Arctic Cat Prowler Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys

FYI - I wanted to let you know of a potential problem with the XTZ 1000 cooling system bleed screw. Arctic Cat has a new part out to replace the original but they didn't tell anyone about it. This screw could cause you to be stranded and out of coolant very quickly and could pose a threat because of the hot coolant that will escape rapidly through this hole. The bleeder screw on the XTZ 1000 is under the engine cover just to the left of the ignition coil on the passenger side and is very close to the thermostat housing. I don't have a picture with my cover off or I would post it. Look at the picture of how mine broke and I recommend everyone check and replace this with the new one. I got a few of them from Chris at EAAC so I can tell you the new one is much better and has an aluminum o-ring instead of rubber. It appears as though the hole that is machined into this screw on the original part took a little to much material out and leaves the screw vulnerable to failure. It is exposed to a lot of heat and steam and the more you have bleed your system the quicker this will fail. Arctic Cat calls this a bolt union and the new part is 3004-346 and the old one was 0423-984.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
Hey guys

FYI - I wanted to let you know of a potential problem with the XTZ 1000 cooling system bleed screw. Arctic Cat has a new part out to replace the original but they didn't tell anyone about it. This screw could cause you to be stranded and out of coolant very quickly and could pose a threat because of the hot coolant that will escape rapidly through this hole. The bleeder screw on the XTZ 1000 is under the engine cover just to the left of the ignition coil on the passenger side and is very close to the thermostat housing. I don't have a picture with my cover off or I would post it. Look at the picture of how mine broke and I recommend everyone check and replace this with the new one. I got a few of them from Chris at EAAC so I can tell you the new one is much better and has an aluminum o-ring instead of rubber. It appears as though the hole that is machined into this screw on the original part took a little to much material out and leaves the screw vulnerable to failure. It is exposed to a lot of heat and steam and the more you have bleed your system the quicker this will fail. Arctic Cat calls this a bolt union and the new part is 3004-346 and the old one was 0423-984.
Great Info!

·
Registered
656 Posts
Good info. You haven't heard of any problems like this for the 650's have you?

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I looked up the 2008 650 XT and the only part I can find in the cooling section that has been changed is the o-ring that goes in front of the temperature sensor at the bottom left side of the radiator. It appears that it is most likely just a problem on the XTZ 1000.

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I also searched the 2007 PROWLER XT 650 H1 AUTOMATIC 4X4 CAT GREEN and they show a new radiator and the new o-ring at the temp sensor. Your XT may have the old radiator and I am not sure what they changed so I can't help you there. the old part number on the radiator is 0413-043 and the new part is 0413-184. and for the o-ring the old is 0423-390 and the new is 1602-213. I wouldn't be to worried about the o-ring just replace it with the new one the next time you actually take the sensor out. As for the radiator maybe call your dealer and see what has been changed.

·
Registered
618 Posts
What year superceded the 09 number?

2010's got the new or old?

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
What year superceded the 09 number?

2010's got the new or old?
I can't answer that because the parts search I have only goes to 2009. You could call your dealer and they may be able to answer this for you. You can tell by looking at the union bolt or bleeder screw and if it is gold in color it is probably the old one. The new ones look more silver in color. Also if you unscrew the one you have and there is a rubber o-ring under it than it's the old one.

·
Registered
656 Posts
I also searched the 2007 PROWLER XT 650 H1 AUTOMATIC 4X4 CAT GREEN and they show a new radiator and the new o-ring at the temp sensor. Your XT may have the old radiator and I am not sure what they changed so I can't help you there. the old part number on the radiator is 0413-043 and the new part is 0413-184. and for the o-ring the old is 0423-390 and the new is 1602-213. I wouldn't be to worried about the o-ring just replace it with the new one the next time you actually take the sensor out. As for the radiator maybe call your dealer and see what has been changed.
Thanks a lot for all your help and effort. People like you is what makes this site the best!

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
Hey guys

Didnt you say you were running DexCool?

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Didnt you say you were running DexCool?
I know what you are thinking Joe but this union bolt or bleed screw failed long before I ran Dexcool. They have a new improved union bolt/bleed screw out for the XTZ 1000 for a reason and it's not related to Dexcool. Besides I have run Dexcool in my 2005 2500HD Silverado since new and my cooling system and all the associated parts are in incredible condition with 65,000 miles and I plan on continuing to run it. Thanks for bringing that up Joe I know you are just trying to help out.

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
I know what you are thinking Joe but this union bolt or bleed screw failed long before I ran Dexcool. They have a new improved union bolt/bleed screw out for the XTZ 1000 for a reason and it's not related to Dexcool. Besides I have run Dexcool in my 2005 2500HD Silverado since new and my cooling system and all the associated parts are in incredible condition with 65,000 miles and I plan on continuing to run it. Thanks for bringing that up Joe I know you are just trying to help out.
Yes, I thought I had an Idea. Sorry.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts