Arctic Cat Prowler Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
De3,

So I got my new clutch in, so of course me being cheap I decided to put it in myself. So I started taking everything apart. My first problem I ran into was getting the primary clutch off, I used all the right tools and could not get it off I I started putting a brace on one of the little fins looking things and using a breaker bar, well I chipped a piece off of it, but it finally came off. So when I did get it off it looked like it had rusted the nut on it, frankly think that the guys that built it didn't put the right stuff on the nut and that is why it looked as if it was rusted on. So, then I proceed to take the wet clutch off, I again tried to use the impact gun and again it would not budge, so again I tried to brace it with something on one of the ears or whatever I could to keep it from turning, I swear I could not believe how height that nut was on, so long story short I put so much torque on it trying to get it loose I ended up cracking the crankcase at the part where there bolt is at the motor mount, it cracked it all the way to the other half of the case. Yes I knew that it was a left handed thread. So if anyone has any suggestion please give them to me. Personally I think that the manufacture did something wrong there, I really don't think that it should have been that tight. Thanks for listening to me rant and vent.

·
Founding Member
3,867 Posts
Hey Parry,
The nuts normally have red lock tite on them. The factory torque spec's is some where around 180lbs I think. Could some one correct me if I am wrong. I have had great luck removeing the secondary and primary with good shop air supply and an impact gun rated at 400 lbs in reverse. Some one may of over torqued them and caused you this head ach. Sorry to hear about your case. What model Prowler do you have? Joes5091 has a motor from his 700

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Premium Member
8,040 Posts
I hate to hear that parry,sounds like way over tighten to me,again I hate to here that:(

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey Parry,
The nuts normally have red lock tite on them. The factory torque spec's is some where around 180lbs I think. Could some one correct me if I am wrong. I have had great luck removeing the secondary and primary with good shop air supply and an impact gun rated at 400 lbs in reverse. Some one may of over torqued them and caused you this head ach. Sorry to hear about your case. What model Prowler do you have? Joes5091 has a motor from his 700
i have the 550. i have insurance on the prowler, just dont know if they will cover that or not, i hope so.

·
Registered
733 Posts
I had a great deal of difficulty getting the secondary off my 700. The problem I had was not that it was over torqued it was that there was WAY too much red locktite on it.. with an impact the best way to get the max torque out of it for removing stuff like that is to not use an extension, takes away alot of twisting power from your gun. I'm really sorry to hear about your misfortune with the case.. is there a really good tig welder in your area? it might be something that a really skilled welder could patch up.

·
Premium Member
8,040 Posts
I had a great deal of difficulty getting the secondary off my 700. The problem I had was not that it was over torqued it was that there was WAY too much red locktite on it.. with an impact the best way to get the max torque out of it for removing stuff like that is to not use an extension, takes away alot of twisting power from your gun. I'm really sorry to hear about your misfortune with the case.. is there a really good tig welder in your area? it might be something that a really skilled welder could patch up.
That is an Idea,parry what model prowler is it.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yea it is way to cracked up for a repair. it cracked the crap out of it

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
That really sucks....:( I've had good luck with my impact as long as I crank up the pressure. It would have helped to take a torch to the red loctite as well. That helps break the bond...

·
Founding Member
3,867 Posts
1 - 12 of 12 Posts