Arctic Cat Prowler Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yep I put in the new cam & rockers and was warned about the oil pump gear but I convinced myself the because it was spraying good while idling that it was ok. WRONG! I decided to send it to the shop and have them check the gear when the top end started making noise again. I drove this thing for 200 miles after the new cam & rockers, who knows how long before without oil pumping.

They guy there had only seen one before and now he's seen number 2. Should have did it myself but wasn't sure I had the right tools or know how.
IMAG0269.jpg
So I bit the bullet and had them put in a new engine. I kept my old one so I can tear it down and learn more about them and I do have a question.

What parts should I save? So far here's my list.
Stater
Intake boot (I just replace it also)
Belt (may make a good backup)
Stator

·
Premium Member
8,040 Posts
Yep I put in the new cam & rockers and was warned about the oil pump gear but I convinced myself the because it was spraying good while idling that it was ok. WRONG! I decided to send it to the shop and have them check the gear when the top end started making noise again. I drove this thing for 200 miles after the new cam & rockers, who knows how long before without oil pumping.

They guy there had only seen one before and now he's seen number 2. Should have did it myself but wasn't sure I had the right tools or know how.
View attachment 3515
So I bit the bullet and had them put in a new engine. I kept my old one so I can tear it down and learn more about them and I do have a question.

What parts should I save? So far here's my list.
Stater
Intake boot (I just replace it also)
Belt (may make a good backup)
Stator
wonder if it ruined your cam and rockers.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Ouch....:eek: I'll definitely be doing my oil pump driven gear at the same time I install my Papa Slap clutches..... Just curious, did you try the motor with the new gear before forking out for a new one? Wondering if you may have been lucky and it was okay.

·
Premium Member
3,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm going to tear all down later and see how they look but for now I going to enjoy the new motor and install the oil gauge I got too late.

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
Wow man sorry to hear that hope things get better.

·
Premium Member
3,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ouch....:eek: I'll definitely be doing my oil pump driven gear at the same time I install my Papa Slap clutches..... Just curious, did you try the motor with the new gear before forking out for a new one? Wondering if you may have been lucky and it was okay.
I may have gotten by for a while but eventually I would need to update the bevel gears also and I've never worked on anything like this before. I don't know how long I drove it last summer with the bad gear before I changed the cam but I know I put 200 miles on it after I replaced it.

·
Premium Member
3,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wow man sorry to hear that hope things get better.
It's already better, after hearing the new engine run I'm not sure if it was ever running right from the time I bought it. I bought it used and the 3rd owner and now I know I have all the updated parts, should be trouble free for a long time.
I'm getting a $2,100 tax return, it's being put to good use and my wife pushed me to get the new motor.:cool:

·
Premium Member
8,040 Posts
It's already better, after hearing the new engine run I'm not sure if it was ever running right from the time I bought it. I bought it used and the 3rd owner and now I know I have all the updated parts, should be trouble free for a long time.
I'm getting a $2,100 tax return, it's being put to good use and my wife pushed me to get the new motor.:cool:
have you got to ride it yet,I know joe said his run a lot better.If your the third owner its hard to tell what kind of care it has had.

·
Premium Member
3,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
When I got home I had to install the duct work and floor, I just took a short trip down the road. One of my neighbors was outside so the ride got cut short and the B.S. began. My wife wanted to go for a ride but it got dark and cold so we never made it back out.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Has this problem translated in to the 700 efi motors? just wondering if its something I should be worried about..

·
Premium Member
3,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Has this problem translated in to the 700 efi motors? just wondering if its something I should be worried about..
From what I've read its mainly the '07 650 but I could be wrong....have been many times before but don't tell my kids:rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
3,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Pull the top off the old motor, the new cam & rockers I put in are toast. One cam lobe has ridges on both edges and looks like the journals are damaged also.

I do have a question it seems like the new engine is running at a consistent higher rpm than the old one but it could be my imagination. On a flat surface at 25 mph what's the average rpm? I'm going to check again but I think I'm between 4000 & 4500.

·
Premium Member
8,040 Posts
Pull the top off the old motor, the new cam & rockers I put in are toast. One cam lobe has ridges on both edges and looks like the journals are damaged also.

I do have a question it seems like the new engine is running at a consistent higher rpm than the old one but it could be my imagination. On a flat surface at 25 mph what's the average rpm? I'm going to check again but I think I'm between 4000 & 4500.
mike is that in high or low gear,I assume thats high.:)

·
Premium Member
3,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
High gear, I put it in low once just to see the difference. I don't want to punch it too hard yet.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts