Arctic Cat Prowler Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
had problem with my 08 prowler 650 today. seems like clutch is stuck. if you start it in gear it starts moving when the starter engages. if it starts up & moves, then when you stop it kills the engine. if you start it in neutral, it grinds when you try to put it in gear. makes noise if you rev it up in neutral. if you put it in gear with engine off, you can't roll the machine in either direction. any help? thanks

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
pulled belt cover off today. everything looks fine. if i engage the starter, the belt & pulleys turn with the engine, and the prowler tries to move if its gear.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
I'm new to Prowlers, but I didn't even know you could start them in gear. My 2006 won't start unless it is in neutral. Do you have to hold the brake down or something while in gear? Sorry, didn't mean to get off topic....

·
Registered
618 Posts
Sounds like your idle is set to high

Should be around 1300 when warmed up

·
Registered
27 Posts
You will need to remove both cvt clutches then the inner cover....drain oil first. Once you have the inner cover off you will see a 1 way bearing on your internal wet clutch. remove the left hand threaded nut and remove the one way bearing all together if you dont care for engine breaking...or replace it ith new... the green dot must face out.

·
Founding Member
3,867 Posts
They start in N or in gear with the brake pedal applied. If your primary shaft is turning when you start the motor then your wet clutch is locked up. It locks for only two reasons. Under normal operation it will lock up when the RPM is off idle and then engauge the Primary or Drive clutch. Second if it's locked all the time then you have issues with your one way bearing or wet clutch. Like Super Duty said you will need to remove both primary and secondary clutches, and inner case to gain access to the wet clutch. Do you have a service manual for your machine. If you don't I can email you one.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
You will need to remove both cvt clutches then the inner cover....drain oil first. Once you have the inner cover off you will see a 1 way bearing on your internal wet clutch. remove the left hand threaded nut and remove the one way bearing all together if you dont care for engine breaking...or replace it ith new... the green dot must face out.
I don't think you have to remove the wet clutch nut to remove the one way bearing, at least if my memory serves me well. I believe that bearing slides over that assembly. Don't have my pictures in front of me, but I think that is correct.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
back to work on prowler

Thanks for the responses. prowler got put away, finally gettin time to work on it. downloaded manual. are aftermarket parts good or should I go thru arctic cat? got manual from K&T parts house. is there a stonger battery available that fits in the factory box?

·
Registered
412 Posts
JLM.. For me it depends on what the part is. I only use Arctic Cat brand when it comes to things like the CVT belt, oil,.. basically the major stuff. For the battery here's the one I have and some others do to. It's a great battery and fits in the factory location.. Sealed Lead Acid Batteries: Odyssey PC680 - 12V 16Ah Power Sports Motorcycle ATV Battery: BatteryClerk.com They're a little pricey but IMO the best battery for an ATV you can get. And mine will start in gear with the brake on. Like someone said earlier if your idle is to high when you start the machine it WILL move and if your start it in nuetral it will be very hard, if not impossible, to get it to go into gear. I would definetely try adjusting the idle down before I started pulling the clutch. Very simple to do and you will know in 5 min if that's the problem or not.

·
Registered
250 Posts
a high idle wouldnt make noises upon startup though, also a high idle wouldnt wouldnt cause the prowler to die when put into gear. il throw down ten bucks if its not the one way...;)

·
Premium Member
8,040 Posts
one way bearing

DJ,did you take out your one way bearing,and the only thing you would lose is the engine brake.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I'm with blownsoot. If you get it moving and just stop it with the brake a high idle wouldnt make the motor die. But is easy to do. Sounds like something more serous to me.

·
Registered
250 Posts
yeah i pulled mine out when i put the stiffer epi springs in the wet clutch, just pull the inner clutch housing off, and you will see the bearing, has a green or blue dot on the outside if i remember correctly. i took mine out and the only difference i noticed was from maybe 3-4mph down the clutch just freewheels so theres no engine braking from 4mph-0mph, no big deal for me, plus i wont have the headache from worrying about it seizing later down the road.

·
Registered
412 Posts
I agree DJ... guess I didn't read his post closely enough. A high idle would only cause about half of his problems, but not the other ones...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
might leave one-way out

I found the problem- its the one way clutch. The 'rollers' had flat spots on them and the inner & outer races were rough. Don't see why it would go bad so fast - only 200 hours / 600 miles on machine. So if I leave it out I will still have engine braking above about 5mph?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts