Arctic Cat Prowler Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi - newish to ATVs, brand new to SxS and new to Arctic Cat - 2010 Prowler XTX, have had it for a few days now, including one day of muddy trails which was great fun (the seatbelt rubber covers aside... :) Looking forward to learning more about suggested and recommended mods, tips and tricks for these units. After reading the piece in the manual about 'keep water below floorboards' I'm thinking a snorkel may be handy, and as we will be plowing snow it may also be handy to stiffen the front end, but as mentioned earlier I'm still trying to figure out what is needed vice what is a purely shiny addition.
Cheers

·
Premium Member
8,040 Posts
welcome aboard Yyc,you will learn everything you need to know on here.enjoy the site,lot of great people............

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
Welcome aboard. Your name YYC or CYYC is the identifier for the Calgary/Alberta Intl. Airport. Spent a lot of time in and out of there. You work in the airline industry?

·
Registered
733 Posts
I have the same wheeler and I Highly recommend a snorkel, the floor board rule definitely applies if you are in water or mud. The cvt vent is just way to low to be playing in the mud and these things are very easy to snorkel at home, cost me about 50 bucks for suplies and a few hours of tinkering to make it look good. another mod I consider is the rear diff vent mod, it requires drilling a hole and putting a fitting and catch can on but a must if you plan on doing any dirt road cruising at speeds, for some reason the diffs built pressure and tend to blow out seals without a bit of relief. I cruise a lot of groomed trials and I had a problem with this. as well, check the rubber intake boot (thats the one between the throttle body and intake manifold) if you don't have the updated boot it will almost certainly crack, it's happened to almost every xtx owner I have talked with. you can tell the updated boot by it having one big metal clamp, the old one has two pipe clamps I believe the old part # ends with 669 and the new one is 668. Mine just cracked this past weekend so for the sake of a 20 dollar part it would be worth it just to install the updated part.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi Flying121 - YYC is my home airport (I travel a fair bit for work). In hindsight I should have used CYBW as an identifier :)

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
Wecome to the forum,plenty of great people here.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Excellent advice - thanks! Our mud-venture was great fun, so the snorkel is a good idea. Other than the occasional trip in the mud it will get a fair bit of use around the neighborhood, so should check the other suggestions as well.
I need to explore the unit and the forum and find the instructions - another fun evening hobby!

Cheers,

I have the same wheeler and I Highly recommend a snorkel, the floor board rule definitely applies if you are in water or mud. The cvt vent is just way to low to be playing in the mud and these things are very easy to snorkel at home, cost me about 50 bucks for suplies and a few hours of tinkering to make it look good. another mod I consider is the rear diff vent mod, it requires drilling a hole and putting a fitting and catch can on but a must if you plan on doing any dirt road cruising at speeds, for some reason the diffs built pressure and tend to blow out seals without a bit of relief. I cruise a lot of groomed trials and I had a problem with this. as well, check the rubber intake boot (thats the one between the throttle body and intake manifold) if you don't have the updated boot it will almost certainly crack, it's happened to almost every xtx owner I have talked with. you can tell the updated boot by it having one big metal clamp, the old one has two pipe clamps I believe the old part # ends with 669 and the new one is 668. Mine just cracked this past weekend so for the sake of a 20 dollar part it would be worth it just to install the updated part.

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
Hi Flying121 - YYC is my home airport (I travel a fair bit for work). In hindsight I should have used CYBW as an identifier :)
You fly out of Springbank? They have some short runways. I have been in and out of at least 50 different airports in Canada but I have never been to that one. I was just up in Masset and Port Hardy a few weeks ago. Beautiful flying up there. i have some friends that live in Kamloops. They come to AZ every winter to dirt bike.

·
Registered
733 Posts
You fly out of Springbank? They have some short runways. I have been in and out of at least 50 different airports in Canada but I have never been to that one. I was just up in Masset and Port Hardy a few weeks ago. Beautiful flying up there. i have some friends that live in Kamloops. They come to AZ every winter to dirt bike.
Cool! I used to travel to the Charlottes quite a bit for work. Did you get to check any of the sights out while you were there? or get to queen charlotte city? amazing country up there!

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
Cool! I used to travel to the Charlottes quite a bit for work. Did you get to check any of the sights out while you were there? or get to queen charlotte city? amazing country up there!
That's the bad part about my job. I go to some of the most beautiful places in the world and I am there for as little as 10 hours and then back out the next morning. I did get a day in Masset and was hanging out talking to some of the local fisherman. We had fish and chips at this bait and tackle shop and I have to say it was by far the best I have ever had. The food! That's the best part of my job as there is always time to try the local food.

As for the Queen Charlotte Islands....I have been to Prince Rupert once. I fly over the Queen Charlotte sound almost every week though. Here is an iphone pic from a few weeks ago. I know the picture is not the best.

Attachments

·
Registered
733 Posts
That's the bad part about my job. I go to some of the most beautiful places in the world and I am there for as little as 10 hours and then back out the next morning. I did get a day in Masset and was hanging out talking to some of the local fisherman. We had fish and chips at this bait and tackle shop and I have to say it was by far the best I have ever had. The food! That's the best part of my job as there is always time to try the local food.

As for the Queen Charlotte Islands....I have been to Prince Rupert once. I fly over the Queen Charlotte sound almost every week though. Here is an iphone pic from a few weeks ago. I know the picture is not the best.
Nice pic! thanks! makes me miss the west coast! I used to love travelling to the Queen Charlottes (except for the rain) and yeah... X2 on the appology for high jacking your thread Yyc..:eek:

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
No apologies needed, and the pic was nice! The west coast is a beautiful place to fly (I'm not a pilot - more of a frequent flyer).

Looking forward to chatting with you all more as I learn more about the Prowler, and what I should be doing to it :)

·
Registered
412 Posts
Welcome Yyc.. I'm gonna second that on the snorkel! If I had to pick 1 mod to do it would be that! Even if you don't ride that deep that often. I think it's one of the best, cheapest, and precautionary mods you can do! If you have $50, pvc glue, and a hack-saw your golden!

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks Daryle - I'm really starting to gett he feeling it's a weak spot on the unit. I was trolling through the forum and I can see how the end product looks. I need to get into the engine compartment and see what it looks like IRL (in real life), make a shopping list, and get to Home Depot asap.

I did see a number of comments on using 1.5" v 2" pipes for snork purposes. Is that really a huge concern? Can you provide too much air to an engine?

·
Registered
412 Posts
Yyc.. Some of these other guys like AlmostxProwler can answer that better... I have a carb machine and on those YES it definetely can make a difference. Mainly because sometimes you can get away with not having to Jet the carb and sometimes you can't. All depends on the size pipe,current carb jet, type of airfilter, and distance from end of pipe to carb all come into play. I don't think you have near that much concern on your EFI machine. I would think you could give it to to much or not enough air, but I think you would be using 1/2" pipe or 4" pipe which you would never do. I don't like the EFI machines because I get WAY to much enjoyment spending hours of my life trying to fine-tune a carb! lol

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yyc.. Some of these other guys like AlmostxProwler can answer that better... I have a carb machine and on those YES it definetely can make a difference. Mainly because sometimes you can get away with not having to Jet the carb and sometimes you can't. All depends on the size pipe,current carb jet, type of airfilter, and distance from end of pipe to carb all come into play. I don't think you have near that much concern on your EFI machine. I would think you could give it to to much or not enough air, but I think you would be using 1/2" pipe or 4" pipe which you would never do. I don't like the EFI machines because I get WAY to much enjoyment spending hours of my life trying to fine-tune a carb! lol
Glad to hear you are enjoying the carb tuning. If you get bored I have a Holley 650 you can tweak (maybe I should hook up the electric choke first so it stops leaving big black splotches on the driveway :)

Thanks again for all the pointers! Snorkel, check intake fitting, and diff vents. I'm starting to think a lift kit might be in my future, but not too soon. Maybe a roof first. I also noticed that many people have re-enforcement on the windshield. In my Mil days we used to put things like that on jeeps and helos to catch and cut wire from fencing or power lines. I think that might be a good thing to add as well. Nothing worse than meeting a stray wire at any speed! We in a backwoods area on the weekend and there is a lot of existing cattlewire to be caught if you happen to go off-trail...

So I zagged a wee bit and got a snorkel kit from SnorkelYourATV. It seemed like a quick way to get this started (the next couple of weeks will be busy, so trying to shortcut a few things...)

·
Registered
412 Posts
Cool.. I have a budy that bought his kit from them and loves it. Last weekend I ordered a set of the filter tips from them! Those things are the only way to go if you ride in a real dusty area! BUT, they say that those don't change the airflow..not sure if it's a random deal but my friend had to re-jet once he added them because they restricted the airflow. Just some FYI...

1 - 20 of 26 Posts