Arctic Cat Prowler Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, it was bound to happen. The other night I realized I hadn't started the cat in a while so I reached over and gave the key a twist, it fired sputtered and quit. I've been unable to get it start since. Starter turns motor has no unusual sounds while it turns but it wont fire.
Do these things flood out real easy on cold starts? Any and all ideas are welcome. I had to leave town for work and haven't had a chance to look at what might be the problem and it's making me a little nuts!

Thanks folks!

·
Registered
282 Posts
a EFI shouldn't have any trouble starting. If anything it will have a higher idle when its cold. Can you hear the fuel pump come on when you turn the key on, not over but on?

Im not sure but have read it somewhere on starting with efi. Something like turn over for 4-5 seconds..wait 20 seconds..turn over 10 seconds..wait 30 second..do it again. Something like that. I thinks its in the manual

·
Registered
177 Posts
when my xtx did that it needed a new starter.I find the prowler to be very poor starting in cold weather,my hdx is poor as well

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
a EFI shouldn't have any trouble starting. If anything it will have a higher idle when its cold. Can you hear the fuel pump come on when you turn the key on, not over but on?

Im not sure but have read it somewhere on starting with efi. Something like turn over for 4-5 seconds..wait 20 seconds..turn over 10 seconds..wait 30 second..do it again. Something like that. I thinks its in the manual
Yep, the pump runs and it cranks but wont fire. So, I guess that bings me to fouled plug or no spark.
just really wierd that it sat for a couple weeks, fired, died and wont re-start.........

·
Registered
177 Posts
exactly what mine would do.couldn't believe that it was anything other than spark or flooding,Dealership said it was starter and they were right.It would turn over forever but wouldn't fire

·
Administrator
7,229 Posts
I guess the starter would rob the voltage from the ECM, and coil. Reserve battery power on these are not that great! Check voltage drop at starter to confirm.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Put a new spark plug in it. Mine did the same thing last summer. Dealer said to replace the spark plug and it will start. I said I dont believe that. But I did it and it fired right up and has been starting awesome ever since.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks tons folks! I removed and cleaned the pulg, it smelled like fuel so I blew out the cylinder, put the plug back in and it took a second but it fired.

·
Registered
518 Posts
So the question now is, why did your plug foul?

·
Premium Member
8,040 Posts
I know that the prowlers with a carb are very hard to start if they set a few days,some guys plugged the air vent hose on the side of the carb and it seem to help,a few of us has put fuel filters with check valves on them to keep the fuel from returning to the tank that didn't help much either,the carb rhino's are the same way.I changed my carb and went to a mikuni pumper carb with a manual choke now it can set for weeks and fire right up.........I was only getting 1 year out of a battery because i had to crank it so much to get it started,the battery in it now is 3 years old...........

·
Registered
518 Posts
I think his is fuel injected. The reason I pose the question, is that my plug fouled as well. It was that way when I bought it. Didn't want to idle all that well, so I replaced the plug, and she ran pretty good. I have no idea the driving habits of the prior owner, but you need to get the machines up to operating temperature for the plugs to burn off any carbon. If you spend a lot of time idling, or really short rides, then I believe you are more prone to foul a plug. At least that is my understanding.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yep, mines injected. I believe it fouled because,
1) it sat in the cold for a couple weeks and I should have turned the key, gave it a second to sorta prime, then I should have stayed on the starter a second longer and tried to throttle it a little. I was reaching over the sled and turning the key rather than sitting with my foot on the gas.
2) once it died, I turned the key all the way off and back to start. Each time "priming" it a little more until it require the cylinder and plug being cleaned be for it would start again.

·
Administrator
7,229 Posts
Scot, with the climate you live in, you could go to a higher heat range plug. I keep mine in a heated garage so I never have had to deal with a cold start. Pampered life! LOL

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
RD, I looked into that. My garage rarely gets below 35deg. It's heated but only when I work out there.
I decided to stay with the stock plug and just carry an extra one.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts