Arctic Cat Prowler Forums banner

Coolant Recovery Tank

13K views 21 replies 4 participants last post by  fireball091 
#1 ·
Still wonder why AC did not include a coolant recovery tank on all of their models? I found one on ebay ( Arctic Cat 650 V2 4x4 Engine Radiator Overflow Tank #19 2005 | eBay ) that I used on my 700XTX. I keep finding a wet spot under my Prowler after parking it overnight. Replaced the cap, lowered the coolant level but no change. I use the recovery tank with great success! Park it now after a hard ride, and the tank is 3/4 full, check after it has cooled off and the tank is nearly empty! Any coolant recover tank that fits would work, I just used the AC one because of the mounting bracket!

#3 ·
Mounts on the frame downtube next to the radiator. I found one with a bracket and bolted it on.

Attachments

#12 ·
I was looking for one with the bracket, but couldn't find one. I zip tied it to the frame and used 1/2" foam insulator between the two to act as a cushion and keep it tight. I have the bracket on my watch list.
The new cap makes sense, Mike. I'll get one. Thanks for the research!

#4 · (Edited)
Last time we were riding I was with another driver and Denise was driving the Prowler, I watched it puke several times. Checked it out and it wasn't over heating. Good idea! I'll look for one.

#5 ·
PSN had several, but any recovery tank would work as long as it feeds from the bottom. I found that mine would continue to push coolant until it found a happy level in the radiator! I like the added insurance on the trail that I always have coolant to pour back in if necessary! Worse case is fill it with vodka!

#6 ·
Vodka... The ultimate anti freeze! I found one on Ebay for $20.00, needless to say, the Buy it now button worked flawlessly! AGAIN........

#7 · (Edited)
Went for about a 50 mile ride yesterday and noticed that coolant puked out at some time again. The low coolant level light came on in the dash, but she never overheated and the cooling fan ran normally. I had a loose clamp on the lower coolant fitting, on the heaters "T" and think it might have been leaking under pressure. I hope that's the culprit, anyway. I gave that clamp 4 turns, filled the system and ran it. Bled out all the air and it seems fine. Holding pressure and fan is still kicking on after the T stat opens. Let it run for 2 hours at fast idle and it never leaked or overheated. My coolant tank will be here Thursday. Can't wait to get it on and contain the coolant. Great idea, RD!!!

#8 · (Edited)
Just trying to spend more of your money! LOL Loose hose clamps will do it every time! I made it about 15 miles before I blew the lower hose off my radiator! Forgot to tighten the clamp after putting new hoses on mine! Pat was impressed! LOL On another note, AC started to install them on the 2015 and up 700 models!

Reactions: Stump426
#9 ·
On and works great! This was a very needed item! They should all have this. Thanks RD!!!

#15 ·
Mine 2005 Arctic cat 500 is doing it also

Well I have Completely rebuilt mine

Shift dogs and shift forks went bad needed all new Gears Inside the cases

Ive had this bike for a long time over 4 years love this thing witch is why i Had someone help me fix it up

This thing was a mess after while

cracked frame the 4x4 Mounts on the front Broke needed a Rebuild

If i had taken it to the dealer they would have said get a new frame and trash it lol

welded all the problems got a new 4x4 front shaft witch fell off

The guy who helped me had the cam 180 out we had to fix that

didnt adjust the valves corectly I just fixed that today came back Alive

But the antifreeze comes out the Over Flow Tube I plugged the tube Hoping this would fix it nope just comes out the Cap

So I am going to get a Overflow Bottle like you Have done

Need to pressure test it also it never did this before i rebuilt it I did re ring the Bike

been a Long road since the 4x4 didnt work

It does now and its Alive again Just need to figure out this coolant problem..

was going to upload pics but mine are too large

#10 ·
Have you checked the radiator cap pressure rating? Last year I was having the same issue it kept puking a little coolant so I thought my cap might be getting weak. After doing some checking it seems Arctic Cat changed the part number, the original cap was 13 lbs and the new ones are 16 lbs. I ended up buying this one on ebay High Pressure Radiator Cap 1.6 Arctic Cat 500 550 650 700 1000 prowler wildcat | eBay but might go back to the lower psi, I don't want to over pressure the system.

Here's link to what looks like the updated cap.

Arctic Cat Radiator Cap ATV Prowler Wildcat See Listing for Fitment 0413-255 | eBay

#11 ·
Now you have me hitting the buy it now button! LOL

#13 ·
Its so easy!!!

#14 ·
Now that you mention it! LOL

#16 ·
Fireball091, you are like the rest of us! Too stubborn to switch! LOL These things are actually pretty easy to work on! For pressure testing the coolant system I use a motorcycle coolant system test kit. Simple hand pump, radiator cap adapter, and tubing and fittings for around 40 dollars on Amazon/Ebay. I pressure test the system to find any leaks, and also purge the air out. For internal (head gasket) leaks the gage will show an increase in pressure while running.

#19 ·
Overflow on radiator is on the fill neck, and it goes to the bottom of the coolant recovery tank. On the test kit, you use a radiator adapter cap with a air line fitting connected to the hand ump with a gage. I pump mine up to 10 psi and let it sit. No drop in pressure means no leaks! When testing for a head gasket leak, a slow rise in pressure is normal as the coolant warms up. Rapid pressure movement on the gage shows a blown head gasket.

#22 ·
Overflow on radiator is on the fill neck, and it goes to the bottom of the coolant recovery tank. On the test kit, you use a radiator adapter cap with a air line fitting connected to the hand pump with a gage. I pump mine up to 10 psi and let it sit. No drop in pressure means no leaks! When testing for a head gasket leak, a slow rise in pressure is normal as the coolant warms up. Rapid pressure movement on the gage shows a blown head gasket.

I am going to do it this way but with a Pressure tster from the radiator once i install the overflow system

just was trying to figure out where both go i can clearly figure out the top breather hose go above the radiator near the hande bars

will be figruing this out when i get a new cap dang all it does is come out the cap or over flow tube

i plugged the over flow tube but it then really came out the cap

#21 ·
Plumb the bottom hose into the overflow hose that comes from under the radiator cap, then the top of hose is actually a vent, just dangles down, but if over filled, it will to dump the excess out of the system. Don't plug that, because the coolant level won't rise or fall when the Tstat opens or closes. If needed, I can send a pic.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.