Arctic Cat Prowler Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,
Im looking for intake mods for my XTZ 1000. Who makes a good intake and filter mount.
Any ideas will be greatly appreciated.
RS

·
Registered
277 Posts
Ron Woods Racing (Rotax.net) makes one. I also believe Darkside Fabrications out of Arizona had one under development. Only two I know of.

·
Registered
491 Posts
i built my own . i used a 3''id k&n with an outerwear . drilled and tapped a piece of 3''od sch40 pvc and build a nice bracket to hold everything tight . the only down side was the noise ! wow it definatly opened up the breathing and you could sure hear the air rushing in . i cured that by covering the bottom of the engine cover with DYNAMAT that sound dampening sheets they use for big car stereos . that stuff isnt cheap but its well worth it ! i found it at my local AUTOZONE .

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
i built my own . i used a 3''id k&n with an outerwear . drilled and tapped a piece of 3''od sch40 pvc and build a nice bracket to hold everything tight . the only down side was the noise ! wow it definatly opened up the breathing and you could sure hear the air rushing in . i cured that by covering the bottom of the engine cover with DYNAMAT that sound dampening sheets they use for big car stereos . that stuff isnt cheap but its well worth it ! i found it at my local AUTOZONE .
Do you know how well the Dynamat holds up to the dirt, mud and water?

·
Registered
463 Posts
You can see from my pics that you could easy make your own. But it does make some noise. you can hear it even when its ideling. less when you stand on it because the exhaust is loud.

·
Registered
491 Posts

as for durablity , that Dynamat is some serieous stuff its only about 1/8'' thick but its rubber witha aluminum sheet outer skin and the adhesive is really sticky . i cleaned the plastic really good and precut the mat before i installed it . once its down there is NO removing it ! i dont ride in mud, it doesnt rain here .... but it has put up with the heat and dust very well and shows no signs of lifting off anywhere . ill post some pics of it later today when i get home

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I do know many who use the Dynamat under their car hoods for noise reduction so it has to withstand that heat and abuse pretty good.

·
Premium Member
1,603 Posts
I couldnt find better pics right now sorry guys, it is louder but I have the dual exhaust, so my intake noise is not the problem.

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
I have had Dynamat on my Prowler for 4 months with no problems.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Joe what is Dynamat? sorry to sound out of the loop.
It's a soundproofing and heat insulation that is used primarily in automotive restorations. We put it under the floor carpet in muscle cars to insulate from the exhaust heat and help soundproof the passenger compartment. Works great, biggest drawback, dang expensive...for 72 sq.ft. which is typical of a muscle car restoration, it's $600.00. Some people go to Lowe's or Home Depot and buy a cheaper version that is used for insulating ductwork in houses.

Check out this link on Dynamat
Introduction

·
Registered
491 Posts
It's a soundproofing and heat insulation that is used primarily in automotive restorations. We put it under the floor carpet in muscle cars to insulate from the exhaust heat and help soundproof the passenger compartment. Works great, biggest drawback, dang expensive...for 72 sq.ft. which is typical of a muscle car restoration, it's $600.00. Some people go to Lowe's or Home Depot and buy a cheaper version that is used for insulating ductwork in houses.

Check out this link on Dynamat
Introduction

darryl is right i think i paid almost $50 for 4 12''x12'' sheets! but for what i got it was well worth it !

·
Premium Member
1,603 Posts
Cool thats what i thought, It works great!! i run it in the sand. The self addhesive stuff. It really quiets down the engine noise and cuts the temp problems of my exhaust way down.

Duck tape wont hold up in the sand but that sticky stuff heat sheild stuff works awsome in the sand!!!

·
Registered
241 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
for what it worth, I was going to run a Unique Metal Products air cleaner but they have not built one for the Arctic Cats yet. They ask me if they could use mine but with the changes I have made it would be to hard for them to make sure it fits the stock machines. I gave them Prestige Motorsports info so I do not know if they have contacted Mike or not. So, if one of you fine Cat owners with a stock machine (interior wise) and would like to get a free very nice air cleaner then get in contact with UMP. They are in Oceanside, California (760)421-0300.... If it works out tell them Troy sent ya... See ya in the dirt!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Socal,
You might want to give them a call anyway or check with Mike to see if he was planning on working with them but the person I talked to said that they would probably not start the project until after the first of the year.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts