Arctic Cat Prowler Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was out riding the cat and got into a really good mud pit. I was trying to climb up the bank and got her in a bind. The rear axle started making a clicking noise...almost like when trying to put it in gear and its hung up between the two. Is this bad??? What is it??? What caused it???

After being put on the hook and yanked out, it didnt make the noise again until I was trying to climb a rock bank. It started clicking again after getting in a bind.

Also, when locking in the 4wd all 4 wheels turn when the unit is off the ground but when its in a mud hole and burried its almost like it has limited slip or something is broke because one of the wheels will turn an the other one wont. This will alternate from time to time when this happens. Any advise or thoughts on this issue???
--
BILL

·
Registered
656 Posts
Sounds to me like the axle is popping out or not all the way locked into place. Just a thought. Hang in there, these guys no their stuff and will be chiming in soon.

·
Registered
166 Posts
usually when you hear clicking it's the CV starting to go.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Good question. Which model is this ? Is it a clicking or ratcheting noise ? Cuz the 700XTX has a limited slip rear diff. (turf tamer) If this is the model that you own, there is no problem at all, just normal rear diff noise.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Good question. Which model is this ? Is it a clicking or ratcheting noise ? Cuz the 700XTX has a limited slip rear diff. (turf tamer) If this is the model that you own, there is no problem at all, just normal rear diff noise.
Thanks for the replies. This is the 2009 prowler xtz 1000 model. The noise is more of a fast pace ratching noise. It only does this when it is in a bind.

·
Registered
95 Posts
This is from the PTL (peak torque limiter) in the rear gearcase. It'll slip / ratchet if under heavy strain or load. If I remember right, it slips at approx 585 ft/lbs. Once it starts to ratchet, it'll probably happen more often too. Check at the dealer for the updated gearcase that Glamis mentioned

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have talked to 2 dealers about this warranty up grade. They are dumb founded and said they never heard of such!!! Anyone who has had this done already, please give me a dealers name phone number etc. It is much appreciated!!!
--
BILL

·
Registered
36 Posts
I know the consumer rep in my area for arctic cat. He is involved with are atv club. Great guy to know. One day we were talking and he said out of the blue do you here a clicking. I said not yet he said there is an update for the axles snd should have them rplaced under waranty. so phone the consumer line and find out.

·
Registered
95 Posts
OK. Did some research. There's no A/C updated version of the rear diff. If anything, I've seen on a couple of sites that people are welding the PTL solid. This will basically create the same type of posi rear end as there is on the 550/650 models.
I have only seen pics so my description may not be good, but I'll try.
The PTL must be removed and kept together and PERFECTLY lined up. If not, it will not go back together. Cut a notch in the PTL approx 1/4" wide and 1/4" deep. Then a small bead of weld to keep everything together. The weld must not be too high as it may not fit back into the housing. The down-side to doing this is that it might either destroy the axles, gearcase or trans. Depends on how badly you're in a bind. For the talented type of person, this would be an easy, cheap fix to a ratcheting rear diff

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I made it to Kentucky. The ratcheting noises did get worse the more I rode.
Im going to call A/C tomorrow, to see about this update, warranty, axle replacement, or what ever they are trying to call it. It sounds like te noise is coming from the rear diff. I will say this however, after installing the new tires, 2" spacers, "cat nuts", tie rods, ball joints, and fan override, we had an awesome time.

Worse case sinerio, where can I get the rear chunk in a better setup???
--
BILL

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
No videos of the mud but damn if it wasn't fun!!!! As for as the tires and spacers, I can remove the spacers but the wheels won't go back on due to the bigger tie rods. They are rubbing and will not clear. Any more suggestions???
--
BILL

1 - 20 of 22 Posts