Arctic Cat Prowler Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there. Been a while since I've been on. My 2014 700 HDX has a clunking/Knocking noise coming from the frontend while idling or running. It seems to be coming from the front driveshaft. I did notice that if I put it in 4x4 the noise almost goes away. Thoughts?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hey there. Been a while since I've been on. My 2014 700 HDX has a clunking/Knocking noise coming from the frontend while idling or running. It seems to be coming from the front driveshaft. I did notice that if I put it in 4x4 the noise almost goes away. Thoughts?
At idle and not moving?
Could be the front diff lock cycling. That's where I would start looking .

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It seems to do it both while sitting still in Park and driving. Once I lock it in 4wd while riding it seems to go away. However, sitting still it just knocks. The noise seems to be coming from the front driveshaft. Anyone have any experience with noise coming from there. It does not seem to be loose though.

·
Administrator
7,260 Posts
Any fluid leaks? Noise persists without moving? Can you move the drive shaft in and out of the flanges? There are small rubber buttons on each end of the driveshaft that wear over time, this may account for the noise. My question on the leak of fluid pertains to a axle popped out of the differential (unlikely because it does it sitting still).

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Axles are in. The front driveshaft does have play in it. If it had u-joints I would say they were bad with the amount of play they have.

·
Administrator
7,260 Posts
Shaft it splined both ends, fit is fairly tight but movement is very easy. They have about 1/8-1/4" inch back and forth travel as normal, anymore and the rubber bumpers are shot.

·
Administrator
7,260 Posts
You are absolutely correct! They are shown on the PROWLER XTX as Drive shaft bumpers! Sorry Bout That!

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That would make sense though. I can grab the front shaft and move it left to right which makes the clunking noise. Not really sure how to fix it unless the splined shaft is actually bad. Hopefully not with only 500 miles on it. It almost completely goes away when in 4wd.

·
Administrator
7,260 Posts
More than likely once loaded against the splines, no more rocking. I wouldn't think there would be much wear in only 500 miles.

·
Administrator
7,260 Posts
You might swap the drive shaft end for end, then heavy grease before inserting. Also try the rubber bumpers will help also. I found them on the 2014 Prowler XTX

1 - 12 of 12 Posts