Arctic Cat Prowler Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to get a spare before out next ride, so what part is prone to breaking easy, just the tierod end?

·
Registered
3,295 Posts
from what I've read on the XTZ's [no experience yet] it bends behind the jam nut on the threads .. they have longer nuts available to "help" but looks like after market beefy ones is the way to go to fix it right , and a couple posters have bent them mid point ... I have not read of the ends failing so far.
there is a thread about a potential issue with the ball joint clamp bolt suggest you read that one also.

·
Registered
338 Posts
The threaded area by the tie rod ends is where they bend. I fixed my mine at the dunes when they bent by welding a sleeved section of tubing over the threaded section and they worked fine and never bent again.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The threaded area by the tie rod ends is where they bend. I fixed my mine at the dunes when they bent by welding a sleeved section of tubing over the threaded section and they worked fine and never bent again.
Ok so the threaded end is all that I need to carry as a spare. Same one left and right, right? part#0405-205

·
Registered
95 Posts
Thats what bent/broke on mine. I suggest sleeving them, I did it and it was really cheap. I had the longer jam nuts already so I beveled the unthreaded end used a 1/2 extra heavy nipple and a coupler, Then I cut the threads off of one end of the nipple installed the coupler on the other end welded it up, then slid it on the tie rod screwed the long jam nut up into the coupler and tacked it in a couple palces, then took it off and finished welding it up. THen i took a step drill and opened up the boot to fit over the larger pipe. I got the nipples at a oil/gas mining supply store, not a hardware store. they are really thick and have a .5 inch ID which is just right to fit over the tie rods. Its not as nice looking as the aluminum after market setups but only costs a few bucks. Don't forget to take some alignnment measurements before you start taking stuff apart. It will save a little time.

·
Registered
3,295 Posts
are the threads SAE or Metric ? [I haven't looked at that issue and mine is at the dealers right now]

·
Registered
95 Posts
I'm think they are SAE. I can't remember for sure the size, I would check for you but most of my threads are covered up. If I can get enough threads I'll post another reply.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Mine was bent so I just got it straight and we welded it al up with the clam shell sleave style and called it good. The sand is forgiving if your off a bit anyhow. Field repair oh well. they dont require much regular adjustment anyhow.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Thanks for the pics, so a longer jambnut will take care of this? I ordered the wrong part for a spare I see!

well sorta , lol the jam nut does ''help'' prevent the rod from bending at the threads but its not the best fix. i didnt buy the nuts because it seems to be a chicken sh*t fix . now if you dont ride like a mainiac like most of us do then the nuts will probaly be just fine for you . i know if you order a new rod assmbly from AC it comes with the new longer nuts . i would order 1 assembly and one extra nut . install the nuts and keep the rod on hand because you are gonna need it some day ! lol

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
well sorta , lol the jam nut does ''help'' prevent the rod from bending at the threads but its not the best fix. i didnt buy the nuts because it seems to be a chicken sh*t fix . now if you dont ride like a mainiac like most of us do then the nuts will probaly be just fine for you . i know if you order a new rod assmbly from AC it comes with the new longer nuts . i would order 1 assembly and one extra nut . install the nuts and keep the rod on hand because you are gonna need it some day ! lol
The longer jamnuts are only a partial fix. I replaced mine with the longer ones. Now my tie rods are bent in the middle of the rod. The real fix would be to switch the hubs side to side, rebuild the steering rack mount and mount the steering rack/tie-rods in front of the hubs. That way, when you hit something and it tries to spread your wheels apart, it's pulling on the tie-rods rather than pushing on them.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Darryl are you doing this when you rebuild your Cat? It makes sence.

·
Registered
682 Posts
The upgraded rack makes a big difference, especially if you go with a power steering. I really like mine. Even in the worst rough stuff its one hand easy.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Darryl are you doing this when you rebuild your Cat? It makes sence.
Yes, I am going to move my steering rack to in front of the axle. I'm installing a long travel suspension that sweeps forward to lengthen the wheelbase and then rebuilding the entire front frame assembly ahead of the A-Arm chassis mounts. Then I"ll install a Rackzilla Unit unless PSC comes out with a steering unit for these. I'll have to design the mounts to eliminate the bump steer.
If you look at most any off-road racing vehicle, their steering unit and tie-rods are mounted ahead of the axle for the reasons I mentioned above.

Not that anyone else here might need it setup that way, but I'm planning on running my machine in some of the BITD and SCORE races over the next couple of years. So I'm going to bulletproof everything I can. The frame, chassis mods and long travel suspension is almost done being designed and we'll start bending tube in the next 30 days. It won't be ready for any running until late May due to work and that ultimate dictator, funds....

1 - 20 of 23 Posts