Arctic Cat Prowler Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi from the keweenaw in the u.p. of michigan. I purchased an 08 650 from a friend 2 years ago and know i'm having problems keeping gear oil in the rear end. the gear oils 1 inch lower than spec, and i've extended the breather with the recall from cat. i'm at my wits end. need some fresh idea's any help will be appreciated. thanks

·
Registered
682 Posts
My 06 650 XT did the same thing. AC put numerous seals in, even put entire new rear diff. The only thing i found to cure is the fix from Bipolar, to extend tube as far as you can go and put filter.I used a suggestion from someone on here and took a 1 1/2 piece of pvc 4 inches long , threaded a fittin in bottom and threaded a inline fuel filter in top.Cap off both ends with fittings, in top..Fuel filter is one way so water cant get in, but will breath. Gives a lot of oil capacity when hot.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had a 08 650 XT with that same problem. The way I fixed it is I extended it with fuel hose all the way up to the rollbar. On the the end I put a T fitting and put two accordion ends from Arctic Cat.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I think the problem is ocurring from the rear diff getting so hot. From what I have read thus far, the heat generated from the exhaust manifold and muffler is "heating" up the rear diff along with the normal heat generted by the diff itself. This increased temp is causing oil to "vent" out of the vent line. I was reading that someone suggested wrapping your exhaust manifold and muffler with header wrap along with using Mobil 1 75W diff oil.

I am experiencing the same problem now.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thank's to everyone that gave me there insight, the problem with the rear diff has been fixed. again thank you.

·
Registered
31 Posts
thank's to everyone that gave me there insight, the problem with the rear diff has been fixed. again thank you.

So what did you end up doing to fix it? I am assuming you drilled it.

For those of you that have drilled it, how does this hold up to heavy mudding? It wouldn't be wise of me to do the gutted fuel filter with a filtered vent b/c we go in deep water sometimes.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Just wanted to give an update for those that dont want to drill their diffs: I extended my vent line all the way up the left rear "roll bar" and put the OEM accordian tube on the end. I also drained the diff, flushed it with some diff oil, and refilled with the Mobil 1 lube that was mentioned earlier (expensive @ $18/bottle!) and have not had another problem with the rear diff. I am gonna wrap my header pipe with exhaust wrap. Its probably not needed, but I already purchased it off of ebay so I will go ahead and install it.

We have put over 100 miles on it with this setup with no problems. We have been in the swamp, and just out cruising dirt roads in this HOT South GA heat!

·
Registered
31 Posts
also want to mention something that I found yesterday: I was installing a new rear brake rotor. The muffler got in my way a few times so I decided to remove it. It was also a perfect time to wrap my head pipe. The weld was broke on the engine side of my muffler, allowing a LOT of hot exhaust to exit into the "bay" and adding a little extra heat.

Combine that heat with the heat thats normally generated plus the ambient temperature and that makes for some "increased temps" around the diff area. I encourage everyone to check out there muffler. I imagine repairing this will assist in lowering the sound of the exhaust.

I already welded it up, just got to get my axle boots on so that I can put my axle back in. This whole ordeal started out as replacing one boot. Now I am replacing both, new diff seal, new rear rotor, adjusting rear brake, and wrapping head pipe.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts