Arctic Cat Prowler Forums banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, it was -30C last night and it was about -20C all day. I went out at around 3pm to fire up the 700xtx and it's a no-go. I have spark and fuel. I went to the local AC dealer and they said its probably just too cold. they had problems getting some of thier sleds to start this morning. I have to say i'm a little dissappointed about this problem. On of the reasons i bought this buggy was because of the EFI. I figured there would be no issues anymore but their obviously is. humph :(

·
Founding Member
3,867 Posts
Well, it was -30C last night and it was about -20C all day. I went out at around 3pm to fire up the 700xtx and it's a no-go. I have spark and fuel. I went to the local AC dealer and they said its probably just too cold. they had problems getting some of thier sleds to start this morning. I have to say i'm a little dissappointed about this problem. On of the reasons i bought this buggy was because of the EFI. I figured there would be no issues anymore but their obviously is. humph :(

How did you determine you had fuel?

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
plug was SOAKED, then turned it over with plug out and fuel was misting out. also tried a small mist of fuel down intake and still nothing. is the air temp sensor the little probe lookin one in the airbox right before the intake tube????

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
how would a fella warm it up??? with my hands? or maybe a heat gun on low??? like i said, it would turn over and over without even trying to fire. ya think it was givin too much fuel??? i havent had a chance to work on this buggy yet so the whole efi thing is new to me. NOW if you wanna talk Polaris, i worked on mine more than i rode it. But someone stole it so it's their problem now!!! lol

·
Founding Member
3,867 Posts
I have the 650 carbed unit. I have not had a chance to dig my teeth into the efi's yet. I am a auto/diesel tech so I understand the internal workings of the efi on cars and diesels. The UTV world is using very bar and basic efi componets. I would remove the temp sensor and take it inside you house and allow it warm up. Unless it is flooded fuel and spark she should fire up. When you have a componet fault the ECM will cut fuel or spark on an automobile.

I am sure we will get some more guys giving there input soon. We will get to the bottom of this

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i will mess with it in the morning. It wasnt throwing any errors on the display so i guess thats a good sign!

·
Registered
155 Posts
was -20c here also today, my xtx fired up, turned over slow but she started....should consider what i am considering....save some headaches and install a inline heater so you can plug it in and keep your fluids warm, less damage done to engine when starting in "junk" freezing temps. lol

·
Founding Member
3,867 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
When it's below -20 degrees celcius here, I give it a little throttle as I turn it over, works most of the time, efi system needs more air in the cold tempartures as the fuel does not atomize well in cold temps. This little trick was tought to me by the dealer last winter when I picked up my machine when it was -35 degrees celcuis. Also, keeping the battery at full charge will help, I use a solar panel to keep the battery charged when it sits, workes very well!

Goon

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I tried giving it throttle and everything yesterday but no luck. It's only -6C this morning so im gonna get ready and giver another try. I drained my battery yesterday mucking around with it and had to charge it (they dont really leave any room for the aligator clips for chargers) is there anything i can do to help prevent this from happening again before i get a chance to grab an in-line heater??????

·
Registered
131 Posts
I tried giving it throttle and everything yesterday but no luck. It's only -6C this morning so im gonna get ready and giver another try. I drained my battery yesterday mucking around with it and had to charge it (they dont really leave any room for the aligator clips for chargers) is there anything i can do to help prevent this from happening again before i get a chance to grab an in-line heater??????
My buddy Goonski, gave you good advise, the key phrase is "just give it a BIT of throttle". You want to give it just enough throttle to produce a "fast idle" effect and then she'll start. Goonski is the resident expert on cold starts that I know of around here. Or you can keep it in a heated garage like I do !! LOL

·
Registered
90 Posts
Just like Hammerbike said, just a bit of throttle, too much won't work. Also, the battery must be at peak condition or it won't go, I believe it has to do with voltage, if the voltage is to low, she just won't fire, like I mentioned in the earlier post, I have a solar panel that plugs into the cigarette lighter and it is more than enough to keep the battery at peak performance. In cold weather, you lose about half your cold cranking amps to the cold, so it is also a good idea to replace the battery, with a good quality, as high a cold cranking amp battery as you can find in your area. When the battery dies in mine, I think I will go to a gel battery, they seem to do well in the cold weather.

·
Registered
3,295 Posts
if you have a heat gun, remove the filter and aim the heat gun in the intake track ... let it run there a couple min. and then try to start it with the heat still going in it while cranking [may need a helper] .. the warm/hot air will give enough warmth to fire the fuel. no need to shove the heater part of the gun in the opening .. ya don't want any chance of fire [if you have raw fuel in there] .. just in front of the opening blowing to the opening... also works well on Diesel cars N trucks in the real cold times.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I live in Ontario, Canada. about 2 hours north of Toronto. I just realized that i have one of those mini solar panels just sitting in my shed (not a heated garage!) maybe i will hook that up soon! I do have a heat gun and I will try that if it happens again. I went outside this morning (-6c) and it fired right up. I guess I was just freaking out cause I thought it may be broken and I couldnt get it out of the driveway onto my trailer to take it to the dealer. thanks again for the help everyone.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts