Arctic Cat Prowler Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a 2007 Prowler 650 and have been having problems with the carburetor. I recently went on a ride at high altitudes 9-10k feet and the bike started to bog down but once I got back home (7500 ft) it seemed to work fine (sort of). Now it sputters and seems not to have power. I removed the air filter to clean it and noticed that the idle was better without the air filter. I went for a short ride without the air filter and the bike rode well and had good power. I know I can’t continue to do that. Bought a new air filter and still bogs down but without the filter it runs fine. Do I need a carb rebuild or do I have an air intake issue?

·
Administrator
7,260 Posts
Welcome to the site! Did you oil the filter when you replaced it? Altitude would effect your machine making it run rich, a an over oiled air filter will cause the same effect. How does the spark plug look after a run?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes the air filter was oiled so I replaced it with a new one without any oil on the air filter. I also checked the spark plug and it did have some carbon on it but not too much. I cleaned it and it appeared to be in good shape. I put the plug back in and new air filter. Ran the bike around and it ran a bit better but still bogs down. Took the air filter cover off and the bike ran fine. The other thing I have noticed is the idle is all over the place. Sometimes it runs fast and sometimes is idle slow.

·
Administrator
7,260 Posts
I'm a EFI guy, so my carb experience is limited. Download a service manual at Country Cat for your machine. Sounds like you have a mixture issue.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Did you check your jets? I believe factory jetting is at sea level. You're way up in altitude. I had to re jet mine for 4500'.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have not checked my jets but I just found a discussion on high altitude jetting on the Forum and after reading the discussions, I believe that it probably is the jetting. I looked at my service manual and it indicates that the 2007 Prowler 650 comes with a factory Main Jet of #130. In the discussion, a person indicated that he had a 130 and was going on a ride that would take him up to 9000-12000 ft. That is about where I currently an now. I purchased the bike used in a different state which is at 4000 ft. I am currently at 7500 ft and when I go riding it usually starts at 9000 ft.
Anyway, back to the discussion on the high altitude jetting. One person said. that he also had a 130 factory jet and it was recommended to him to use a #125 jet. He indicated that it worked very well and didn't have any problems. So I just ordered a #125 Jet from Country Cat and we'll see if that makes the difference. I should get it in a week or so and I"ll get back with you and let you know if it worked.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Can't remember, D3 helped me. He was the Carb guru. But I bought a kit with multiple jets. It took a while to dial it in (the low and High speed jets) also used a small washer on the needle. Mine runs great at High Altitudes. Alot of Elk Trips. Just buy the keihin carburetor jet kit. And use the guide to start. Also your air mixture screw will take a special "C" type Screwdriver. Hope this helps, Tom.

·
Registered
229 Posts
while your at it, replace all fuel lines. They get hair line cracks and can suck air, with no visible leakage.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Also, the reason I had to start from Scratch is because I have a Snorkel Kit. That really opened up my Air Flow. It also keeps my filter alot cleaner.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Can't remember, D3 helped me. He was the Carb guru. But I bought a kit with multiple jets. It took a while to dial it in (the low and High speed jets) also used a small washer on the needle. Mine runs great at High Altitudes. Alot of Elk Trips. Just buy the keihin carburetor jet kit. And use the guide to start. Also your air mixture screw will take a special "C" type Screwdriver. Hope this helps, Tom.
Will the keihin jets fit on the CVK carburetor? Also, on the air/fuel screw, what did you set that to? The factory setting is 1 1/3 turn out. Did you go less than that?

·
Registered
229 Posts
Thats a good starting point. at idle, I turned it until it ran the best. Go back and forth until you find the sweet spot.

·
Registered
229 Posts
I believe the CVK means its a Constant Velocity Carb. Should be a keihin

1 - 13 of 13 Posts