Arctic Cat Prowler Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was up river 2 miles from home and was going up steep hill and when front tires lifted almost flipping over backwards let off gas and i rolled down the hill little fast and when coming to a stop at bottom of hill motor started screetching and noticed the truck trying to move and noise got louder till it died. i tried to start and the truck started to move with starter . I had to bang the shifter to get it to neutral and then truck started and when i put it in gear noise came back and it died again. I put it into neutral again and started once more and put in drive and gave it 1/2 trotlle and it took off and drove fine to home and when i pulled up and stoped while still in drive the noise came back and got louder and died again. what do you think.?

·
Registered
294 Posts
I posted some more ideas on the other thread. It could be a series of things, but I think the starting point is around the wet clutch/one way clutch.

·
Registered
271 Posts
well the CVT clutch setup has many querks about it. i read thru the other posts you made, and have tried to understand what exactly happened and what might be your problem.

--when you rolled down the hill backwards, you were still in drive, and you pressed the gas?? when you got down the hill to stop you instead of the brake? is that when it made the pop noise and/or screetch?
--when you put the bike inneutral it will crank and run fine, but you have to jam it in gear to get into each gear and it dies correct?

it sounds to me as if you had the bike in gear, and when it rolled backwards depending on the amount of speed you gained while rolling backwards could have caused two or three different scenarios i'll try to explain thiem

1) if you gained alot of momentum, enough for the clutch weights to start to spread the primary back open, with the bikerolling in reverse free-wheeling, it would have pread the secondary open and whenyou gave it gas to try and stop it, instantly threw the primary shut and snapped the secondary shut as well, most likely stretching the belt out, if not breaking the 3 plastic clutch shoes on the secondary

2) you could have overspun the one-way bearing. since you had the bike in forward, by letting the bike roll down hill backwards, and then hitting the gas, you forced the one-way bearing to instantly engage. the one-way bearing is the bearing on the crank that allows the engine to brake when rolling down hills in forward. with it free-wheeling inreverse, then instantly being applied when you touched the throttle could have broken the one-way bearing

3) well i dont really have a #3

with the bike wanting to lunge in drive, but run fine when in neutral usually means the belt is riding on the lower collar of the primary. when the belt rides on the lower collar in between the primary sheaves it puts pressure on the output shaft of the engine and trans and locks everything up. it makes it where you have to yank the sifter to get the bike in neutral. and the only way a belt rides down in the primary is if its worn below specs, or stretched out from some weird manuver like you did. so my bet is on the belt.

if you have the mechanical ability to take your clutch cover off, and inspect the drive clutches. if you can take a video and upload it an let me see it, and rev the bike up in eutral and let me see the belts full travel, i can probably diagnose the problem better

·
Registered
294 Posts
Listen to Airdam, he is the pro with clutches, I know the basics, but he is the master. I was really thinking the same thing as his number 2, but he makes some good points in #1. That's whats great about this forum, lots of knowledgeable people.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks i will do that. 1 question on senerio 2 being belt. yes it was in gear when i came to stop. I did have to hit shifter prety hardd to knok into neutral. i did give little gas at bottom of hill very little. And yes when its in neutral it cranks and when i jam in gear it screatches and dies unles i floor the gas pedal and it will take off an run fine at high speads and only make noise and die when i stop and try to idle. . I will this weekend on my day off inspect and get back to you with video . Thankyou for your reply.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
wil try and get back to you gong to pick up my rig from the bass pro shop dealer. And check it out myself they crazy 100 per hour 10 hour minimum to just check.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
fixed

it was all 3 parts bad. The wet clucth, one way bearing , and outer bell that one way bearing rubs on. replaced all and all great. thanks to everyone s help

1 - 10 of 10 Posts