tried to say its cause you had 10 ply tires installed ! BS

me and 3 friend had the same kinda thing happen to us in 02-04 at a local Harley dealer . they said that our cam tensioners failed because we wernt running HD oil in our motors ! BS again . prove it ! because we reamined cool and they couldnt prove that any of us wernt running HD oil they had no leg to stand on . to be honset i wasnt running HD i always ran valvoline vr1 , one friend ran amsoil and other 2 ran HD syn3 .

ok ill wrap this rant up . i just always get a kick out of people getting worked up over warranty issues . my advise to you is to remain calm . do your best to contact your local rep .wait for the adjuster to makehis inspection before you contact the rep . Reps are generally busy guys that spend most of their days listening to the complaints of dealers and disgruntled customers . if it was me id hate life and most people in it too !lol . hope this puts your mind at ease a little .

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
It kind of does ease my mind, but still, should a customer have to go through this everytime? I didn't build the engine, not my fault all the gears are breaking, so why should I have to "be patient".

·
Registered
491 Posts
It kind of does ease my mind, but still, should a customer have to go through this everytime? I didn't build the engine, not my fault all the gears are breaking, so why should I have to "be patient".

i completely agree with you ! but now the problem must be settled with the dealer and AC . the first motor went down and AC warrantied it . now the problem is the warranted repairs have failed , this falls on the repairing dealer . the adjuster/ failure anilist will inspect the engine and the failed parts to detrimine the cause of failure and fault. the worst thing the dealer couldve done is admit to AC that maybe the engnie wasnt cleaned correctly and completely before reassembly. now they are waiting to get paid for the first engine that has already failed due to their mistakes ! from experience my advise is to be patient and remain calm . allow the AC guy to make his inspection and see what he says . i know the waiting game is the worst but you are not at fault . meanwhile do what you can too find a contact # for your area rep . if you dont get the ok on the warranty i would then contact him directly . be sure to have a copy of the original repair order for the first motor and be well documented on what repairs , and whos done what.

second thing is , since you have have 2 major metal failures in this little motor in so many miles i would push for a complete engine replacement . this dealer has already demostrated a lack of ability to make this repair correctly and if in fact metal from the first failure caused the second failure whos to say it wont happen if they piece together it for a 3rd time. thats just my opinion . but again wait till you have the ok from AC for repairs to make your case . nobody gets more upset than REP having a customer call screaming I WANT A NEW MOTOR ! before anybody has looked at it .

1 - 20 of 35 Posts